The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
thinking of dropping cubase for reaper. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 20th December 2010
thinking of dropping cubase for reaper.

i got studio four, and more and more I'll start up the devices, go to record and it won't record anything. everything is routed right, i have to restart the program and sometimes that doesn't work.

it always blows out my in's and out's and i always have to reset them after every start-up, even after the last "bug fix"

I'm sick of this crap.

I was looking at reaper for a replacement. seems to get the rave reviews around here.

am i jumping to early? does it sound like a legitimate issue beyond my control? would cubase 5 be a better option?

i don't know. just gave reaper a quick try, and the interface is a bit different but the routing and all that seems alot more straight forward then cubase.
Old 20th December 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Just give it a try... I mean the name ain't great.. and surely Cubase has more options...

But then again it has a good summing mixer (aka no difference from what I've perceived) it's very light weight (a few mb's not gb's ) and is dirt cheap and the company has a nice philosophy around it...

Just go hybrid for a while...

Finish up ongoing stuff in Cubase and start new ones in Reaper and try to learn it.

Also heard their forum is very helpful.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Reaper is the ****.

DO IT DO IT DO IT

Just in time for Version 4. YAY YAY!!!

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I only have the demo version of Reaper, so I've only messed around with it. I haven't used it for a session yet. But just poking around makes me want it. I love the routing.

I plan on buying the license as soon as I get an A&H R16. With Reaper, a laptop and the zed, I'll be set for remote work.

And no joke, having seen some mock-ups of new skins for Reaper V4 made me want to make it my primary DAW.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
I only have the demo version of Reaper, so I've only messed around with it. I haven't used it for a session yet. But just poking around makes me want it. I love the routing.

I plan on buying the license as soon as I get an A&H R16. With Reaper, a laptop and the zed, I'll be set for remote work.

And no joke, having seen some mock-ups of new skins for Reaper V4 made me want to make it my primary DAW.
There's only licensed and un-licensed versions. There's no functional difference. You're using the real thing!

Get busy!

Don't forget the drag and drop routing features! Easiest way to set up sends EVAR!!

ReaInsert is working like a charm over here!

ADA8000 X 3 clocked via RME HDSP 9652 via ADAT Sync. ROCK SOLID!

Yesterday I was running my Gates Solid States Man on mono drum buss with my Altec 1612b on bass (STELLAR)

Gonna hook up my dbx 163x and Valley People Dynamite and get BIZAY!

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Definitely worth a shot to try out. I just started trying out the demo last week and it's definitely interesting. I've probably spent at least 50% of the time spent customizing it (i.e. preferences, custom keys, project settings, etc). But the work flow appears to be very streamlined.

Coming from Cubase SL3 I'm not a huge fan of the GUI, but the fact that it's customizable is awesome. I'm going to try a session out in the next couple weeks to see how it goes, but my expectations are high. I'll probably keep SL3 around at the very least for the drum mapping.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
There's only licensend and un-licensed versions. There's no functional difference. You're using the real thing!

Yeah, I know. I was just saying that I'm buying the license as soon as I start using Reaper for sessions, for ethical reasons.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cubase 5 is a big improvement over 4. There is so much more features and capabilities in Cubase compared to Reaper. I understand your frustration, but I found Cubase 5 to be rock solid. Reaper is still a good program, but if I was going to switch from Cubase, I would go to Samplitude if your running a PC and Logic if going to a Mac.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

We run Sequoia 11 & Reaper. We wont be shelling out for another Sequ upgrade, especially as we can now export DDP with the Sonoris tool.Reaper absolutely ROCKS (though I don't ever use midi) and I love it. The Z-Systems style routing matrix is fantastic, leaps and bounds over the competion,
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I used to use Cubase. Not in a pro studio though. Just a home demo/project studio v3 SX. At first it was cool, but I grew to hate it.

Reaper was worth the jump for the routing capabilities alone. There are no stupid vendor imposed limits. I hate software that has different capabilities by price. I realize it's how they make money, but still. It irks me.

I'm an IT guy so I can't really say I'm intimidated by software. So...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
Yeah, I know. I was just saying that I'm buying the license as soon as I start using Reaper for sessions, for ethical reasons.
Damn I couldn't spell for crap lol

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
thinking of dropping cubase for reaper.

