The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
$150 to spend on a UAD plug - suggestion?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I recently bought the UAD-2 Solo Flexi that came with the $500 coupon for plugs. I'm about to buy the Studer A800 (did the demo - blown away) for $350 which leaves me $150 left over. If I'm not mistaken, I get 20% off the next plugin. I record solo, instrumental acoustic and electric guitar and I'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion of what I might like.

Here's my list of current plugs:
  • Studer A800
  • 1176LN
  • 1176SE
  • CS-1 LA2A
  • Pultec EQP-1A
  • RealVerb-Pro
Other gear/software:
  • Chandler LTD-1
  • Aurora GTQ2
  • Waves Silver bundle so I'm covered on a convolution reverb
My pres are Neve'ish so the Neve 1073 bundle wouldn't help. I've been considering the EMT 250 reverb but I have the Waves convolution and then SuperTaps and love them both so much already.

Any suggestions? I record solo, instrumental acoustic and electric guitar
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

SSL E -Channel or the Neve Channel.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Prec Limiter
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

how are those plugs-ins that come in that UAD Flexi bundle I have a great vst instrument bundle w/ komplete 7 and looking 4 a complete bundle where I feel I will never need to buy another bundle my comp is wicked fast or will be as it will be built by feb. I feel i will never have to add another vst since i brought komplete and what that same feeling w/ a fx plug-in bundle I record,produce,mix christian rap RnB type gospel as well as choir type gospel music looking 4 a bundle that will add flavor to my mixes as well as just everyday staples 4 rec. And mixing sessions using cubase 4 right now soon 5
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks. I kind of like the idea of the Neve channel strip considering I'm tracking mainly with Neveish gear. I'll go try out these three for demo purposes now.

Any other ideas?
Old 20th December 2010
I haven't used it, but the Echoplex looks fun. Also, it might be worth a demo of the DBX 160, which I believe is redesigned with an official license from DBX and replaced the original DBX "inspired" model. I really like VCA compression, so that would be appeal to me.

I think if you had the 1176, LA-2A, LA-3A, DBX, and Fairchild compressors that would be everything you'd ever need for compression.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I use the 4K compressor in every mix! It is Godsent.

On master bus try adding the Putec (No Settings) and followed by the 4K just tickeling the needle and using the make up gain into a limiter.

I was in love with the Precision Limiter until FG-X.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

How about this: I'm using/loving the Studer A800 "effect" on the sound. The harder I drive the Input, the more tape compression it's adding. Since I'm recording solo, instrumental acoustic guitar lately so much, would you recommend using a compressor in addition to the Studer plug?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Whigham View Post
Since I'm recording solo, instrumental acoustic guitar lately so much, would you recommend using a compressor in addition to the Studer plug?

I personally would recommend the Plate 140 plugin. That sounds niiiiice. heh

I wouldn't think that you need a compressor in addition to the studer because you're already getting the compression by driving the input. Unless of course, using another comp gets you the sound you want, then go for it heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

That Cambridge EQ might come in handy.

Or, since you have the discount, maybe toss in a little extra and go for the Fatso or the Trident A-Range.
Old 20th December 2010
I use the Neve 1073 and the RE-201 Roland Space Echo the most.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
+1 to what DanDaMan said, the plate 140. For guitar instrumentals I think that would be a really good addition.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have the Solo too and love the package that came with it. I honestly haven't been thinking of adding any because it came with everything I need. In addition to the regular package that you got, I also got the Neve 88RS when I got my card. I use that alot! If you need a suggestion and have the funds to spare, I suggest the 88RS.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Plate 140! - it´s a must have - sounds really amazing
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Plate 140
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Spend some more money and get the Massive Passive! It will blow your mind. The Distressor is a good choice too.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
I personally would recommend the Plate 140 plugin. That sounds niiiiice. heh
Agreed ... simple and does what its meant to do ... I use it on nearly every mix.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

the SPL transient designer can save you in a pinch. that is assuming you dont have the hardware version.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey Scott!
GregJ (from High School) here! Nice to see you on the forums....

