The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
University to be a producer Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

i would say one of two career paths here:

some sort of music degree- performance or composition

or an electrical engineering degree

i would not discount the value of being at a music conservatory and getting to network with hundreds of other musicians- attach yourself to the good ones, and some of them will grow careers.

i was given the opportunity to engineer sessions for several very established musicians, entirely because of the contacts i made while at school.

and then my indie client list started to grow once one of my fellow students was on the front page of myspace, featuring a song i recorded + produced for her. for me, at the time, it was just 2 students trying to get better at their respective crafts, but then it randomly went and garnered almost 3 million listens.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict
Haha, I will not tolerate cyber bullying! But I was out of character when I typed that, though I was also curious about what responses I would get. So obviously I was BS'ing and quoting words from Rico Love.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Ok, I chose 3 electrionics engineering courses, 2 more music related ones as backup
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

For the highest education I would suggest spending approximately 10,000 hours listening to the following:

A Love Supreme, Mile Davis, Debussy, Stevie Wonder, the three kings, Beatles, Stax/Volt, Motown, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Herbie Handcock, Exile on Main Street, Marquee Moon, Lift Every Voice and Sing, Daydream Nation, Junior Walker, Nevermind, Thriller, You Forgot It In People, OK Computer, The Chronic, SF Sorrow and a million others.

You get the gist.....

Don't go into debt slavery in regards to the music industry.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search