The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "I am going to sell 1 million records" guy - what happened? Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

The "I am going to sell 1 million records" guy - what happened?

In early january this year (2010) a guy posted a thread in which he claimed to be able to sell 1 million copies of his entirely self produced album in less than a year. I followed him for a month or two, but lost interest when I realised he only did it for money/fame etc. which are totally the wrong reasons according to me (plus I wasn't really a big fan of his music). Anyways, with 2011 around the corner, I am curious of what he managed to accomplish in terms of sales etc. I have been trying to find the thread in where it all began (I think it was called "I am going to sell ONE MILLION RECORDS!!! or something in the vincinity) but I can't seem to find it. I'm guessing that the whole project was a major failure and he has crept back in shame, since he did provide the community with some rather bold statements about the likelyhood of his success. Anyways, it would be nice to know if any of you guys have seen or heard anything.

Peace!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

yeah i remember that too- what was his name.... justin bieber i think? i wonder how he did
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsswtpmp182 View Post
yeah i remember that too- what was his name.... justin bieber i think? i wonder how he did
Can't have been JB - he's not old enough to read yet.

Or able to see under that Lego wig of a haircut.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevico View Post
In early january this year (2010) a guy posted a thread in which he claimed to be able to sell 1 million copies of his entirely self produced album in less than a year. I followed him for a month or two, but lost interest when I realised he only did it for money/fame etc. which are totally the wrong reasons according to me (plus I wasn't really a big fan of his music). Anyways, with 2011 around the corner, I am curious of what he managed to accomplish in terms of sales etc. I have been trying to find the thread in where it all began (I think it was called "I am going to sell ONE MILLION RECORDS!!! or something in the vincinity) but I can't seem to find it. I'm guessing that the whole project was a major failure and he has crept back in shame, since he did provide the community with some rather bold statements about the likelyhood of his success. Anyways, it would be nice to know if any of you guys have seen or heard anything.

Peace!
Yeah, I actually subscribed to his YouTube Channel and was pulling for him but after the first month when he started to put some music samples up, he really didn`t have much there so I think he even realized it. Seriously, to sell a million copies, he had to have the music done in the first 2-3 weeks and that had to be put online... it never went viral so... that would have helped.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

The thread is on a Good news channel. The guy himself has long stopped posting on it. I listened to his tracks on a skip mode and it didn't take a long time. heh

I was all for him at start, but when it became apparent he didn't have much anything to back his claims I lost interest.

He seemed to be the kind of individual who is obsessed of getting rich quick and with minimal effort. His other ventures involved reserving and selling domain names. He also had the incident where Apple took away his domain in court. A domain he clearly reserved in the purpose of selling it to Apple for a good money.

The venture would have been really interesting to watch if there would have been some actual content behind the marketing scenario. But the songs were made only because he needed to have something to sell.

He didn't give the general public much credit. And in return he didn't receive much money from it. heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

A Funny thing .. His attitude seemed to come from a combination of Anthony Robbins positive thinking (which is not a bad thing), and that unique sense of delusion shared by "Stars". He typifies the "GoldRush" mentality of this decade. Like others similar to him, he thought it would be Too Easy ..

The smart money in this decade was in selling the tools make music to people like him. Millions of people have jumped in to the entertainment industries. Every man and his dog thinking they have something important to say, and feeling the need to be "Bigger" than the person next to them. People should forget this ****, relax, and just try playing a bit of music. It will make the world a much nicer place.

I've worked with a few bands who have done well in this decade (no mean feat when you come from Australia). The one thing I can say from these experience are, it takes a TEAM of people and the Heavens to be in alignment, to make success happen. I have been humbled by the experience. Amen
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't want to get rich per se, but I wonder how 'hard' it really would be to sell a million records. I think that would just be an awesome accomplishment you can look back on at the end of a career. That, and playing to a packed stadium at least once.

What say you?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I don't want to get rich per se, but I wonder how 'hard' it really would be to sell a million records. I think that would just be an awesome accomplishment you can look back on at the end of a career. That, and playing to a packed stadium at least once.

What say you?
I say... think of each of your fingers as a sale... now hold them up and prove each sale. I think most people can't really fathom a million individual of anything. With the federal govt spinning around billions and trillions like it is nothing, we almost lost the concept of a million.

Try and sell just 1000 individual sales. Now do that again 1000 more times. Who has time to keep record of that many. That is why there is ASCAP and BMI and the rest... Not that I am defending them.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:

What say you?
I'd say most folks probably have a better chance of the latter than the former -- at least unless one stipulates that they be the headliner.