Try and solve your Cubase problems first! It's a great DAW
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Cubase 5 is a big improvement over 4. There is so much more features and capabilities in Cubase compared to Reaper. I understand your frustration, but I found Cubase 5 to be rock solid. Reaper is still a good program, but if I was going to switch from Cubase, I would go to Samplitude if your running a PC and Logic if going to a Mac.
I disagree... I went from many years on Pro Tools TDM Mix plus system
Then Cubase SX3 to 5.. Liked it.. Had some trouble here and there like any DAW it's not awful at all.. Did some nice tracking/mixing with it..

But Reaper has a ton more features.. Reaper has not slowed me down. Cubase has.
out of the 3 and for different reason.. I liked Reaper and pro Tools best.
Can't hurt to try Reaper and go on the forum and read about it.
No reason to stop using Cubase... Just try other things you decide.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

Question about REAPER. Does it have a bounce track feature like Nuendo (and I suspect Cubase) whereby one can consolidate all edits from a track into a single file (without applying any plugins or eq) effortlessly and quickly? Not a real time bounce, and not a "solo the track and bounce it through the mixer" feature, I mean just selecting the segments and saying "bounce this to a single file without any processing, without going through the mixer."

EDIT: if so I might commit to learning REAPER as I am on board with their philosophy.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes.. and I'm not in front of it..out of town.
But you can right click and render the file.. You could even bypass the plugs and right click and tell it to apply F/X.. IT will do it stereo or you can tell it to make a mono output.. Say for a single drum track or bass..

You can even select to view lanes and you will then see the original track and the one you just bounced/rendered.. And while the track plays you can click the different version if you like to hear the difference in a song or whatever.

And unlike Cubase.. You don't need to set up a buss to route to then bounce through the buss..Blah blah.
Just right click.. it's there BAM! Done move on to next edit.
It's something I use with Drum a gog.. Instead of leaving that realtime.. I'll get it setup if I need to use it.. Then apply F/X. Then bypass the plug (but leave it in place in case I need a change later).. And at anytime (with lanes) I can click between the original drum track and the rendered one quickly to listen.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
I disagree... I went from many years on Pro Tools TDM Mix plus system
Then Cubase SX3 to 5.. Liked it.. Had some trouble here and there like any DAW it's not awful at all.. Did some nice tracking/mixing with it..

But Reaper has a ton more features.. Reaper has not slowed me down. Cubase has.
out of the 3 and for different reason.. I liked Reaper and pro Tools best.
Can't hurt to try Reaper and go on the forum and read about it.
No reason to stop using Cubase... Just try other things you decide.
I agree that you should try Reaper and Studio One and see if you like them.

Reaper having a ton more features...I don't know about it. I believe Cubase is a much deeper program with midi, score, and things like routing group tracks to other tracks, etc. I do agree though that the work flow may be faster than Cubase

I don't want to get into a pissing contest dfegadon which DAW is better. They all can do what we need for the most part. I like Cubase since it is a more developed program. There is also a much larger following of Nuendo/Cubase in the recording industry and I don't want to go with a program that is so new. Not to mention the fact that the likelyhood of Reaper not being around in 5-10 years is a lot higher than Cubase. Steinberg has stability, its is made by a company that has been around for a long time and now owned by Yamaha. With their backing and technology, I feel a little safer, and expect more positive things in the future. But hey many like Reaper and it could be the DAW for you. Cubase 6 is just around the corner as well, so I have a feeling work flow could be improved.
Does Reaper have all the features that Cubase 5 has here? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...es/cubase5.htm
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Who cares about the following... Remember Waco?

You should take your on advise then.. Because Reaper's routing is maybe one of the strongest things about it and usually the first thing mentioned in reviews of it.
It's routing is much better and faster then Cubase..

Now Studio One.. has faster routing then Cubase as well.. I think S1 as better built in plugs then Cubase.. But S1 couldn't do some things I wanted..and I don't like all the buss having to be stereo.. There is no option to have a buss stereo OR mono.

but I really liked S1... and I do like Cubase.. But I believe you should really look into it before you say it can't do things that are so easy for that program..Just because your comfortable with Cubase..
Old 20th December 2010
i like reaper alot after playing with it a bit.

