The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Advice for a relatively new engineer. Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Thank you soooooo much guys, you cannot possibly believe how grateful I am for all your help!! heh
This should not sound harsh but think about it.

Did you ever worked in professional places?
YES?
NO?

If YES how long did you work and which clients you serviced?

If NO why should they hire an inexperienced guy?

I think with no or just small experience; it starts with being the tea boy normally,- if ever in this economic situation.

With the years you may go up the latter if there is talent.

I always ask myself why people believe I own a big place.
I am not - I am a composer and only have a fair-small place for my needs.

I often get those CVs via Mail.
I dont want to employ someone, because I simple cant.

But if I could I would take someone who has 1000% more experience than I have. He has job and I can learn from his experience.

To me the question is what makes you special for them?
I also just would not write to them.
Just visit them and ask the studio manager to talk to him --- you have questions how to get in there!!!

Ask a studio manger in person what can you help to get a small paid job in a professional place.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
This should not sound harsh but think about it.

Did you ever worked in professional places?
YES?
NO?

If YES how long did you work and which clients you serviced?

If NO why should they hire an inexperienced guy?

I think with no or just small experience; it starts with being the tea boy normally,- if ever in this economic situation.

With the years you may go up the latter if there is talent.

I always ask myself why people believe I own a big place.
I am not - I am a composer and only have a fair-small place for my needs.

I often get those CVs via Mail.
I dont want to employ someone, because I simple cant.

But if I could I would take someone who has 1000% more experience than I have. He has job and I can learn from his experience.

To me the question is what makes you special for them?
I also just would not write to them.
Just visit them and ask the studio manager to talk to him --- you have questions how to get in there!!!

Ask a studio manger in person what can you help to get a small paid job in a professional place.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying MrHolmes, but I'm thinking of going freelance to try and get my experience up by quite a bit. Cheers for the reply though
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

OK, get this. So an old tutor of mine from a course I did told me that sending letters and CV's is THE BEST way of looking for jobs, and this is coming from a guy who's well established in the industry. I can't believe he's sent me on a wild goose chase :-( Oh well, in a month or so, I'm gonna begin my search for bands so I can go freelance. What do you people think about me asking for sessions as a freelance engineer in a real professional facility?? Am I punching above my weight or not?

Cheers
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 1st January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
OK, get this. So an old tutor of mine from a course I did told me that sending letters and CV's is THE BEST way of looking for jobs, and this is coming from a guy who's well established in the industry. I can't believe he's sent me on a wild goose chase :-( Oh well, in a month or so, I'm gonna begin my search for bands so I can go freelance. What do you people think about me asking for sessions as a freelance engineer in a real professional facility?? Am I punching above my weight or not?

Cheers
Well, it's probably been a long time since your "old tutor" had to break into the industry, and times have changed with the glut of young graduates from the many recording schools these days, all competing for work.

I think it's impossible for any of us to know what you are ready for as an engineer. You have to be the judge. If your experience is in smaller studios, then you will at least need a second engineer who is familiar with the equipment in the larger studio.

You might consider looking for an intermediate level studio to work in for awhile...

Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Well, it's probably been a long time since your "old tutor" had to break into the industry, and times have changed with the glut of young graduates from the many recording schools these days, all competing for work.

I think it's impossible for any of us to know what you are ready for as an engineer. You have to be the judge. If your experience is in smaller studios, then you will at least need a second engineer who is familiar with the equipment in the larger studio.

You might consider looking for an intermediate level studio to work in for awhile...

Yeah, it must have been a long time ago, he was telling me about how he was a Tape Op at a place called Church Studios. Cheers for the advice Trackworx, means a lot
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Meet everyone you can. Bands playing gigs, people who attend professional society meetings (yes, there are some working engineers and producers who sometimes go to those things). Here in the US we've got the AES and the Recording Academy (Grammys); also the IEEE which sometimes gets into the audio/recording side of things.

