The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which mics would you recommend ? Condenser Microphones
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Which mics would you recommend ?

Hi everybody,
I am currently shopping for a pair of versatile LDC to record everything from drums overheads (they'll have to excel there, I am a drummer), acoustic guitars, sax, percussion, guitar and bass cabs, vocals... I know that's asking a lot from a single pair... but isn't it possible ? The contenders are :

AT 4050
AKG C414 XLS
Pearlman TM1
Peluso 22 251
BeesNeez Arabella

I know the last 3 are not in the same price range, I could afford them, but I would have to sacrifice ( or at least postpone) the purchase of an outboard compressor.
thanks !!!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

oh yeah... I have a Pacifica and 2 Electrodyne 501 for preamps. Thought that would help...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Beesneez Arabella is a wonderful mic. Although it is, I truly recommend the 414 for Overheads. I use them all the time for that purpose and it’s one of my favorite OH mics ever. You get crisp highs, perfect for cymbal hits and rolls and the overall sound has a boost of intelligibility. Other than the 414, I also recommend Royer r-122s.

I haven’t tried the Peluso 22 251, but i’ve heard many good things about that microphone.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Give some serious thought into a pair of BLUE Dragonflys.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Blue Dragonflys are actually very nice microphones indeed. Good suggestion.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichner View Post
Although it is, I truly recommend the 414 for Overheads. I use them all the time for that purpose and it’s one of my favorite OH mics ever. You get crisp highs, perfect for cymbal hits and rolls and the overall sound has a boost of intelligibility.
How would you say the 414 capture the kit as a whole ? I like to get most of my drum sound from the overheads.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I’d say it captures it very well. Super clean and just by soloing the OHs, you will get a bunch of information already. Once it is time to blend the whole kit together, you won’t regret it. It sounds great on guitars and vocals as well. It’s a very balanced microphone that works superb on any occasion.

The high frequency information captured with the 414 will help the cymbals cut through in the mix, especially for those “cymbal rolls” and ride bell dings in songs that require that kind of percussive detail.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Have you tried the Arabella on OH ?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can't go wrong with a 414
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
Have you tried the Arabella on OH ?
Not on OH, but it’s a beautiful sounding microphone.

Bees Neez Arabella Sound Files

This thread will show you what the Arabella can do on various instruments.

Are you going more for a warmth/tube sound or a Solid State/bright sound?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

I haven't tried many microphones, so I wouldn't really know. I guess I would be leaning towards the tube warmth. Although I also like sheen and definition. Maybe I'm the problem here. lol
I'd like to have both options, but right now I'd say I'm looking for versatility above all.
Well I guess I'm not really helping here. lol
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I haven't tried many microphones, so I wouldn't really know. I guess I would be leaning towards the tube warmth. Although I also like sheen and definition. Maybe I'm the problem here. lol
I'd like to have both options, but right now I'd say I'm looking for versatility above all.
Well I guess I'm not really helping here. lol
LOL it’s fine. My pick would be a pair of 414. You can’t go wrong with them. The 414 XLIIs are a great, all-around and defined mic; really well balanced and great for any occasion. It has all the features you need (9 polar patterns, Pad, and Roll-Offs,) so you have many options when it comes down to it.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Cool. I was actually leaning more towards the XLS for a more balanced sound. What do you think ?
Old 20th December 2010
No-brainer - Arabella's all the way.
BTW - with the current deal you would also get 4 x Lulu Fets (for free) which are a beautiful mic similar in sound to the KM84.

I am not a fan of 414's - I always find them a little boxy in the mids.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

hey angus have you tried the arabella's on OH ?
I know I've PMed you a while ago about the beesneez.... just can't seem to make a decision. I've always been kind of slow. lol.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Cool. I was actually leaning more towards the XLS for a more balanced sound. What do you think ?
The XLS is even better with more instruments. I like the sound of the XLIIs for OH, but if you want more versatility, I recommend the XLS or even the earlier EB.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Which mics would you recommend ?

