The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nebula tape programs?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Nebula tape programs?

Anyone do extensive experimenting with the different Nebula tape programs available - what's the cream of the crop? I know CDsoundmaster's R2R is highly regarded, but even that contains dozens of programs, and I'd rather not spend that much time going through them all. Looking for something to throw on all channels, ie. as real tape machine emulation rather than fx.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

The R2R is the definitive Tape Collection for Nebula, you will want to have this one.
Yes, there are many programs in it, but this is a result of Michael's meticulous sampling process. You get 8 tape machines - two of them regarded as high end (Studer and Otari). All of them are sampled at different levels, which results in sonic differences.
If you want you can render all your tracks with the Studer at 15 ips, -9 db for example. Sounds great. If you want to get deeper, you try Studer 15 ips at different levels on your tracks in the DAW. And if you want to get real deep you include different tape machines in this process, use the Revox on your bass, the Akai on your guitar tracks.
Maybe this sounds like a big time investment, but the truth is - after applying different tape machines with the right levels (and maybe you want the great TapeBooster programs too...) to your tracks, your mix will be halfway where you want it - before using regular EQ.
So feel free to keep it simple, but it's great to be able to use the whole palette of colour anyway. In fact it's that versatility that brought this library the praise of being "the essential Nebula library" for many.

Regards,

Fishmac
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmac View Post
The R2R is the definitive Tape Collection for Nebula, you will want to have this one.
Yes, there are many programs in it, but this is a result of Michael's meticulous sampling process. You get 8 tape machines - two of them regarded as high end (Studer and Otari). All of them are sampled at different levels, which results in sonic differences.
If you want you can render all your tracks with the Studer at 15 ips, -9 db for example. Sounds great. If you want to get deeper, you try Studer 15 ips at different levels on your tracks in the DAW. And if you want to get real deep you include different tape machines in this process, use the Revox on your bass, the Akai on your guitar tracks.
Maybe this sounds like a big time investment, but the truth is - after applying different tape machines with the right levels (and maybe you want the great TapeBooster programs too...) to your tracks, your mix will be halfway where you want it - before using regular EQ.
So feel free to keep it simple, but it's great to be able to use the whole palette of colour anyway. In fact it's that versatility that brought this library the praise of being "the essential Nebula library" for many.

Regards,

Fishmac
Thanks for the feedback! The tapebooster programs have me confused a bit - I thought Nebula still couldn't properly do saturation and compression?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I think the TapeBooster is just used as gain for the R2R programs!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
I think the TapeBooster is just used as gain for the R2R programs!
From the CDSoundmaster Homepage:

Tape Booster +
This is designed specifically to work in unison with R2R to provide additional
scaled volume as it exists from true tape machines. This collection of programs
will work excellent on their own as an accurate tape saturation program, but when
matched with R2R, we now have the proper preparation for truly advanced
volumetric change without harm to peaks. With very careful scaling, one can use
multiple renderings to increase levels into accurate distortion.
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Nut

I got the R2R and Tapebooster collections. I'm of course doing my own experimenting, but every program has to be rendered offline before I can make any comparison. Tedious and boring work, and there are so many programs to choose from, many of which are ill-fitting (radical frequency changes).

What Akai program for heavily distorted/metal guitars?

What's ultra-transparent but punchy on the 2bus?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search