WW
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Cheers Bill, thanks for the advice thumbsup
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
It's challenging, but it's fun!

I'll agree with you there heh
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

I'm REALLY sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but I saw something whilst surfing the world wide web, and it made me think.... Here's a quote which I found on the musicjobs UK website forums. Apologies to the guy who originally wrote this for stealing your quote, if you're reading....

Quote:
I'm a freelance sound engineer, I'm really passionate and experienced,
I've got my own equipment but I also work in a professional studio
here in London.
I've basically told myself that I want to go into freelancing, but the problem I got is this, will studio's actually employ freelancers? After reading the rest of this thread, I've found that you would definitely need to bring your own clients, but if I was a freelancer and got a so-called job/gig/whatever you want to call it in a studio, would I be able to work with their clients too?

Sorry if my question seems really stupid, it must feel like your talking to a wall when you're talking to me, but I would really like some clarification on the subject. The way the guy in the quote put it, he made it sound like the studio is employing him on some kind of short-term contract. Or maybe it's me going crazy. If I am going crazy please don't hesitate to tell me

Thanks guys, this thread has been really helpful to me
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

freelancer = a person that brings their OWN clients in to a studio

staff employee = i hope you get the point

good luck on your musical journey!
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you. I just needed clarification Thanks again.
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Not meaning to put the cat amongst the pigeons, but in the 90s I needed a studio because I didn't have all the kit myself and couldn't afford it.

But these days of infinite everything on a DAW / Laptop why would I need to pay anyone to do this for me?

My genre is electronic dance (trance / techno / house etc) and I know many many artists some more successful than others but I can tell you, NONE of them use a pro studio.

A mastering house yes but a studio? TBH, I don't even know if there are any left near me. I haven't looked though, why would I? I have no need what so ever.

To bottom line it to the OP. If you can make a compelling argument why I should pay you (especially starting out without) instead of doing it myself for free, im all ears. Some of the best trance music gets played on a show called 'a state of trance.' Most of it is made by bedroom artists. Some of the tracks are that well produced I wouldn't know how anyone else could improve them any further?

Add to this the fact that no one buys music anymore and all as music is is simply a promotional tool so you can make money playing live (sad but true) I don't see where there is any excess of money to pay you with unless I am one of the worlds top artists. But even then I wouldn't use a $100 guy, sorry.

How id love to be able to make a living from music. But I think these days there isn't a worse choice for a steady income. Most people on here have been set up since the 90's and have managed to hang on. I cannot think how the hell you'd even make a start these days what with everyone having a studio on there wrist watch.

Im not trying to be a dick here. Maybes bands that play conventional music are different, but for me and my gang we mix as we go, then off to the mastering house then job done.
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Guru

Dan, are you a musician ? if so, rent a few hours at the studio you would like to work at .. record something and see how they treat you. you may wish to look elsewhere once you are on the other side of the glass.

if not a musician, can you find a band locally that you can take into a studio. (maybe someone has already suggested this) even a singer songwriter. and record something. and, find someone that has a few dollars. late night hours are cheaper. you may work for bangers and mash from the band just to get your foot in the door With Them.

you could act like a producer and nod your head when you like what you hear or shake your head if you do not quite like it yet.

maybe, live gigs to find a band you would like to take into the studio. do some live recordings in a local place for low money or Food (there's those bangers and mash again) ... record anything, for anyone, anytime ...

just thinking out loud a bit for you ...

cheers

john
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Sweet, thanks Major Tom & jwh1192. Major Tom, I totally see where you're coming from, but I'm just hoping there is someone out there who will want to pay me for some mixing!

@jwh1192, I'm not a musician, but the idea of looking for a singer songwriter is a really cool idea, thanks for the idea heh

On a different note, my thanks to EVERYBODY who contributed to this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your responses and am really grateful for all the help so far. I really means a lot!! I think I FINALLY understand how to go about it now and I may get this thread closed now. Thanks again guys!!!
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search