The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?
Old 7th January 2011

Hey Janek - glad you finally showed up...

What is your fave speaker with the Hiwatt? And in what kind of cab?
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
Many of us have our own opinions about Hiwatts cabinet but the truth is that even Pete T prefered other speaker than Fanes - he`s choosed JBL`s.Original Fanes cabinets were used in 60`s and 70`s as main live guitar amplification because they have big low end .During recording thay are mainly to bassy and to wide sounding.
Gilmour used Fane Crescendo's in his SA212 and WEM cabinet in the studio. Not saying that that's what you should do or that that's what best, but it definitely proves that having fanes in your studio rig will not prevent you from getting an absolutely sick tone!
Old 7th January 2011

This thread is killing me I plugged in the Reeves Jimmy cranked it up and had to leave town for a week long lecture... Heading back tomorrow, will report back.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Hey Janek - glad you finally showed up...

What is your fave speaker with the Hiwatt? And in what kind of cab?
2X12 OS closed back vertical cabinet (custom made) with Cele Vintage 30 for single coils , and humbuckers,
the same cabinet with 2X12 Scumbacks H75 for humbuckers (fantastic mashallesque classy woody crunch)
and my new discovery 2X12 OS open back cabinet with Fane AXA12 speaker - for every guitar
Tested with Chandler TG2 , Mytek converters , ADAm s3 monitors , SM57 , Seenheiser 609 , SE Ribbon , Fathead II with Lundal.Tested during gigs too.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I ended up passing on the Reeves Custom 100, just wasn't quite the right gain structure for my needs but a buddy of mine sent me a Reeves Custom 50 'Jimmy', the one modeled after the Hiwatt Dave Reeves modded for Page, used in Zeppelin from 69-71, now that amp is way more my trip. Drives a little more but still has the Hiwatt spank.

Here's the rig:
Marshall '71 Super Tremolo 100w (Dave Friedman Kitchen Sink mod)
Diezel VH4 100 Watt Head
Orange Rockerverb 50 Guitar Head
Reeves Super '78 (50w, Hiwatt)
Reeves Custom 'Jimmy' (50w, modded Hiwatt for Page)
Ceriatone Plexi Super Lead Plexi 100
Vox AC15 HTVH Hand Wired Head
Victoria 35210 Combo Amp (Tweed Fender Deluxe)

Great test,
The closest sound to Hiwatt a la Marshall is Reeves 78.Friedman and Reeves have the best the tightest sound.Harry Joyce is to my surprise fluffy and undefined but this was the test with this particular guitar and player.
Old 7th January 2011

AXA 12 - A very nice spkr - nice and balanced, although you do need to crank the vol a bit for best tone... and as it is ahigh sensitivity speaker it gets loud

I have a ported 1 x 12 Marshall JCM 800 cab (not the sqare 1912 - it is a bit bigger) - with an AXA12

I modified it so I could easily take the back off - so either closed or open back.

nice sound when it is open back thumbsup
Old 7th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
Great test,
The closest sound to Hiwatt a la Marshall is Reeves 78.Friedman and Reeves have the best the tightest sound.Harry Joyce is to my surprise fluffy and undefined but this was the test with this particular guitar and player.
that was my "listening experience" too, when Rich Robinson (Black Crowes) used them
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Guru

The question is, which speakers was Pete Townshend
jamming the head stock of his guitars through? heh

I've read he used Fane, JBL-D120's, EV's what ever didn't blow up.

If any of you have a 4X12 Hiwatt and a Marshall cab handy,
and especially if you also have a WEM cab, it would be
very interesting to know the comparative specs between each cabinet.

Hight Width and Depth
If you look inside,
what are the differences in the cabinet construction?

Front Loaded Back Loaded?

Sealed or ported?

Joinery? Dove Tail?

We gotsta find James a dad gum proper Hiwatt cab!

In the mean time......

When you get back to the studio, how's about trying
both your new children through a full stack :-)
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Guru

With my '65 Gemini I, the AXA12 has turned out to be a complete natural
for this amp. 30 watts pushes the AXA12 just fine.

With the Gemini bright boost enabled, the AXA12 delivers a glassy clean to breakup on the top end, not harsh, just lots of sparkle and jangle.

That's the icing on the cake.

The cake is the Fane's ability to hold the low end together, quick recovery
from percussive power chords and great mid detail.

For shred metal and lots of distortion, the Medusa C-150 might be more favorable for some.

I want a 3 pack including a Studio 12L
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I would have to bet Pete Cornish is the guy to ask over on the other side
of the pond there.

Wow what a guest he would be here at GS.
+1 on that. What a real gentleman.

And his LD-1's are quite fabulous here in my rig.
Old 22nd February 2011
Oh man, I have a lot to get done today. I shouldn't even tip my toe into the vortex of how much I love Hiwatts.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Back in the mid 80's I owned a music store in St Louis (the remains of Bob Heils "Ye Olde Music Shoppe"). During that time I had many different guitar amps. We got a lot of gear in off big tours.

I had never played Hiwatts until I owned the store (they were expensive even back then). I had several Hiwatt heads (sorry I don't know them by model number), 50, 100 and 200 watt heads, all original. Some were trade ins, some were consignments, all were tweaked in the repair shop to get them ready for sale.

