The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can my computer power 250ohm DT770 headphones?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Can my computer power 250ohm DT770 headphones?

So here's my laptop's sound info:

Is this capable of powering Beyer DT770 headphones at 80ohms? 250ohms? 600ohms? I really don't know.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

my mobile phone can power my 250 ohm DT770 pros. Its a question of how loud you need it to be I guess.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebay007 View Post
my mobile phone can power my 250 ohm DT770 pros. Its a question of how loud you need it to be I guess.
Loud enough to hear subtleties when mixing and tracking, I guess.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Can I get a good answer, please?
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

It would be very helpful if someone could offer an educated opinion in this matter, thanks.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
It would be very helpful if someone could offer an educated opinion in this matter, thanks.
40 years in the industry, I can tell you this: plug them in and try it!

I was "trying it" when I was 12, and it gave me an immediate answer I could use long before there were internets.

Ues your ears (and brain). Lots of answers there.
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
40 years in the industry, I can tell you this: plug them in and try it!

I was "trying it" when I was 12, and it gave me an immediate answer I could use long before there were internets.

Ues your ears (and brain). Lots of answers there.
Kind of hard to test them when I'm shopping online. If I go in-store, they're not guaranteed to carry the 80, 250, AND 600ohm version, if they even carry them at all.

Also, a related question: If I were to plug in headphones that had a high resistance (say the 600ohm Dt770s) directly into a guitar pre-amp, would that pre-amp be powerful enough to power the headphones for professional tracking? In my case the pre-amp is a 120W Orange Twin Channel.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh, sorry, I thought you had them already. I'll defer to someone who has actually used the combination. I don't have PC and don't have guitar amps.

But I have run headphones off my Macs and recorded from preamp outputs. Don't know how the headphones fit with recording the output.

It is always best to monitor the end of the recording chain, the output of the device doing the recording.

Your laptop sound info pane says nothing about audio. You need power output and impedance specs.

Sorry I can;'t help you but I'd bet it will all work.

L
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjs View Post
Can I get a good answer, please?
Dude, this isn't tech support. Nobody can tell anything from your ridiculous snapshot of the driver. You're in New York. Why don't you call or stop by B&H or some similar place? I bet they can tell you for sure.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I haven't had anything not be able to drive my 770s. I have them hooked up to my mac book pro right now, volume at 50% - They're able to get uncomfortably loud. On my ipod, they get just loud enough to hear comfortably on a the subway, but just.

Edit: I'm using 600 ohm phones that are 14 years old.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwilson View Post
I haven't had anything not be able to drive my 770s. I have them hooked up to my mac book pro right now, volume at 50% - They're able to get uncomfortably loud. On my ipod, they get just loud enough to hear comfortably on a the subway, but just.

Edit: I'm using 600 ohm phones that are 14 years old.
It sounds like in your experience even the highest resistance models are easily powered. I'm only concerned with its ability to register minor nuances in sounds and music in a studio environment (granted it's an amateur setup).

I tried to get more details on the power of my laptop's sound card; all I could find was that it's named 'Intel High Definition Audio 2.2'.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
If you're worried and are set on using the headphone out of your laptop, get the 80ohm. I suggest this not because I'm a pro, but because I own the 80ohm DT770s and have used them this way. I've used them for tracking through an interface, listening through an ipod and occasional reference checking at home.

FWIW, a lot of headphones intended for use with ipods and PC headphone outs seem to have a lower ohm rating.

I just got a pair of Denon AH-D2000s which are 25ohm and I'm not noticing that much difference in terms of output level when comparing them to the DT770s. Not sure how much more detail you're hoping to hear through the same model headphone with different ohm ratings through your laptop soundcard, but I hope this helps you make a choice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search