The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seal 6: Commitment Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
I did notice a review somewhere mention his voice sounds more grainy than ever. So I wonder if he ever quit smoking cigarettes as I think he did before, those can put a strain on vocals.
I`m not sure which song it is because I`m not in the studio right now but there is one song where he doubles his vocals several times and the graininess just sounds terrible. I love Seal but he really needs to get off the cigarettes, it will eventually destroy his voice or worse.

I`m not going to get into mastering... but I will say the only disappointment I do have with this album is that a lot of the acoustic guitar parts sound like a guitar plugged in instead of being mic`ed. I don`t understand the intent behind that.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.d.dahlgren View Post
cigarettes???!?! ffs! sinatra, mitchell, seal. three of the best pop singers and voices the world has ever been graced with. all smokers. who has the ****ing audacity to complain?

on another note, thanks for pointing me towards the 6:commitment album. awesome!

(on 'secret' (on spotify at least) there's an extremely annoying high pitched noise accompanying the cello track. other than that - humbling!)
When I get to the studio, I will tell you the song and the minute:second. You can then tell me if that sounds good to you. Seals voice by itself has a lot of "character"... raspy with lots of phlegm. However, when you record him doing the same part say 6-8 times... all the raspy-ness and phlegmy-ness are not exactly pretty.

Lets not take this one comment completely out of proportion now and revolve the entire thread around me bashing it... which has been known to have happened here on GS.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
When I get to the studio, I will tell you the song and the minute:second. You can then tell me if that sounds good to you. Seals voice by itself has a lot of "character"... raspy with lots of phlegm. However, when you record him doing the same part say 6-8 times... all the raspy-ness and phlegmy-ness are not exactly pretty.

Lets not take this one comment completely out of proportion now and revolve the entire thread around me bashing it... which has been known to have happened here on GS.
Cool thanks. So when I want a pretty Boy's Choir I will know not to call Seal. heh
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Alright, go to the 2:29 mark on "Silence". Listen to the background vocals "if you need me". Don`t smoke you young ones

As for acoustic guitars... listen to "All For Love" around the 3:17 mark... why not record a nice 12 string there instead of plugging in an acoustic? Strange.

Aside from these two moments, I really enjoy this record even with the semi "big band sound" like you hear on "If I`m Any Closer" and "Big Time".
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
cigarettes???!?! ffs! sinatra, mitchell, seal
I think this is Seal's best album of songs, but his vocals on his earlier work were smoother.
Include risk of premature death to that (though Sinatra grew old and Joni is still around, it
seems they got lucky-1/2 of smokers will die from a smoking related illness). Truth is while
Frank always sounded great, there was a loss of smoothness, range and sustain in Frank's
voice with time, beyond just age or a few drinks. Another great who smoked Sammy Davis
Jr.. Besides Frank, and Matt Monroe...he was my favorite vocalist of that musical era. But
alas, Sammy died from cancer, of the larynx. That was caused, of course, by his smoking.
Old 24th December 2010
Deleted User
Discussing his habits is pretty irrelivant, just like stated, many excellent vocalists smoked.

Add Freddie Mercury to the list.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Guru

Seal's vocal deterioration has way more to do with how he sings than anything else. Smoking makes it worse, for sure.

Even when he was much younger, on the first record, there was a hoarseness and strain in a lot of his higher notes because of all the tension; he was already pushing it in unhealthy ways.

As for the fact that the first record came out almost 20 years ago, I don't want to think about it lest I get depressed.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 25th December 2010
Gear Addict

This album is nice but production wise, I miss the magic of Trevor...
This album is overproduced for me while Trevor produces even more but it makes it sooo well. The perfection of Horn's production often creates a magic but I don't feel any magic in this last album.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks to this thread, I learned about and bought this 6th Seal album. While I have Seals other works and think of them as well done examples of pretty artistic but very slick pop, this record is very bland to me. What interest it may have offered has been Photoshopped out of these extremely safe productions. It sounds like many of you feel similarly.

John-
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
well.. we obviously listen differently. i hear an epic buildup with seal's impeccable vocal control and emotion! that's what interests me. then i hear bad production/sound degradation.
Yup, that's not his throat making those nasty sounds. There's some especially ugly distortion on #2 Weight Of My Mistakes, hard to listen to that one.

I like the album. Safe, yes. A bit glossy, yes (tho not as much as Foster's 20th century work.) Seal II is still my fave, but this is a step back in the right direction after the last few discs.

One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Seal at an outdoor shed in Nashville on his 1999 tour. Mike Landau, Tony Levin, David Sancious and Brian Blade were the band. Jaw-dropping stuff.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

I do like David Foster's production, just not on Seal and just not after Trevor Horn.... To me with Trevor he sounded like world music, now he just sounds pop to me.....I still listen to the album with bring it on almost every other month.. one of my all time favourite albums.......
I got the Covers album, I think I listened to it twice if so much....

rsp
Old 7th January 2011
I find this Seal's album boring.
And i don't think it's Foster's fault.

