The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony+Ensemble W./Logic Pro Breathing Down Pro Tools|HD's Back?
Old 21st January 2006
Lives for gear

Apogee Symphony+Ensemble W./Logic Pro Breathing Down Pro Tools|HD's Back?

Apogee Symphony+Ensemble W./Logic Pro Breathing Down Pro Tools|HD's Back? Yes, or no?

Rob G..
Old 21st January 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G
Apogee Symphony+Ensemble W./Logic Pro Breathing Down Pro Tools|HD's Back? Yes, or no?

Rob G..
Dunno - no one I know has used it yet.

There was some talk ages ago about the Logic/Apple tie up producing some kind of Pro Tools killer - it was bollocks then and I suspect it would be bollocks now. Interestingly, a lot of the changes introduced in Logic 7.2 are addressing Pro Tools compatibility issues as well as the new ensemble integration.
Old 21st January 2006
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G

Rob G..
I still think Logic is more suited for writer's and producers and Pro Tools is better suited for engineers. Apple and Apogee is just now giving Logic users a better integrated software and hardware solution when digi has had one all along. I think Apple should concentrate on knocking off the other DAW's that appeal to writer/producers and try to make it easier to move Logic audio files to Pro Tools because there are more better mix engineers working Pro Tools than Logic imo.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

This could give Logic Pro the 'definitive' edge over Digital Performer. It's a long ways to the top to topple Pro Tools. But, I won't say it can't happen.

Rob G..
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

I think a lot of these thngs boil down to price/quality issues.

If the converters in the new Ensemble are very good and the issues regarding a transition to intel macs are seamless (as they should be if Apogee have a cosy tie in) then I am going to seriously consider that option.

Just as Waves were once the 'bespoke' plugin company and now others have caught up and exceeded the Waves badge of quality, I think that a Pro Tools rig will be looking like a rather expensive option if it is not much better or any better or maybe worse than emerging competition.

Digidesign should, as any sensible competitive company should react - by reducing prices, they may have to in the long run because things ARE going to change markets ebb and flow, and new quality products emerge. Computing power is on the increase and savvy engineers producers and musicians are not stupid.

Personaly I do not think it would be wise for me to go the Digidesign route right now because what was once seen as 'exclusive and 'top notch' is now not looking that way and if it is demonstrably more expensive but no better than new options then I will not be persuaded by tradition or audio fashion - I will take another route and spend the cash saved from 'not purchasing a pro tools rig on a nice Pre.
Old 1st February 2006
Gear Head

if apple could intergrate the editing features from soundtrack pro into logic while keeping its "Composer friendly" pedigree i think it would be one hell of a product. As it stands its a great product but its far behind most daws when it comes to editing audio.
Old 1st February 2006
Lives for gear

Logic's audio editing is still a mess, not to mention the arrange window still not being sample accurate.
Let's add in the gafarkted delay compensation scheme.

The apogee announcment amounts to almost zilch. they are just selling a native interface via PCI card.
It's great to have a higher end solution but guys have been using apogees for native daws for a long time via lightpipe.

Logic has a way to go and nothing about the announced upgrade addresses any of these (and a few other) crucial shortcomings.

Waiting for Logic 8.

I'd would love to dump TDM for a native rig. I would save on vasaline for my bi annual digi reaming.
But it looks like apples move to intel may have delayed the revolution for at least a year while most daws and plugs make the universal binary jump.

So to add to the discussion -
Who made the move to dump PT for a native daw and is happier for it ????
What do you miss?
Any big drawbacks?
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

hey i've got lp8 and apogee's ensemble and a **** load of top notch audio units plugins ,like waves ssl bundle the api bundle all the urs plugins chandler comp soundtoys and loads more and i've gotta say since i've got my ensemble my mixes have improved vastly !!!! reckon audio units is catching up with the pt boys mac -lp8-apogee is an amazing platform to work on IMO
can't recommend enough
Old 15th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbeatz View Post
I still think Logic is more suited for writer's and producers and Pro Tools is better suited for engineers. Apple and Apogee is just now giving Logic users a better integrated software and hardware solution when digi has had one all along. I think Apple should concentrate on knocking off the other DAW's that appeal to writer/producers and try to make it easier to move Logic audio files to Pro Tools because there are more better mix engineers working Pro Tools than Logic imo.
I think Apple nipping at the heels of Digi can only be good for Digi loyalists, at least in the medium run. Any competition that fosters improving products and expanding feature sets seems, to me, to be good competition.

Sure, Apple is sitting pretty in terms of profit and equity value, particularly with regard to the deteriorating equity stock market position of Digi parent co, AVID, but I think they're a very long way from putting Pro Tools out of business. (A more likely scenario might see Avid forced to sell off Digi in order to concentrate on their core video tool business.)

Pro Tools is an 800 pound gorilla.

They don't just disappear overnight.*

*Well, except for 80's software shooting star, Ashton-Tate, the dBase people. But they really worked hard to destroy themselves -- and did an extraordinary job of it.
Old 16th September 2007
Here for the gear

I'm just getting back up after selling the Accel HD3 + 192 system before the holidays.

I replaced it with an 8-core MacPro, Apogee Symphony (AD16X+DA16X) and a Fireface 800 hanging on the Apogee's. And a line-mixer + MixDream summing the 24 channels.

Having just installed Logic Studio (8) I have not had the time to miss anything yet. The sound is really excellent - the apogees betters the digi192. I am still using the same Sony Oxford and SoundToys plugs.

The new Logic Studio is a very complete package and at the the price it is a bargain. I also have the new Final Cut Studio which also is complete at an extremely nice price.
Old 18th September 2007
Here for the gear

Would love some informations

Quote:
Originally Posted by moskvitch View Post
I'm just getting back up after selling the Accel HD3 + 192 system before the holidays.

I replaced it with an 8-core MacPro, Apogee Symphony (AD16X+DA16X) and a Fireface 800 hanging on the Apogee's. And a line-mixer + MixDream summing the 24 channels.

Having just installed Logic Studio (8) I have not had the time to miss anything yet. The sound is really excellent - the apogees betters the digi192. I am still using the same Sony Oxford and SoundToys plugs.

The new Logic Studio is a very complete package and at the the price it is a bargain. I also have the new Final Cut Studio which also is complete at an extremely nice price.
Hi moskvitch

I'm really tempted to go the Symphony way, but I would need a few questions answered first.

- How does the latency feels when recording a guitar thru Logic's guitar amp ?
I know that maestro can provide near 0 latency but then you can't record with guitar amp, can you?

- I would really like to work in 192k, do you have any experience at this sample rate?

Thanks

emmanuel
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post

Rob G..
I thought Ensemble was only firewire and didn't work with their symphony system.

Has this changed?

If it hasn't, it should. Symphony+Ensemble+Logic would be killer!
Old 30th December 2008
Gear Head

Hey I am thinking about getting the Symphony with Rosetta combo.

If I am using Maesto's low latency with the symphony, can I monitor through plugins like the post above me asks about guitar amp pro?
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear
Logic plus Apogee is the Pro Tools killa in my book.
Old 30th December 2008
Lives for gear

I hate logic right now.. just right now, cuz it's buggy when I mix.

other times I like it.

but mostly pro tools is cool.

very cool.

otz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search