The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guitar pickups - good sustain without any wax potting
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Guitar pickups - good sustain without any wax potting

I have a les paul:

So i'm looking for a humbucker that has great sustain but is not wax potted, because i like the feedback!

Thanks
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Sustain is more to do with the guitar's construction, bridge mounting and strings than pickups. Pickups are more of a gain structure thing.

They say Les Pauls have great sustain for a reason.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Are you sure you're going for the right kind of feedback?
There's the ugly squeal that comes from loose PU windings.
And then there's the kind that happens when the sound from the amp makes the STRINGS vibrate in sympathy. You can also control the latter's pitch/overtones by varying the guitar's distance & angle to the amp.
The latter is actually easier to achieve with potted PUs, since you can get more volume out of the amp before the squealing starts, thus making it easier to have the strings resonate.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychamp View Post
Are you sure you're going for the right kind of feedback?
There's the ugly squeal that comes from loose PU windings.
And then there's the kind that happens when the sound from the amp makes the STRINGS vibrate in sympathy. You can also control the latter's pitch/overtones by varying the guitar's distance & angle to the amp.
The latter is actually easier to achieve with potted PUs, since you can get more volume out of the amp before the squealing starts, thus making it easier to have the strings resonate.
I don't think a non-potted pickup is the answer for you. I agree with the above poster, i'm pretty sure potting only reduces unwanted squealing, not harmonic feedback. I love feedback too, its a great sound used properly, but controlling it is an art, and it needs to be learned with practice and time. Get close to that amp and start moving around, just like he said. Oh, and maybe wear hearing protection too...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search