David Foster is one of my favourite producers along with Trevor Horn.
It's kind of funny to read that music Foster does is so overproduced.
Because if anything on earth is overproduced then it's Horn's stuff.
David Foster's productions are very basic, simple and clean, that is why they appeal to so many people.That is his main strength.
VOCAL first and then some music in the background .
Anything BUT overproduced.
You will find kick,snare,hi hat,crash,couple of toms, bass, piano,strings, pad synth, one guitar and vocals. That's it .That is David Foster.And that's where he is THE BEST.

Trevor Horn, on the other hand is hundreds of channels of everything layered to oblivion and then layered some more.
That's where Horn is THE BEST.
And even though i feel Trevor Horn is as perfect match for Seal as much as Heidi Klum is, i am afraid it would take more than Trevor's usual bag of tricks to produce something memorable like the first one they did.

I just feel that Seal's songs are not as good as they used to be.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

just so you know I have read interviews where he himself (David Foster) that is said his stuff was overproduced :-).

rsp
Old 7th January 2011
I have it and I think it's ok but nothing really grabs me, there's no killer tune
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

I like the album over all but to me its a creaper because many of the tunes are slow or have long intros before kicking. This makes it take longer for me to key into some of the sweet melodies like "If im any closer" and Secret.

In terms of production the Trevor Horn productions are more interesting and offer the world music vibe that I prefer. Over all, only a couple of songs are very good to my ears, the others just not very interesting melodies or lyrics.

I didnt know he smoked but his voice sounds weaker to me than on previous works.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have it and I think it's ok but nothing really grabs me, there's no killer tune
To me, the strength of this record is that there are no singles. Yes, there are several stronger melodies on here than others but there is a nice balance. I listen to it a lot when I`m running and I agree about songs taking a while to develop but I welcome that. Not to beat up Fosters production even more than I have but I really just enjoy Trevor Horns work with Seal better. He just adds another level or two of depth in not only sounds but moods and this subtle aggressiveness that is lacking here.

I try not to get into mastering but this record was horribly mastered. You can hear the distortion all over the place. That is the most disappointing thing.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Guru

There's little doubt that the horn/seal collaborations are miles above the foster/seal CD. I bought this one. I like it. Don't LOVE it. Sometimes it takes awhile for me to warm up to the latest seal releases due to very high expectations based on his earlier records, but I don't think I'm ever going to LOVE this record. Enjoy parts of it, yes, but I'm afraid the magic is gone. It's kind of like a zerox photocopy of a beautiful picture. Looks like it, sounds like it, but it never really gets there. Musically heartbreaking for me. I had high hopes. I still long for another horn/seal record. Maybe someday......
Old 7th January 2011
Quote:
To me, the strength of this record is that there are no singles. Yes, there are several stronger melodies on here than others but there is a nice balance. I listen to it a lot when I`m running and I agree about songs taking a while to develop but I welcome that. Not to beat up Fosters production even more than I have but I really just enjoy Trevor Horns work with Seal better. He just adds another level or two of depth in not only sounds but moods and this subtle aggressiveness that is lacking here.

I try not to get into mastering but this record was horribly mastered. You can hear the distortion all over the place. That is the most disappointing thing.
I really don't care about singles, the songs just don't get me. The production is well done, although I also prefer Trevor Horns style to Dave with Seal. I haven't listened to it in the studio but it sounds fine in my car. I totally agree with Dr Bill, although I would not call it heartbreaking.
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really don't care about singles, the songs just don't get me. The production is well done, although I also prefer Trevor Horns style to Dave with Seal. I haven't listened to it in the studio but it sounds fine in my car. I totally agree with Dr Bill, although I would not call it heartbreaking.
I`ve noticed that a lot of releases today sound good in the car. When you bring them into your monitoring spaces, nah... its very disappointing that a record with such detail is butchered in the mastering. Whatever... I got banned for bring the subject up in another thread with Mike Shipley, even though he agreed that he was frustrated over the Maroon5 mastering job on their latest...
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I I totally agree with Dr Bill, although I would not call it heartbreaking.

OK, maybe that was a little melodramatic. heh heh Those early Seal records are just some of my all time favorites. Very dissapointed would maybe have been a more accurate description I guess....
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

I can't play the Maroon 5 at all because the bass sounds so bad. Hate it.

Quote:
I`ve noticed that a lot of releases today sound good in the car. When you bring them into your monitoring spaces, nah... its very disappointing that a record with such detail is butchered in the mastering. Whatever... I got banned for bring the subject up in another thread with Mike Shipley, even though he agreed that he was frustrated over the Maroon5 mastering job on their latest...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search