The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
When mixing, at what RMS level do you aim?
Old 20th December 2010
When mixing, at what RMS level do you aim?

When mixing, at what RMS level do you aim? i mean a mix that will go to mastering.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
When mixing, at what RMS level do you aim? i mean a mix that will go to mastering.
i don't want my mix to go to "mastering" ...so i mix at about -12 to -10.5 depending on program... i put mastering plugs in my 2 buss after i put my vocals in and before rides
Old 20th December 2010
I mix with master limiter on my tracks. -6.5dB rms is cool. if the needle sticks and doesn't move anymore, my clients are happy.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Calibrate your monitor system to K-14, and then mix to 0dB rms.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

-18dB FS RMS, then off to the mastering guy, or I'll pseudo master it myself from there. I check the mix with some comps/limiters around -10 to make sure things are peaking through or not getting lost.

Actually, if I'm not down around that level, I'll get peaks that are in the red.

I'm mixing off a console back into the converters.

It has been working pretty well for me/us.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Why would any number be involved on a mix that is going off for mastering?

If I want something dense and crowded,I mix something that sounds dense and crowded and let the numbers fall where they do.

If I want something open with large impact, I mix something that sounds open with large impact and let the numbers fall where they do.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I usually print 2 versions of each mix, One for client approval and one for mastering...
Mastering is usually anywhere from -20 to -12 depending on the source material.

Client ref is around -8... Hotter than that is just silly. Some ME's don't even hit it that hard.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post
I usually print 2 versions of each mix, One for client approval and one for mastering...

Client ref is around -8... Hotter than that is just silly. Some ME's don't even hit it that hard.
when i saw tony maseratti at AES he said that's what he does too
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundeq View Post

Same here, but my levels are usually -14dB RMS for mastering and -10dB RMS for client refs.
Old 20th December 2010
member no 666

For an RMS level I aim for 0VU [a RMS value] - which will often have peaks that will run 15+db hotter than that -- so, my question to you is are you trying to determine an RMS value while reading the PPM scale on the meters associated with DAW's?

The VU [Volume Unit] scale and the PPM [Peak Program Metering] scales are quite different -- VU being an RMS value, PPM being what it says it is.

Peace.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Forte' RMS levels in the range from 0VU to +3VU, just as nature intended.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I mix around 0VU too...I'm on an analog console mixing to tape. In DAW land that equates to somewhere between -20 dBFS and -14 dBFS. I use K-14 to calibrate my monitors.

Brad
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

-20 to m-14 depending. I use ITB averaging meters (they pretend to be VU meters) set for K-14.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

I also generally end up around-15 RMS with peaks of up to -.3 or so...depends on how specific I wanna get with peaky transients
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
For an RMS level I aim for 0VU [a RMS value] - which will often have peaks that will run 15+db hotter than that -- so, my question to you is are you trying to determine an RMS value while reading the PPM scale on the meters associated with DAW's?

The VU [Volume Unit] scale and the PPM [Peak Program Metering] scales are quite different -- VU being an RMS value, PPM being what it says it is.

Peace.
i refer to the DAW RMS meters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search