I've always used cubase, and i like it, but version 4 is annoying. it has got to go.
I was looking at studio one awhile ago, but in order to really see what it does, i have to buy it.
i like reapers approach. i can trial the FULL software, then decide.

i also like the price point. i could pick up studio one and reaper for the price of cubase 5 (full version). I'm not making money with it so i could get away with the discounted license too!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddachile View Post
Question about REAPER. Does it have a bounce track feature like Nuendo (and I suspect Cubase) whereby one can consolidate all edits from a track into a single file (without applying any plugins or eq) effortlessly and quickly? Not a real time bounce, and not a "solo the track and bounce it through the mixer" feature, I mean just selecting the segments and saying "bounce this to a single file without any processing, without going through the mixer."

EDIT: if so I might commit to learning REAPER as I am on board with their philosophy.

Yes. Faderjockey suggested using the "render", which would bounce the track to a new wav file including all fx etc.

Another option is select all the regions of that track that you want to include, right click, and select "glue". That's it... done. This is kind of like PT's "consolidate", and creates one new object (region) in that same track, and saves a new contiguous wav file for that track to the hard drive using the suffix "...glued". Totally non-destructive to the original files.

+1 for trying REAPER. It's definitely worth trying, and once you learn it I'd bet you'd switch. Unless you do tons of midi editing, in which case you might not love it quite so much, even though it will handle it... just differently than others.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Go with Reaper and don't look back! And v4? yay!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes.. and I'm not in front of it..out of town.
But you can right click and render the file.. You could even bypass the plugs and right click and tell it to apply F/X.. IT will do it stereo or you can tell it to make a mono output.. Say for a single drum track or bass..

You can even select to view lanes and you will then see the original track and the one you just bounced/rendered.. And while the track plays you can click the different version if you like to hear the difference in a song or whatever.

And unlike Cubase.. You don't need to set up a buss to route to then bounce through the buss..Blah blah.
Just right click.. it's there BAM! Done move on to next edit.
It's something I use with Drum a gog.. Instead of leaving that realtime.. I'll get it setup if I need to use it.. Then apply F/X. Then bypass the plug (but leave it in place in case I need a change later).. And at anytime (with lanes) I can click between the original drum track and the rendered one quickly to listen.
I don't think you know how to really use Cubase, cubase and Nuendo have the same function "Bounce" audio, midi whatever, with or without plugins, in place and in a snap.
takes two seconds to consolidate a track. your bussing scheme is a little too convoluted.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

No ****! Who said or where did I say it didn't... Re read what I wrote.
Some one ask how to do it in Reaper and I was trying to recall from my head.. it's still a little new to me..

I never said you couldn't do a bounce in Cubase... I said Reaper to do more things...
so you took it all wrong...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Also... Really nothing is for everyone.
Me saying Reaper has more options is true on my end. I use Cubase and Reaper then same..and I find Reaper does more.. Feels like a Photoshop program to the point were I know I'm not using all it can do,.

But there is areas in Cubase that I don't use like some.. But that's how it is.,
I'm not a midi studio.. so maybe Cubase is stronger there... I'm sure it is from what I have read.

But I record bands/songwriters so I use Cubase/Reaper as a recording medium and a mixing platform. Only midi ever done on my sessions is maybe a VST synth/keys once in a while and lot of times it's Wurli and I use a real one..

So midi may suck in Reaper... I do not know.
But the features I use for tracking live instruments and mixing.. I (in my use) found more options and usefulness in Reaper.

One stupid (to some maybe) I hated... Cubase would hang for so long when closing when I had UAD plugs in a session.. Reaper opens so fast and closes so fast.
I've NEVER!!! had Reaper tell me it ca not open a session...
I've been on some pretty big mixes an Cubase would not open I had to go back to an earlier save.... but I know well enough all DAW's have their little buys.. I dealt with Pro Tool bugs for years... Reaper early on pissed me off too.. But so far 3.73 and my new PC it's running very good, That is all I care about.

I didn't uninstall Cubase I may need it again... But for now I'm working in Reaper.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I guess I assumed so when I read "And unlike Cubase.. You don't need to set up a buss to route to then bounce through the buss..Blah blah" and thought, well, it's actually pretty simple, just either highlight the track and select "bounce" which is in place or "stem" in the mixdown engine and you could render every single track of the project separate in one click.

