The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "I am going to sell 1 million records" guy - what happened? Modular Synthesizers
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I remember the dude, poor guy, i remember he had a wife and kids, and he was always saying how his wife supported him and liked his songs. I guess that the really hard part is not dealing with all of us or the rest of the music community, including the few people who bought his album.

The really hard part will be dealing with his wife, kids, and family, explaining to them that what everyone thought about him was true, that he spent all that money and time for nothing, and that he failed even if he was optimistic and positive about his project....

Anyway, i admire that the guy had the guts to try it, and that he believed in himself. But if you have no talent, you cant sing, your songs suck, you are too old/ugly to use your looks to be famous, and you promote yourself in the wrong way, then it doesnt matter how much self steem you have, or how great your attitude is or how big your goals are, you know its dead from the beginning.

I think that the guy could have saved himself from all this if he followed his heart. A great guy recently told me, if you have two opinons of something, one coming from your brain and one from your heart, always listen to your heart, because your heart doesnt know how to lie. So i think he was thinking that he could do it if he followed the correct marketing techniques (which looked very similar to an internet scam) and if he did what the "new age of music" books told him to do. But in the bottom of his heart he knew he wouldnt make it.....
Old 21st December 2010
Well totally it can be done in a cynical way, just look at Justified Ancients/KLF.

I think you can't be a huge success unless you try to aim for the "impossible", meaning something way outside of your comfort zone. So good for anyone that tries.

But at the same time I believe in the adage that if you truly believe in your dreams, and follow your star, you're still going to be beaten by all the people who worked hard instead.

Of course I have to admit I really don't see what's wrong with enjoying music for the sake of, well, enjoying making music and experimenting with music as a hobby either. Sometimes it can come in handy if you need a cheap soundtrack for a job, but nothing wrong with amateurs in any field IMO. Success can be personal too, doesn't have to mean selling a million recor... er... downloads.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I think all of you should ease up on the guy. He still has another week and a half to go.
Good point.

Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
I remember listening to his music and I was wondering if the 'I am going to sell 1 million' was becoming further and furthermore unrealistic. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

I had an EP I did when in a band that got close to 200 sales, and that was a massive achievement, and mainly through physical copies.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampottt View Post
I remember listening to his music and I was wondering if the 'I am going to sell 1 million' was becoming further and furthermore unrealistic. I'm sure he's a nice guy.

I had an EP I did when in a band that got close to 200 sales, and that was a massive achievement, and mainly through physical copies.
From my own experience, I would say gigging is NOW the best way to sell CDs and merchandise. I think since I started selling my music on line, I have had about 100 legal downloads and sold 4 CDs online.

Now as far as gigging... I recently put out a Christmas CD which has sold over 200 copies in 8 days. If you`re constantly heard live, people know what they`re getting.
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
From my own experience, I would say gigging is NOW the best way to sell CDs and merchandise. I think since I started selling my music on line, I have had about 100 legal downloads and sold 4 CDs online.

Now as far as gigging... I recently put out a Christmas CD which has sold over 200 copies in 8 days. If you`re constantly heard live, people know what they`re getting.
Completely agree, we sold the CD's whilst gigging. I'm not in a band now though, completely focused on studio work. Better for many reasons, though if I wanted to put a CD out, which I'm planning on doing, it's going to be difficult.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

The 1 million records guy was totally deluded.

I'm happy when I put out a record that makes a PROFIT no matter how many copies it sells (and I can do that starting at a few hundred copies).

I keep trying to move towards all digital distribution (bandcamp is a great step in that direction), but fortunately and unfortunately, the big sellers are still CDs at gigs. Like a poster said before, 90% of the sales of my last record were physical product sold in person.
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Guru

I'm just happy if people don't laugh at me. That's all I want. Well, actually, that might be a bit much to ask. I guess I'll have to be happy as long as too many people don't laugh at me.
Old 22nd December 2010
i gotta say that thread was glorious.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I A great guy recently told me, if you have two opinons of something, one coming from your brain and one from your heart, always listen to your heart, because your heart doesnt know how to lie....
Hm, my head keeps telling my heart, "yer gunna crash and burn." I'm too old and homely to sell anything but my songs, and yeah, I sold way more at gigs than online.

Agreed, Sameal, very good thread!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Good point.

Ernest honestly man, i cant read anything you say due to two very big reasons on your Avatar! WOW
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroper View Post
I don't want to get rich per se, but I wonder how 'hard' it really would be to sell a million records. I think that would just be an awesome accomplishment you can look back on at the end of a career. That, and playing to a packed stadium at least once.

What say you?
A good way to approach this would be to look at a few historically recognizable albums and see how many copies they sold to get an idea of the popularity / sales / scale concept.

ex:
This Years Model - Costello
Joe Jackson - Look Sharp
Jackson Brown - Saturate Before using
Al Stewart - the year of the cat

etc etc
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

**** i was wondering what happened that guy awhile ago
wonder did he actually think he would sell that many records
massive bands have a hard time selling that..o well..
still with regard to someone saying they would be happy if 10000 people download their music for free..
I just cannot agree with the free music thing..it kinda devaulates you as a musican..people see things as free has having less value
Old 22nd December 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
Well, he may be gone, but I'm still here, baby!! And I sold DOZENS and DOZENS of records in 2010. In 2011 I'm gonna sell Dozens and Dozens and Dozens!!!
Dad Life on Vimeo
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember the dude, poor guy, i remember he had a wife and kids, and he was always saying how his wife supported him and liked his songs. I guess that the really hard part is not dealing with all of us or the rest of the music community, including the few people who bought his album.

The really hard part will be dealing with his wife, kids, and family, explaining to them that what everyone thought about him was true, that he spent all that money and time for nothing, and that he failed even if he was optimistic and positive about his project....

Anyway, i admire that the guy had the guts to try it, and that he believed in himself. But if you have no talent, you cant sing, your songs suck, you are too old/ugly to use your looks to be famous, and you promote yourself in the wrong way, then it doesnt matter how much self steem you have, or how great your attitude is or how big your goals are, you know its dead from the beginning.

I think that the guy could have saved himself from all this if he followed his heart. A great guy recently told me, if you have two opinons of something, one coming from your brain and one from your heart, always listen to your heart, because your heart doesnt know how to lie. So i think he was thinking that he could do it if he followed the correct marketing techniques (which looked very similar to an internet scam) and if he did what the "new age of music" books told him to do. But in the bottom of his heart he knew he wouldnt make it.....
I still believe music just can sell if the artist is into what he is doing.
If he believes the lyrics and his music is his religion.

A deep believe into a higher connection and doing the things your heart tells you is the trick in my opinion- and this is acutely no trick.
I could write my songs on the sofa and no one ever will listen to them.
Thats what I did in the past ten years.

And don't feel I have to show them to anyone I could throw them into the ocean and just remember the joy I had composing them.

All those marketing hyped Bands how long do they last?
How long do people remember those plastic projects?

I have friends -songwriters; just traveling around Europe with a guitar and having a small Fan-Base in every country.
They can live from it they don't get rich but their inner-kingdom is -> they are happy with what they do.

If you do music try to be happy with what you do; write songs from you heart- songs you believe in.
Don't try to make music because you think you will get rich or famous, this should not be your intension.

I wrote some music for different small TV-stuff in 2010....
It feels like selling your soul- because you don't believe in what you write.

Happy X MAS from Germany to all GS.
Old 22nd December 2010
Deleted User
cleanup
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ernest honestly man, i cant read anything you say due to two very big reasons on your Avatar! WOW
Yeah, I have no idea what I`m saying either... what?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search