It's getting harder and harder to sell a large number of records.

And the tiny, tiny slice of albums that sell more than, say, 10,000 copies is dwarfed by the enormous number that do not.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

What say you?
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his endeavor. It was his attitude and approach that made one shake their head.

Ray Subsonic hit it on the head... "The one thing I can say from these experience are, it takes a TEAM of people and the Heavens to be in alignment, to make success happen. I have been humbled by the experience. Amen"

Anyone who has a goal and takes daily steps to reach it not only has my support but I will do my best to promote it. He seemed to have very little idea into how much work this was going to be and that it was most likely going to take more than just him.

The other thing is and I didn`t let this get me pissed but there are a lot of songwriters, producers, mixers who work their tails off for years completely unacknowledged for doing great work. And they go about their work with humbleness and appreciation. Two things he seemed to be lacking.

If anything he did give me some ideas if I were ever to "broadcast myself".
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudevico View Post
I followed him for a month or two, but lost interest when I realised he only did it for money/fame etc. which are totally the wrong reasons according to me
Yeah, money and fame suck.
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
heh

Well, they suck the heart and soul out of music, to be sure.

But a lot of folks even find they don't bring happiness. It's a weird world, no question.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well, he may be gone, but I'm still here, baby!! And I sold DOZENS and DOZENS of records in 2010. In 2011 I'm gonna sell Dozens and Dozens and Dozens!!!

Last edited by BudgetMC; 20th December 2010 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: All of a sudden the word DOZEN looks really funny to me. He he... just look at it!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I wouldn't mind making big bucks on my music, but I would never let it get in the way of creating something I am actually proud of musically (easy for me to say considering I haven't made any money on my music). This guy virtually said that he knew that the music wasn't that good, but that he wasn't working on his "musical materpiece", rather a way to aquire fame. When he deliberately let the fame and money factor affect his music to the worse, I lost respect and interest. I wish him all the best of luck, but I wont buy his record...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Well, he may be gone, but I'm still here, baby!! And I sold DOZENS and DOZENS of records in 2010. In 2011 I'm gonna sell Dozens and Dozens and Dozens!!!

This is the kind of spirit that makes you want to listen to somebody's records!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Aww yea. I got 2 new fans on my reverbnation page in 2010. Bring 2011 on!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Justin ended up doing pretty well. I think he went on to have several hit records.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

What say you?
I reckon if that was your life goal, and you were so focused on achieving that, even if you did achieve it, it would be disappointing. It is quite a self-centred goal too..
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Stalkers.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
"Try and sell just 1000 individual sales."

Maybe this is what he really meant, but just put in too many zereos......heh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
I reckon if that was your life goal, and you were so focused on achieving that, even if you did achieve it, it would be disappointing. It is quite a self-centred goal too..
artist and self centered/self important go hand in hand.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

I think all of you should ease up on the guy. He still has another week and a half to go.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

People like this really grind my gears.

I'd be content if 10,000 people download my free music across my entire life.

And someone has already registered starark.com and put up links to free mp3 downloads, maybe it was this *********, hoping to sell it back to me !
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

c'mon d o u c h e b ag isn't a swear
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I think all of you should ease up on the guy. He still has another week and a half to go.
heh
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

I was pissed! I wouldn't even look at his thread. I thought it was an established artist, not some shmoe.

It's all I can do to even get people to hear my tunes, let alone pay for them!

I thought it was like "Goody-Goody Gumdrops for Me! I'm about to break the million record mark", not "All you need is a good angle".
Poor deluded Shmoe
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm hot on your tail, Budget, I sold a dozen! Actually, close to two dozen, so, technically, that's dozens!heh Math ain't my strong suit.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Oh crap! I totally forgot to do this this year: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/good-...ml#post5158588

I knew there was something I was missing. I guess I better get moving on it. Is anyone out there in the market for like a hundred-thousand ringtones or so? I can let 'em go real cheap. Just send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ark View Post
I'd be content if 10,000 people download my free music across my entire life
I posted a remix on myspace last year that got 25000 plays in about a year with zero promotion. My page has under 9000 hits total to this day. I enjoyed it and the emails.

Its all about the underground.

25000 plays and I haven't made a penny. Ive done regular records too but I love me the underground...

Thats music.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

In the year 2011, I am going to think about women one million times. OMG! I've already started!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search