The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simple Minds Graffitti Soul wow!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Simple Minds Graffitti Soul wow!

Just got this on vinyl and was floored how great it sounds. The songwriting is fantastic as well. Anyone know what was used on this project in the studio?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, yess Simple Minds... They've become so uncool with the hipsters and critics.

I remember reading a guitar centric interview with Charlie Burchill about Graffiti Soul, and you may have luck finding it either on the web, possibly on fan-sites too, or if I can find it I'll put up a link here.

I remember a very elaborate, experimentally used guitar set up, with lots of pedals and instruments.

For anyone not already familiar, I suggest checking out the Minds' early (pre Don't You Forget) output, especially New Gold Dream, Sons and Fascination, Real to Real Cacophony and Empires and Dance. This was their best era musically, and they had the best bass player ever, Derek Forbes!

Sparkle in the Rain was the last of theirs that I still appreciate without feeling guilty.

From the later, post stadium era albums, check out Good News (very strong material, sounds great) Néapolis (I loved that album, an interesting take on late '90s electronic sounds), Our Secrets are the Same (some great songs) and Cry (an out and out pop album with interesting layered rhythms and lush poppy synths).

I haven't heard the whole of Black & White from 2005, but some heralded it as a return to form (whatever that should mean).

SD
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

thanks SD, if you haven't checked out the new one do so you will love it. I agree with you on Good News fantastic record and the bass playing incredible I think its all done by Marcus Miller what a monster player.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alright, I was wrong, it was not an exclusively guitar based interview:
I found it, and it's a bit better :-)

Simple Minds: Recording Graffiti Soul

As for bass players, Good News has four bassists credited as it turns out, and yeah Mr. Miller is one of them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search