I would recommend TLM102s or AT4033s.
There are no magic mic for everything so there are always better mic for certain situations but above mic should be decent for many cases.
TLM is little bright on top but mid sounds rich and flat so if you can handle the highs, you can use it for many situations.
If budget is not concerned, U87 is one of the most versatile one.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Anyone knows how the U87 and the Arabella (supposedly a U47 incarnation) compare ?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

AT4033 are a good recommendation mowow.

The AKG 451 aren't bad either.

If budget isn't an issue, than KM84s
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Anyone knows how the U87 and the Arabella (supposedly a U47 incarnation) compare ?
U87 is brighter.
Arabella has openness - similarities to U47 / M49.
Not made in China - hand made in OZ - vintage tube.
BeesNeez K7 capsule - which is awesome.
It really is in a class of it's own IMHO.

I've never had a pair to try on OH - but I'm sure they would be stellar.
They would capture the transients beautifully without sounding to harsh / bright on the cymbals.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

451's
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

414s are fantastic as drum OHs - however, the day I use a 414 on a saxophone is the day I forgot to take my earplugs out.

I do like what I've head of BeesNees mics, but haven't used them so I can't say from personal experience.

The JJ Pitbulls are up on drum OHs almost all the time when I track. They also work well for saxophone, percussion, brass, and bass. Wouldn't be my pick for guitar cab. You might need to grab an sm57 for that, but, I wouldn't be opposed to using a Pitbull as a room capture.

4033as are awesome mics - they work well on everything, but are just a wee bit on the thin side.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichner View Post
Beesneez Arabella is a wonderful mic. Although it is, I truly recommend the 414 for Overheads. I use them all the time for that purpose and it’s one of my favorite OH mics ever. You get crisp highs, perfect for cymbal hits and rolls and the overall sound has a boost of intelligibility. Other than the 414, I also recommend Royer r-122s.

I haven’t tried the Peluso 22 251, but i’ve heard many good things about that microphone.
Royer 122s are one of my favorite mics of all time. Very flat response, practically omni polar pattern, handles high spl well - but still has that ribbon character!
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
414s are fantastic as drum OHs - however, the day I use a 414 on a saxophone is the day I forgot to take my earplugs out.
errr, actually a 414TLII is pretty good on saxophone,
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
No-brainer - Arabella's all the way.
BTW - with the current deal you would also get 4 x Lulu Fets (for free) which are a beautiful mic similar in sound to the KM84.

I am not a fan of 414's - I always find them a little boxy in the mids.
Getting the free Lulu's makes this an easy decision. I own a Jade which is pretty killer, the Arabella is the mic I would currently most want to add to my locker. The Beesneez mics are wonderful.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I own three Beesneez mics and while I dig the Arabella, James, and Phelicity, I would not consider them as all-arounder/workhorse type mics.....therefore not my choice for overheads. I'd take the Phelicity out of those but the high end might be a bit too much at times (although you could tame it, still.....).

I think you'd want something more neutral.
The 414 is a known quantity and a good choice IMO.

However, I would not overlook some lower priced mics, such as the CAD 179 or, don't choke, the Studio Projects B3.

A lower priced alternative to the Royers are the Karma K6 (not saying they're Royers though).

Other mics to consider are:
Shure KSM44
AT4050
Rode NT2000

Good luck with your choice.....
Old 21st December 2010
Deleted User
I've never tried them, but i've heard nothing but good things about the AT4050's.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

if it needs to be versatile, the 414 from your list or a Microtech Gefell UMT70S (wich is my favorite actually)

a 4050 is also a very good microphone, but not as flexibel as both mentioned above, idem with the peluso, and probally also the pearlman (but i got no experience with it, it's pure on reviews i've seen from users)
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

I guess it depends on what preamps are being used but I really like the NT4 on OHs.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
oh yeah... I have a Pacifica and 2 Electrodyne 501 for preamps. Thought that would help...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search