The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ezra Koenig's Vocals in Vampire Weekend? DAW Software
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Ezra Koenig's Vocals in Vampire Weekend?

I am in love with the way Rostam Batmanglij mixes Ezra Koenig's Vocals in Vampire Weekend's music, especially the album Contra.

Take for example this track off of Contra, Diplomat's Son.

YouTube - vampire weekend - contra - diplomat's son

Sounds to me like the things that set the Vocals apart besides whatever Compression and EQing Rostam did was the amounts Reverb, maybe even a tad bit of Chorus on it, and it even sounds slightly Auto-Tuned at 2:30...or maybe that's just a voice crack? But due to the Chorus-y Sound of the Vocal it's not an impossibility to me.

Any ideas?

Here is also a PT Mixer View of the song "Cousins"...Color Coded from Left To Right are Drums, Bass, Guitar then Vocals.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1.../IT_May_03.jpg

gotten from THIS article...:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...es/it_0510.htm
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

Diplomat's Son is my favorite VW song, so much going on sonically and in the song-writing.

I may start a new thread if I don't get an answer here but, how the hell did they do this to the vocals? Vampire Weekend - Diane Young (Official Stream) - YouTube

It's a song from the new record "Modern Vampires of the City." It gets all pitch shifty mid-vocal lines without the pitch really changing. Kinda like different registers cross-fade or something but it's so seamless. Pretty cool effect. Should be another great album.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Don't know! haha.
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrandallRaspbery View Post
Diplomat's Son is my favorite VW song, so much going on sonically and in the song-writing.

I may start a new thread if I don't get an answer here but, how the hell did they do this to the vocals? Vampire Weekend - Diane Young (Official Stream) - YouTube

It's a song from the new record "Modern Vampires of the City." It gets all pitch shifty mid-vocal lines without the pitch really changing. Kinda like different registers cross-fade or something but it's so seamless. Pretty cool effect. Should be another great album.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. Don't know! haha.
Very cool song, one of the best this year! The vocal effect is a simple but cool effect using Melodynes formant tool. Check out the following video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kaqrlh7V-J0
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinusWendel View Post
Very cool song, one of the best this year! The vocal effect is a simple but cool effect using Melodynes formant tool. Check out the following video:

Melodyne Formant Tool - YouTube
Oh wow that was awesome! I was like what the f*%# song is this? Then he brought the formant up and I was like oh wow, Beyonce! So I'm guessing that on the VW song they were automating the the formant to get that crazy changing vocal register sound. Awesome.
Old 21st May 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks, I also was blown away by the song and the effect !
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

Rostam chimed in on here awhile back when someone asked a question about VW's production. Do a search and you can probably send him a private message letting him know about this thread.
Old 21st May 2013
Lives for gear

I saw them on SNL a couple of weeks ago and it looked like the guitar player was using a Kaoss pad or something to process the vocals in the first chorus.

Is it possible that it (diplomat's son @2:30) was simply sung that way and not an effect?

-e
Old 12th January 2014
Here for the gear

Diane Young!!!!!!

hi! Does anyone have any ideas what (is used)/how ( to achieve) vocal effects like on Diane young?

Used mixcraft, trying to learn audacity / reaper, still auditioning VSTs with cantabile performer... still MASSIVE latency issues (ASIO4ALL not working with realtek audio manager - side issue, is help available here re that?), love how full youtube is of tips and stuff, looking for references on 'vampire-weekedesque' vocal effects etc...

THANKS !
Old 12th January 2014
When you sing like that you can pretty much process the vocals however you want. His voice is so freak of nature incredible.
Old 13th January 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Trask View Post
When you sing like that you can pretty much process the vocals however you want. His voice is so freak of nature incredible.
I was actually listening to a choir of 13 year old boys sing at a prep school and every one of them sounded exactly like Ezra Koenig.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

Vampire Weekend has to be one of the top Paul Simon coverbands that actively tour at this time. But I will say that the one vocalist who is possibly better than Ezra is Kevin Griffin.
Old 13th January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Vampire Weekend has to be one of the top Paul Simon coverbands that actively tour at this time. But I will say that the one vocalist who is possibly better than Ezra is Kevin Griffin.
Second sentence even funnier and more clever than the first.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search