The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hybrid Integration Question 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Hybrid Integration Question

Hi guys,
I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate my outboard gear. I have attached an image of my rack..all 500 series..Electrodyne 501s, Electrodyne 511s, BAC 500s, Little Labs VOG...I rarely record audio in. I produce hip hop and electronic music and for the most part mix as I go along. I have tried running each of my tracks out thru the mic pre/eq/comp and record back in..but that is quite time consuming and there are the obvious recall issues. I would love some suggestions on how you guys might use this gear in a way I could patch it/forget it fashion and be able to get the sonics of the gear into my tracks.

Thanks guys,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Hybrid Integration Question-photo.jpg  
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrene77 View Post
Hi guys,
I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate my outboard gear. I have attached an image of my rack..all 500 series..Electrodyne 501s, Electrodyne 511s, BAC 500s, Little Labs VOG...I rarely record audio in. I produce hip hop and electronic music and for the most part mix as I go along. I have tried running each of my tracks out thru the mic pre/eq/comp and record back in..but that is quite time consuming and there are the obvious recall issues. I would love some suggestions on how you guys might use this gear in a way I could patch it/forget it fashion and be able to get the sonics of the gear into my tracks.

Thanks guys,

Dave
What DAW are you using? Can you do Hardware Inserts in your software like in PTHD, which is what I use? Also, if you are going to be using hardware during the mix phase then recall issues are just part of the game. Personally, I take up close pictures of all my hardware for every mix. That works well, but with some gear a millimeter difference is audible, so you just have to use your ears and accept it. - paul
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmachine View Post
What DAW are you using? Can you do Hardware Inserts in your software like in PTHD, which is what I use? Also, if you are going to be using hardware during the mix phase then recall issues are just part of the game. Personally, I take up close pictures of all my hardware for every mix. That works well, but with some gear a millimeter difference is audible, so you just have to use your ears and accept it. - paul

Hi Paul,
I use Logic which has the I/O for doing hardware inserts. Thanks for the reply.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Paul,
I use Logic which has the I/O for doing hardware inserts. Thanks for the reply.
Ok, looks like you've got 2 options then. Either tie them up as hardware inserts or print all the tracks you want with the hardware on them. I'd probably use the hardware on the money tracks and print the results, then move the hardware over to the 2 bus. That sounds like it'd be quite a colorful 2 bus chain to experiment with, and you may love it. - paul
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ok, looks like you've got 2 options then. Either tie them up as hardware inserts or print all the tracks you want with the hardware on them. I'd probably use the hardware on the money tracks and print the results, then move the hardware over to the 2 bus. That sounds like it'd be quite a colorful 2 bus chain to experiment with, and you may love it. - paul

Thank Paul...while I have you...there is no harm in putting the mic pre's on the 2buss correct?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

definitely hardware inserts...then you can put them anywhere in your session without repatching a thing...remember to ping! when you engage the i/o plug
Old 20th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
definitely hardware inserts...then you can put them anywhere in your session without repatching a thing...remember to ping! when you engage the i/o plug

What traks would you put them on...the money tracks..kik and bass? kik and snare etc?
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally, I take up close pictures of all my hardware for every mix.
Brilliant! I wonder why I never thought of that. I mean, it's so intuitively obvious... anyway, thanks for the great idea. Gotta love gearslutz.com!
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
What traks would you put them on...the money tracks..kik and bass? kik and snare etc?
Well with them being inserts, you can try them everywhere...I like to keep it simple and use things in pairs on busses...pairs of eq's/comps on drum busses and vocal busses as that's where a lot of work is to be had...but I do lke to have a nice dedicated piece of hardware for the bass track as that tends to sit better with a piece of hardware inserted...try try try...spen a half hour experimenting with a different track...that is good use of time...have fun...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank Paul...while I have you...there is no harm in putting the mic pre's on the 2buss correct?
If it sounds good it is good. Make sure to try with and without and A/B it. I know that some people do that to use the makeup gain or for taking advantage of the preamps transformer sound. Try it and see if you dig how it affects the sound. - paul
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
Brilliant! I wonder why I never thought of that. I mean, it's so intuitively obvious... anyway, thanks for the great idea. Gotta love gearslutz.com!
Cool Doug, glad to help. It's not perfect but it's really helpful for recall. I take pictures of all my gear after a mix is finalized and file the mpegs away in a folder in the project. That way it's all organized by song. My only advice is to make sure you pay attention to the angle you are shooting from, because with some knobs your picture can misrepresent the true setting. Some gear like my Crane Song stuff or my Elysia Xpressor has a mark on the side of the knob, and it makes is really great for taking accurate pictures. You can shoot the side of the knob right where is lines up in between the marks. Otherwise, I have to make sure every shot is straight on at the knob without any angles, or it can skew the reading. - paul
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search