The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
D&R analog consoles Consoles
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Anyone knows a tech that services D&Rs??

While recapping the board I found an issue on the aux 3 and I troubleshooted to the master module, but I don't have the tools nor the knowledge to repair it.
Thx,

Sam
Old 10th January 2014
DSA-AVL Apeldoorn The Netherlands
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Thanks muziekschuur!!!
Old 10th January 2014
Hope there is someone closer to you to help you with the problem...

Wich console are we talking about? There are alot of "spare" consoles for sale out here wich could assist you with a swap or so. If it's a Cinemix or so, yes a qualified technician could help out...
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

It's a Dayner console.

I looked around on ebay.nl for some spares but I couldn't find anything. Do you know where can I keep on searching??

Maybe DSA-AVL Apeldoorn might have something...???
Old 10th January 2014
I own a Dayner too. Maintenance would be much more expensive than the console would be worth. Time to gut it and sell the parts...

What frame size are we talking here?
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I don't have many servicing options here, or not that I know of.

Last edited by Samuelito; 10th January 2014 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: too early
Old 10th January 2014
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I have 59 frames Dayner.

12 split modules and 34 inline.

I got it really cheap, but I believe is not factory set and someone has made up the console from spares as I have some a, c & d modules
Old 10th January 2014
You could get it any way you want.
It was the Midas Verona of it's day. They were all over Europe.
It wasn't a Amek Recall but it was (and is) a nice little mixer.

If you decide to open it, each channel strip is connected to the next by a band with connectors. Much in the same way a IDE disk is connected to the motherboard. Once you have all channels taken out of the frame you will find it is a long band with all connectors for each channel. Be carefull with that strip. It is probably older than 20 years and could be failing if stressed.

You could buy another and simply test modules together untill you have a working mixer. The failing modules could be sent off for repairs. One thing you can do yourself. Is simply resolder parts so no cracks are there. And connections are once again flawless...
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I've just bought it for a bit less than 300 Euros and I'm recapping the hole board.
I would love that avalon, but it's not the time for me and the dayner is really sweet sounding. I'm recapping almost entirely with Elna Similic II and I must say I'm really happy with the results.

I would love some fader and mute automation, but I think I'll have to wait on that.

Good link I found though...

Good news for owners of consoles with C-Mix automation.
Old 10th January 2014
If you would have two 24 track analog recorders you would have 24 tracks connected direct out and 16 direct out and 8 connected to the busses. Then you would connect those buss tracks to the split tracks together with the efx returns. Because that way you could allways bounce to another set of 8 buss (after patching).

So the setup of your current mixer does make sense..
Old 10th January 2014
Nope.... That automation would require a console with automation, motorfaders and midi allready present... Wich isn't on the Dayner. But nothing a Mackie controll can't fix tho...
Old 10th January 2014
Did you allready find out you can move the 8 busses all over the board?
Old 10th January 2014
For 500 euro you would have another Dayner and have a pile of spare parts and maybe a smaller frame so you can start with something less gigantic.... I do not know if you have the space for a beast like that.... But a 59 channel frame is gigantic...
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes it does make sense and it fits my setup. I was thinking of using the split modules for parallel compression in mixdown.

What I found that I thought was handy, is that when you push the "from sub" button your signal is send right or left depending on the module you are on cause each modules feeds from subs depending its position.

1, 3, 5, 7 or 2, 4, 6, 8

odd goes left and even goes right, but you can set them by solder the outputs of the module so it becomes mono or even if you want to feed it with both sources.

Really flexible!!!
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

I have just the space for it. It leaves me with 80cm to the walls from each side.

Here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
D&R analog consoles-img_1434.jpg   D&R analog consoles-img_1435.jpg   D&R analog consoles-img_1436.jpg   D&R analog consoles-img_1432.jpg  
Old 10th January 2014
You can make any channelstrip a bus. And any channelstrip a channel.

At http://wwwd-r.nl you can download the manual wich will explain how to. I never moved mine. But it can be done. Allso the regular channels can feed from the return signal. So in a sense all channel strips are usable for recording (mic input) and mixing (line input).
Old 10th January 2014
Please..... please stack those channelstrips alittle better.... Someone took really good care of them during paint. It's too easy to chip the paint and when reassembling the mixer will look tatty.... And put all the electronic work to shame....
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Yes, I'm aware of that. The magnificent idea of floating groups!!!

Don't worry, I've put them there yesterday for testing. There is some plastic cover to protect the electronics and pcb traces and I really took care when putting them there.
It's not that I just threw them there.
Old 10th January 2014
Once you get the hang of a channelstrip it's a repeated process and within days your console is back in working order.... Getting the right parts is key tho...
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Thank god they have open potentiometers!!! They're really easy to clean!!
Old 10th January 2014
How do you do that?
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

Do you mean the floating groups thing??
Old 10th January 2014
No. the cleaning of a potentiometer.... (I don't think you mean the sliders. You do mean the knobs... right?)

I assume you have allready checked the powersupply? (I assume you have 4? (Two for each frame half and two backups?).
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

You have to take out the module. And at least in my board all the pots are radiohm ones and they have an open body.
Just use some Deoxit or something similar.

I only have one PSU. I know normally I should have two, but this board came with only one.
That's when I suspected this one was build from spares in a 59 frame chasis.
It was working so I didn't care much.
Anyway, I have another PSU running +/- 18v & 48v throwing 15A so I probably be using that one in the end and keeping the original as a spare.
Old 10th January 2014
If I'm not mistaken the console should have two. But if it was purchased by the Original owner with 28 channels or so (this is the maximum for one powersupply) and he would have bought it for studio use, one powersupply would be logical. It's upwards 32 channels the second powersupply is needed (as far as I am informed.). But maybe he did beef up that one powersupply. Wich would, being in Switserland, be as expensive, or cheaper then getting a second one from Holland.

If you are good in modifying you could install a switch to power up or down half the console. Because a simple band tracking & computer setup would not exceed 24 tracks... So keeping half powered down would seem like a nice way to avoid half running costs (Like 300 euro in current a year)
Old 10th January 2014
Gear Maniac

39 modules + the master module seems to be the limit for one PSU in the Dayner's manual.

I have 46 modules + the master module that has only one 5 pins XLR input.
The PSU might be beefed up and I don't think the guy I bought it from was the first owner.

I'm not concerned about the running costs. I have been using the other PSU for almost 2 years now and didn't have to pay more than expected, yet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search