The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is there such a thing? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

is there such a thing?

Is there such a thing as a omni condensor mic that does not require phantom power or an internal battery? Im still trying to figure out these AKG C98's.

Thanks
Old 19th December 2010
For the record I'm not following you heh

A condenser microphone requires some sort of power, that's just the nature of the design.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

LOL. Thanks for the reply Adlen. I cant figure out how I'm able to record into my Yamaha CX with these mics. There is no phantom power in the Yamaha. Thats why Im hesitant to modify the cable.

Thanks again
Old 19th December 2010
Hmm.. I could be wrong but I don't think I am

Could there be a small watch battery inside the metal casing? Have you taken it apart to check?

I've looked into these mics as much as the internet allows me to and it looks like they're designed for room analysis. Every piece of literature says "omnidirectional microphones" rather than "omnidirectional condenser microphones", usually for things like that the company selling the room analysis kit will show off about the mics being condensers since "condensers are better than dynamics" (seems that way to the average user).

Not sure how the Pocketrack is wired. It might be a bit weird but still right for the AKGs whereas your mixer/interface is wired as it should be. Do Yamaha state that you can use any 1/8" mic with the PT or do they sell a specific external microphone for it?
Old 19th December 2010
The Yamaha obviously provides the phantom power that you need. Your basic problem is simply with the chosen CONNECTOR. Maybe build a cable that connects your mini TRS to an XLR, and it should then work like any other balanced condensor mic that requires phantom power.
Old 19th December 2010
Although the CX does not appear to mention phantom power in it's specs, it's basically a consumer device. A lot of cheap consumer devices use those cheap consumer electret microphones with mini stereo plugs - and by design the need phantom power to work. It's very probably a low voltage phantom power - almost certainly not 48V, and it wouldn't be marketed for serious use with pro condensor mics.

The built in electret mics would need power - so i'm guessing when you connect a consumer mic to the jack, it probably simply disconnects the internal mics and connects to the external mic. Which means that the same power that powers the internal mic would then be available to the external mic.

My best guess.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Hmm.. I could be wrong but I don't think I am

Could there be a small watch battery inside the metal casing? Have you taken it apart to check?

I've looked into these mics as much as the internet allows me to and it looks like they're designed for room analysis. Every piece of literature says "omnidirectional microphones" rather than "omnidirectional condenser microphones", usually for things like that the company selling the room analysis kit will show off about the mics being condensers since "condensers are better than dynamics" (seems that way to the average user).

Not sure how the Pocketrack is wired. It might be a bit weird but still right for the AKGs whereas your mixer/interface is wired as it should be. Do Yamaha state that you can use any 1/8" mic with the PT or do they sell a specific external microphone for it?
These things dont come apart. I dont think they are dynamics due to their sensitivity. Yamaha doesnt say much about the use of external mics. Im really perplexed.

Thanks for the continued help.
Old 20th December 2010
What Kiwi said makes a lot of sense. Does the Yamaha have a direct out you could plug into your mixer? Not ideal but if it works...
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Just another note. I plugged the 1/8" end into my laptop to test, and I got no sound at all. The Yamaha must be giving it some power.
Old 20th December 2010
BAM. Just incase you missed my last reply because we posted at the same time heh
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Although the CX does not appear to mention phantom power in it's specs, it's basically a consumer device. A lot of cheap consumer devices use those cheap consumer electret microphones with mini stereo plugs - and by design the need phantom power to work. It's very probably a low voltage phantom power - almost certainly not 48V, and it wouldn't be marketed for serious use with pro condensor mics.

The built in electret mics would need power - so i'm guessing when you connect a consumer mic to the jack, it probably simply disconnects the internal mics and connects to the external mic. Which means that the same power that powers the internal mic would then be available to the external mic.

My best guess.
Electret mics don't need phantom power. The charge is already permanent on the microphone itself. Some are designed differently, but they really only have pre-amps inside them. They take up no more power than a dynamic would.

Stereo electret boom mics are widely used in low budget documentary film and local television and those are many times connected directly on the camera.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by systematika View Post
Electret mics don't need phantom power. The charge is already permanent on the microphone itself. Some are designed differently, but they really only have pre-amps inside them. They take up no more power than a dynamic would.

Stereo electret boom mics are widely used in low budget documentary film and local television and those are many times connected directly on the camera.

Every electret I have used required at least a battery. This is interesting to hear.
Old 20th December 2010
OK - I stand corrected, because the Wikipedia definition of an electret mic indicates it has a fixed charge and doesn't need batteries. So the small mics that I have in mind are technically small condenser mics. My bad.

I'm guessing that the Yamaha internal mics are actually small condensers that require power - probably selected for a lower noise floor than typical electrets. I still believe that there IS phantom power of some sort - maybe only a few volts - which is why these mics work with the Yamaha and not with others.

The solution is to convert the connector to a standard XLR and power it with normal phantom power.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Try finding a battery powered omni condenser mic.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I have one. It's a realistic. Never used it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search