The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anything like Apogee Duet for PC ? Audio Interfaces
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Anything like Apogee Duet for PC ?

I heard alot of good things about Apogee Duet but since i am a PC user I would like to know if there is anything similar for PC ?

I have a m-audio firewire 1814 but I don't need all these inputs and output so I would like to trade quantity for quality. All I need is output for my 2 monitors 1 analog input, 1 digital input (coaxial or optic)

Price let's say around 500$

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Old 20th December 2010
At that price range I think anything would be a sideways move - best stick with what you have. The Duet is good for what it's designed for, but it's not really high end either.

Really high quality conversion costs - and i don't think that Apogee are giving away the family jewels in their budget models. They are popular because they are cheap and portable and work with Macs. And certainly adequate. But I have never seen a published noise floor spec for them, which is usually an admission of embarrassment, and anecdotal evidence suggests that noise level is not brilliant. Not that this is a problem for most users in noisy environments.

If you want cheap high quality conversion for a PC, I would suggest standalone 2 channel converters. The old Lucid 9624 models are very good and should be fairly cheap now. For D/A, I think the Benchmark DAC-1 is brilliant but probably out of your price range. These can be used over practically any spdif interface, and the M-Audio stuff is ideal.

Good conversion requires a very good analog path, and good power supply and good clock. The cheap bus powered stuff will always be compromised - even if they use the same converter chips. The audio shielding is also an issue - a moulded plastic box just can't offer any shielding, and can't compare with a good steel box.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

RME Babyface?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

The Sound Devices "USBPre 2" is another option.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Thx for your recommendations guyz... for sure I don't want to make any "sideways move" and waste my money... I don't hate my m-audio firewire 1814 it allow me to still run my Pro Tools 8 and everything... but since I upgraded all the rest of my home studio it look like it's my weakest link. For the moment I do the conversion of my analog to digital in a Dbx Quantum but since it make ALOT of things I don't really care about... I tought maybe a good soundcard with good converter should be better... but sometime the better move is to not move at all , so maybe I went a litle bit too crazy about gear and don't need to change my soundcard ?!

Thanks

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search