The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's talk about the sweet spot Studio Headphones
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Let's talk about the sweet spot

After a long time of micing my Princeton Reverb on the left of the speaker, which I thought sounded fine, I fiiiinally (been recording for 10+ years but still learning) took the time to play a guitar loop and put some headphones and a wool cap over that to listen and find the sweet spot. It was at the bottom edge of the cone, sounded very clear and non-distorted as pointing at the center does. On all the other edges L,R, and top it sounds muffled. I was pretty amazed!
My question is, do engineers ever move the mic once they know the sweet spot for a given amp? I can see getting a rawer flavor from pointing at the center, but why not just stay in my favorite new spot and use distortion?
Any thoughts on this?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFromDenver View Post
After a long time of micing my Princeton Reverb on the left of the speaker, which I thought sounded fine, I fiiiinally (been recording for 10+ years but still learning) took the time to play a guitar loop and put some headphones and a wool cap over that to listen and find the sweet spot. It was at the bottom edge of the cone, sounded very clear and non-distorted as pointing at the center does. On all the other edges L,R, and top it sounds muffled. I was pretty amazed!
My question is, do engineers ever move the mic once they know the sweet spot for a given amp? I can see getting a rawer flavor from pointing at the center, but why not just stay in my favorite new spot and use distortion?
Any thoughts on this?
I usually stick on a pair of extreme isolation headphones and sweep the mic around until I find the spot I feel will complement the guitarist and the song the most. I don't know if there is just one 'sweet spot' on an amp because the room it's, what it's sitting on, the guitar plugged into it that day (the list goes on) will all have an effect on the tone, and as a result the best spot for the mic.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Let's talk about the sweet spot

That's what she said.

Seriously though, I never stop moving mics. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't.

Welcome to art.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good advice.
It's kind of weird then that there are those isolation cabinets which seem to have a fixed position for a mic to sit in.
Furthermore, what am I doing on Gearslutz at 5:30 in the morning
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search