I know you just got the UAD-2, and are stoked about the Studer! But don't under estimate the Plate 140.....

Others have said it and I will too - The Plate 140 IS AWESOME!!!!

Now, I am still on the UAD-1 platform and couldn't get the 250 like you can, since you have the UAD-2, but......just because you CAN get the 250 doesn't mean you SHOULD get it BEFORE you try the Plate 140......

And yes, you will have a few dollars left over if you get it at 30% off, but you can consider that a 10% discount towards the Boss Chourus!!! heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Okay - I'll demo the Plate 140 along with the EMT 250. Thanks.

Things like the Massive Passive and other EQs - I'm okay on EQ. I'm tracking through a Chandler LTD-1 and an Aurora Audio GTQ2 and printing EQ. There are a few tweaks I might make but mostly it's mic placement, HPF, and let it go. I may opt for that Neve channel strip though just to keep the EQ all Neve'y. I already have that Pultec though...

Thanks again! I'll post back how it goes
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj View Post
Hey Scott!
GregJ (from High School) here! Nice to see you on the forums....
Mr. Johnson, how nice to see you here All right, I'll do the 140!!!!

FYI: If anyone is interested in hearing the UAD Studer A800 plug, I recorded an amazing cello player last week and ran it through the plug. I loved the sound - you can hear the Before/After plus a few other setting options if you care to:

UAD Studer A800 Sound Tests (solo cello)
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
The SSL Channel strips are wonderful
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have the soundtoys bundle but use Roland Dimension D and Cooper Time cube way more . In fact they are in my starting line up and usually play the whole game . I also have the other UAD delays which are awesome but they are more then what you have to spend . Dbx 160 is wicked on drums and bass but i think that is 2 bills as well .
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Another vote for the 140. The uad EMT verbs are spectacular. Favorite plugs of mine.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
I have to respectfully disagree on the UAD EMT reverbs, both of which I own. I rarely reach for them. The ReLabs LX480 is much better IMHO. Also, if I had the money, I'd get the new Softtube reverb. The sample sounds files I've heard on that are really good, in the same ballpark as the ReLabs LX480.

The UAD Neve 31102 EQ will blow your mind. Try the demo. Like you I have the Studer 800 now, and I suddenly find myself using less compression and often none because that plug does enough. I'm in the same position with 150 left to spend after dropping 350 on the Studer. I'm saving it for their next tape emulation which is likely to be a mastering deck (as opposed to the 24 track the Studer is modeled after).

Also, I agree with Pale Pyramid that the Roland Dimension D and the Cooper Timecube are GREAT for adding subtle space around a track, especially the Timecube. It seems like a specialty plug, but I find myself using it a lot to broaden the space of important stuff.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Addict

Another one to consider is the Moog filter. Great for adding overdrive, wobbliness and filter funkiness to absolutely anything that needs a bit of a lift
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks to everyone. I just wanted to circle back and say that I tried out about 15 different plugs - every single one mentioned in this thread plus more - over the past four days and I finally settled on the Massive Passive and the Neve 31102. I've been having the most "out of the box" luck/fun with those two on acoustic guitar, electric guitar, spoken word, and bass.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just did a quick test recording and found that I loved using these new UAD plugs

Check it out:

http://soundcloud.com/scott-whigham/...10105-excerpt1

I'm using the UAD Studer on each track (a SMP of SDCs), the UAD RealVerb on each track in the opposite channel, and I put the UAD LA2A and the UAD Neve 31102 on the master fader. To me, this was the best sounding stuff that I had been able to do.

It's only about 30 secs - would love some feedback!
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Addict

I think it sounds great. Very nice organic and authentic acoustic guitar sound. The playing is good, so that helps.

Just curious, what did you use for mics/pres/converters?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddachile View Post
I think it sounds great. Very nice organic and authentic acoustic guitar sound. The playing is good, so that helps.

Just curious, what did you use for mics/pres/converters?
Thanks

It's an SMP of Gefell M300s into an Aurora GTQ2 going into LavryBlue converters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search