The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How does my mic sound? Reverb & Delay Plugins
Old 19th December 2010
How does my mic sound?

bellsmp3.mp3

Just starting using a mojave ma200, with a daking mic pre one, into an apogee duet.

This is a quick thing I slapped together just to test the mic out.
Anyone have any thoughts? Anything I could do to improve the use of it?
Old 19th December 2010
I should be more specific... This is two tracks. Guild d40 acoustic guitar on one track, vocals on the other.

Both track with the ma200, daking, and duet, into PT9. raw recordings with slight dverb on vocals. No EQ, etc.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

...sounds o.k. - the signals have enough substance to "survive" any further processing.
For the vocal sound, i would experiment a little bit with the distance and position (e.g. a little bit off axis) to your mojave-mic, in order to get more Air into the pure voc-signal.

rgds
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B View Post
...sounds o.k. - the signals have enough substance to "survive" any further processing.
For the vocal sound, i would experiment a little bit with the distance and position (e.g. a little bit off axis) to your mojave-mic, in order to get more Air into the pure voc-signal.

rgds
When you say, survive any further processing, what do you mean?

I posted this file because I was hearing sort of what you may be hearing... it sounds a bit boxy. I just recorded the vocals again, but the capsule was pointed more toward my chin. Mouth at the base of the grill8 inches away. I think it sounds a bit more open, yet still lacking.

birds.mp3
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

...yeah, good - it´s sounds more "pleasant/relaxed", that´s fine - the rest (reverb/panorama, saturation, etc....) could be done in the mix (if wanted).

Why i said "survive any further processing" (it´s a little bit ironical of me) is that my philosphy is: "to fix it pre the mix" - means make the best possible records as you can and your equipment will work out, so that the need of correction-processing by Com/Eq etc..... will be a minimum - as related to your first record, it could be mixed in a good result anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search