I mean, I'm not here to tell which DAW is king, I coudlnt' care less, I was merely pointing at the fact that it's actually just as simple in Cubase and not a buss routing setup thing.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRose View Post
I guess I assumed so when I read "And unlike Cubase.. You don't need to set up a buss to route to then bounce through the buss..Blah blah" and thought, well, it's actually pretty simple, just either highlight the track and select "bounce" which is in place or "stem" in the mixdown engine and you could render every single track of the project separate in one click.

I mean, I'm not here to tell which DAW is king, I coudlnt' care less, I was merely pointing at the fact that it's actually just as simple in Cubase and not a buss routing setup thing.
Yes.. Maybe I'm typing on a laptop to fast and wasn't clear.
Agree I don't care what anyone uses.. I was trying to add my 2cents to the original OP.
On GS you can't have opinions.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Also... One stupid (to some maybe) I hated... Cubase would hang for so long when closing when I had UAD plugs in a session.. Reaper opens so fast and closes so fast.
I've NEVER!!! had Reaper tell me it ca not open a session...
I've been on some pretty big mixes an Cubase would not open I had to go back to an earlier save.... but I know well enough all DAW's have their little buys.. I dealt with Pro Tool bugs for years... Reaper early on pissed me off too.. But so far 3.73 and my new PC it's running very good, That is all I care about.

I didn't uninstall Cubase I may need it again... But for now I'm working in Reaper.
What version of Cubase do you have. I believe version 5.5 made it run faster than before
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Maybe I'll try it.. I'm doing a project in Reaper now.
I have Cubase 4 on this machine. Cubase5 on another and haven't updated it.

Also.. Since I have UAD-1's in an Expansion chassis with Cubase I have to turn off multi cpu to run smoother... Now I have a buddy using Nuendo with UAD2 Quad and he had to do the same thing...Which I believe I read he shouldn't have to with UAD2.

But in Reaper I can use both UAD-1 and multi cpu and I do not get the same trouble I get in Cubase.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe I'll try it.. I'm doing a project in Reaper now.
I have Cubase 4 on this machine. Cubase5 on another and haven't updated it.

Also.. Since I have UAD-1's in an Expansion chassis with Cubase I have to turn off multi cpu to run smoother... Now I have a buddy using Nuendo with UAD2 Quad and he had to do the same thing...Which I believe I read he shouldn't have to with UAD2.

But in Reaper I can use both UAD-1 and multi cpu and I do not get the same trouble I get in Cubase.
1. I would recommend the update. I found it to run faster.
2. It sounds like an IRQ issue with Cubase. Not sure if the updated version address that issue.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

I moved from Nuendo to Reaper a couple of years ago when I upgraded to a 64 bit system and was having problems with Nuendo. I couldn't afford the upgrade so tried out Reaper. I have never looked back and find it the best DAW for my needs.

I found it very simple to move to from Cubase/Nuendo and was pretty competent within an hour or two. Once you learn the shortcuts, editing and the like is incredibly quick and easy.

Obviously you need to work with whichever DAW works for you but because the full version of Reaper can be trialled for free then I seriously suggest you give it a go for a month and then see what you think. There are many excellent videos with useful tips and tutorials that will help you through it.

Good luck.
Old 23rd December 2010
Here for the gear

Just my 2 cents: i' a newbie on the forum and just a general theatre tecchie, meaning I have to handle lighting, sound, video, set and props, the lot ( not always all of them at the same time luckily).
My DAW used to be Bias' Deck, which was quite buggy and had already become obsolete around Mac OSX, certainly with the G5s. But I had come to like the GUI, and had gotten used to it, having worked with it for more than 10 years.
Shopping around, all the big DAW packages seemed really extraneous to me, too complicated (however big their capabilities). In consequence with too big a learning curve. And I liked none of their GUIs.
About a month ago, a friend pointed me towards REAPER. In less than an hour I was up for business with the trial, editing a rush job and discovering its functionality on the fly without as much as looking at a manual! With a tricky setup, too: an Alesis io 26 hooked up to an old Alu Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz.
Also the philosophy of the developers to offer full functionality on a trial version really did save me there.
So this is one software package I'll gladly pay for for once! And I hope it'll be around for a long time (sorry, Bias).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search