The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First Outboard gear: EQ or Compressor? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Head

I know, i'm not talking nowadays, I'm talking about "how will it be in a couple of years", when digital has (sonically) completely reached the level of analog gear (some already has). If you watch the huge improvement that was made within the last ten years (from almost unusable to almost as good as analog in many places) and think, let's say ten years from now. Chances are, that the still high priced analog gear will go down the same road, my finalizer did, because it can be 100% replaced with all the advantages of digital (recall/workflow/price, etc.).
Is that what I want? No!, buying a nice outboard piece is so much more fun than downloading a UAD authorization. But I'm just scared that in the near future a lot of today's high priced analog boxes, will be in the adds for "a Klicker and a Knopf".

That's all.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Compressor. Make sure it's good, not just any compressor will do.
Old 29th December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataltone View Post
what distressor would you guys suggest

suggest a pair and single models

I'll probably saved and get a stereo version of a distressor...

I keep hearing great things about distressors.......
There are 3 Distressor versions that I know of:
1. EL8
The older mono version lacking the British Mode (like 1176LN all buttons) and the stereo-link feature. Both can be added later as an upgrade kit, AFAIR.
2. EL8-X
The newer mono version including the British Mode and the stereo-linking feature, so you can start with a single mono version and a add a second one later. Link them for stereo-use or use 2 mono units independently. That's the route I will go.
3. EL8-X S
The stereo version of the EL8-X. AFAIR, you get the same thing as if you have bought 2 mono EL8-X's. And it is l€110 cheaper than 2 mono units (€ €2970 vs. 2 x €1540 = €3080).
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Or he could get the ADL1000 which goes for $1450! Anyone ever put the ADL and LA2A up and did a comparison? I know they did so on the Sound Pure site but they`re trying to sell ADLs so... I don`t really take their "reviews" as such.
I used to own 2 ADL 1000's, I think there is something up with their amplifier stage would be my guess, even in bypass they tend to thin out your audio. There are mods available that I've heard will improve the sound. The compressor itself behaves nicely. The Daking Fet is a nice box for around the same money. To the OP
absolutely get a compressor first, it will give you a good excuse to work on mic placement.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get a good compressor. Distressor at a minimum. You shouldn't need to EQ if it's recorded properly.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Get a compressor! Second-hand, of course...
...pay attention on balance between versatility and quality. Search the forum about the both of them.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Distressor is a good all rounder! Me personally would be looking at a pair of
pbc 6a's

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search