The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
thinking of dropping cubase for reaper. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th December 2010
just got reaper. I'm done with cubase.

i played with it for about an hour or two and the answer was very clear. all my settings saved, no screwing around and my vst's are compatible.
Old 29th December 2010
With Reaper V4 coming soon, things are going to be taken to a whole new level, both GUI and workflow wise.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
i like reaper alot after playing with it a bit.

I've always used cubase, and i like it, but version 4 is annoying. it has got to go.
I was looking at studio one awhile ago, but in order to really see what it does, i have to buy it.
i like reapers approach. i can trial the FULL software, then decide.

i also like the price point. i could pick up studio one and reaper for the price of cubase 5 (full version). I'm not making money with it so i could get away with the discounted license too!
I am a Cubase user, was SX3 for years, just switched to C5, great DAW. Cubase 4 does suck, there is a reason is was only out for such a short time (they changed a bunch of stuff at once, VST3, etc, and had some real issues!). Depending on when you bought 4, the upgrade to 5 at one point was free. It is $199 or less no matter what. Not full price.
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
I am a Cubase user, was SX3 for years, just switched to C5, great DAW. Cubase 4 does suck, there is a reason is was only out for such time (they changed a bunch of stuff at once, VST3, etc, and had some real issues!). Depending on when you bought 4, the upgrade to 5 at one point was free. It is $199 or less no matter what. Not full price.
i heard that 5 was better. and 4 blows. hard. it wouldn't save my interface settings ever and gradually got worse at syncing up with the interface and recording audio.

i loved cubase, but after using reaper, it looks like I'll be sticking with it. it's just so much easier for me. where you think something should be in a d.a.w. is exactly where it is in reaper. and it loaded 20 something plug in's like it was nothing, where cubase 4 would sit and think about it for awhile at start up. all of my interface and midi options where a snap to set up. (except my keyboard for some reason)

at 40$ for the license it's a deal and a half.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Can someone tell me how the MAc Version of Reaper is? If I understand correctly it's been, primarily, a windows thing.

Hoping someone with Reaper+Mac Experience can chime in here
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just think that reaper is so cheap... why not get it, even if if you're not going to use it too much, just to explore the options? The big expense of moving to reaper is not the cost of the software.. its the cost of the learning curve... so why not try it.. and see where it takes you
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
Hoping someone with Reaper+Mac Experience can chime in here
I use it on Snow Leopard. I've compared running it on SL and Win7 via Boot Camp, and the only difference is that on Win7 it uses a little less cpu and the editing time-selection graphic is drawn a little faster than on OSX.

It's fully stable and works just as well as the Windows builds, and is functionally the same (apart from a couple of old old 3rd-party extension features that only exist for Windows - they are not important and have been replaced - the new SWS build is all you need).

The small performance increase on Win7 isn't enough to make me want to Boot Camp, as I'm too familiar with the Mac OS and am quite slow in Windows.

Demo it and you'll know how well it works for you...making my anecdotal musings moot
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

I own both Cubase 5.5 and Reaper and think they are both great DAW's.

I have been using Cubase for years so I'm finding Reaper a little intuitive. Having said that, the only features that I would REALLY miss from Cubase 5 are Variaudio and the right click tool box for chopping up and editing tracks.
If equivalent features were to be implemented into Reaper then I would seriously be considering changing over!!

After using both of these DAW's Reaper is really an exceptional bargain and if I were starting out from scratch I would go for Reaper without hesitation!!
Old 29th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
i heard that 5 was better. and 4 blows. hard. it wouldn't save my interface settings ever and gradually got worse at syncing up with the interface and recording audio.
For the record Cubase 4 SUCKED!!!! I was left at a crossroads and decided to wait until C5 was good. I havent had an issue with C 5.5.2 here.

That said, I got Reaper in the meantime so I have two solid DAWS now,

Will I upgrade to C6?? Well see. I will get Reaper 4 for sure though

If your interface settings were not saving you should delete the pres file for that and r-boot and Cubase will re-build them. Sounds like you have something corrupted there.
Old 29th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsearles View Post
I just think that reaper is so cheap... why not get it, even if if you're not going to use it too much, just to explore the options? The big expense of moving to reaper is not the cost of the software.. its the cost of the learning curve... so why not try it.. and see where it takes you

there was no learning curve!

(except rewire still playing around with that)
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Well......maybe no learning curve as such.....but there sure can be a lot of time spent customising the bloody thing once you realise that you can adapt it to your own workflow......
Old 7th January 2011
oh yeah. it's official. loving reaper.

for it's few things i didn't like too much, I'll deal and learn to live without it. my only real complaint is there is no pencil from what i can gather and splitting tracks isn't as easy. there needs to be a tool bar with the typical pencil, razor that type stuff.

maybe that's just the reason talking through me.
Old 7th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
splitting tracks isn't as easy. there needs to be a tool bar with the typical pencil, razor that type stuff.

S = split at cursor
Shift + S = split range
Ctrl + A = Select all tracks

That what your talking about?
Old 7th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
S = split at cursor
Shift + S = split range
Ctrl + A = Select all tracks

That what your talking about?
yeah i got all that, but it would be easier for me if i could just razor it instead of putting the cursor there, then splitting. like i said, small potatoes.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

I brought a Reaper license yesterday.

I've been toying with it for a while and started new projects in Reaper and I gotta say, it's very slick.

If I open a ReWire project in Nuendo I have to then search for the Reason file then open that; Reaper opens the associated Reason file automatically! It's routing is brilliant and it just works. While using it it seems that nothing will phase it, push it and it says 'ok'.

I'll continue to use Nuendo for a few things but i'll be using Reaper a lot more.

Can't wait for Reaper 4!
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah i got all that, but it would be easier for me if i could just razor it instead of putting the cursor there, then splitting. like i said, small potatoes.

I have adapted to it and is second nature now, but I do wish Reaper used the scissor tool type setup similar to Cubase
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioWonderland View Post
I have adapted to it and is second nature now, but I do wish Reaper used the scissor tool type setup similar to Cubase
Yes +1
Old 8th January 2011
supposedly you can create a scissor and pencil icon, but i don't know if you can create the action it produces. i haven't figured that out yet.

but just toying around reaper is highly customizable.
Old 8th January 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
I got ya, makes sense

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search