The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How much sub/bass loss on a Studer? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 21st January 2006
Gear Addict

How much sub/bass loss on a Studer?

hi,

i recorded some test tones and music and wonder why there is a "big" loss of sub/bass. Is this quite normal? Or is something else wrong calibrated on the machine? (Studer A81)

thanks in advance for any help

greets
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Addict

noone ?
Old 23rd January 2006
member no 666

Well without saying what format, what speed, what tape, what machine, blah, blah, blah it's a little tough to guess what you experienced...

My guess [and I do mean guess!!] would be that you aligned the low end repro with a 100Hz tone at 30ips or a 50Hz tone at 15ips which is exactly where the low frequency headbump sits [the "headbump" being a rise of about a db or so in the frequency response... so if you align the repro of the deck to be even at 100 Hz at 30ips then the rest of your low end is a db or so down giving the appearance of a bass loss].

Fortunately, low frequency response is a "repro" only alignment [not a record alignment]... so, you can go back and align the low end with a different tone [if it's on the tape] or a db or two hotter with whatever the lowend tone might have been on the reel.

Now if your reel doesn't have tones on it then just twiddle the pots until you like the sound and leave a little note on the machine that the repro alignment is toally fukked and should be checked before using the machine again...

Best of luck.
Old 23rd January 2006
Gear Addict

thank you fletcher for your big reply. Its on both speeds 7.5 and 15ips. I will check with some testtones these days. The machine itself isnt played much (1000 hours).
maybe theres something wrong with the wiring up to the machine after the mastering chain.

thanks so far!

Old 23rd January 2006
This link shows the frequency charts on most major RTR recorders.

http://www.endino.com/graphs/
Old 23rd January 2006
How can I graph my reel to reels like that? just run white noise in a 0db and then dump it into the computer? would that WORK?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search