Being a guitar amp tech I loved looking inside at the build quality, they were gorgeous turret board layouts with carefully placed components and beautiful wiring. I suspect one of these heads could easily last several life times with care and maintenance, they were simple and elegant.

When it came to the sound, they were not my favorite because they are very "clean" sounding. When they're set up correctly, they don't break up. I remember connecting a head to several 4x12 cabinets in our 3200 sq foot studio space and cranking the hell out of it. It was louder than God but did not break up (the speakers sounded like they were about to blast through the grille cloth tho).

With new strings on the guitar it was a glorius sparkling ringing clear tone, but alas, I like crunch and the Hiwatts were just not for me.

For comparison at the time I had an original late 60s 50-watt Marshall that was amazing when everything was wide open on it. That amp would really sing and those were the loudest 50 watts I can remember.

I'm so thankful for those days of having that big space to blast all those classic amps in.

If you want a clean tube amp tone that really sparkles then the Hiwatt could be a good choice. Be sure to play one before you buy it.

Good luck with your tone quest.
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Foldback i bet you did... Won't get foaled again... Baba O'reilly... didn't you?? heh
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Foldback i bet you did... Won't get foaled again... Baba O'reilly... didn't you?? heh
The Who "Live at Leeds" spent a lot of time in the eight-track tape player of my 1966 Volkswagon Beetle, I'm thinking 1970-72 time frame. Grand Funk Railroad was also in there a lot.

The West amps used by Grand Funk were clean sounding too, you had to have a fuzz if you wanted distortion. Funny, I never cared for the buzzy square wave distortion of solid state pedals.

Hendrix taught the world about filtering fuzz through tube amps to fatten up the sound but in 1968 an Olsen fuzzmaster through my older brothers 64 Super Reverb was NOT a good rock sound, heck it almost caused me to switch to playing trumpet (glad I didn't).

Guitar tone is a very personal thing. My comments about the Hiwatts were not to diss them, only to reflect on the timbre of the original amps which I expected to be crunchy, but they were not.

One mans pain is another mans pleasure, choice and freedom are GOOD!
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Of course, much as I love Hiwatts, Who's Next was the Gretsch into Fender combination
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Hey James. It's JJ Crews from Nashville. I was in your place not too long ago cutting gtr tracks for a young shredder dude.
Anyway, I've got a Harry Joyce serial #8 hand written with his signature and a 2-12 cab loaded with Fanes that keep me smiling on a regular basis. I'm not familiar enough with the various models to be much help, but I thought I'd chime in and say hi.
Thanks again for the great room to cut gtrs in!
JJ
Old 2nd December 2015
I've read through this thread quite a few times,.but, being prodded by a friend, I will comment.
1st of all, the fanes of the early 80s and later are very "fane" sounding,..but nothing like the original ones in the early 70s/late 60s. I have only ONE hiwatt cabinet that old,.. and it out...celestions a vox celestion with no problem whatsoever. If you put it next to a late 60s 4x12 with vox celestions...you will hear what I mean...especially on playback. I bought this cabinet about 30 or more years ago...and even back then it was VERY HARD to find an old hiwatt cabinet with the cool fanes in it. (But, one thing is for sure,..the ones in the 80s were the loudest and cleanest). The 80s had fanes and celestions (take your pick) and neither one was anything to brag about (but nothing to complain about either)...Very much like celestions only cleaner and more efficient.

The hiwatt cabinet was made from 3/4 inch baltic birch ply (marshalls were half inch baltic birch) and heavy as snot. The Hiwatts were definitely made by craftsman carpenters..nothing else was like that (even though I think only the volume affected the sound). There is a vent in the back at the bottom,,, later on, hiwatt put vents in the front between the speakers.

I've never played a hiwatt, in the studio or otherwise,...that sounded good at all unless it was turned up loud as hell. And most of the ones I've played couldn't be turned past the 12 or 1 oclock positions or they would start getting muddy,..much like an old Marshall Super Lead. Because we did not have access to old hiwatt cabinets,...we used old marshalls with the 25 watt celestions in them. They sounded nearly identical to the Vox celestions of the same era...and they were easy to find at the time. I think Celestion is now re-making them...at least that is what I read. Whether they sound the same or not I don't know.

Since a lot of people have asked..I have put a few youtube videos out there that have hiwatts,.. there are very few mellow spots..so you don't get much of that,..but for rock and roll you can give them a listen. They were all done many years ago on 2" tape,.about the time the DAT machines started to be used in studios rather than cassettes...for rough mixes..I mean. I do explain the guitar types and that. So, If you are still interested in Hiwatt, give them a listen,.. (and if you have a really old hiwatt cabinet that you'll part with (or...I have a 1983 dean baby V I could trade..black). that would flip my cookie.
I don't know how to list URLs..as I just put these hiwatt things on there. So I will list the titles...and you can go see if you can search and find them and have a listen. At least you'll hear what the hiwatt sounds like in a real mix,..with a speaker you can actually come up with nowadays.

"Hiwatt amplifiers at their best, studio recordings in Hollywood, CA"

Hiwatt amplifiers used in rock recordings, more sustain than anything else

Hiwatt amplifiers recorded using neumann tube microphones

Soldier used marshall super leads rather than hiwatts a couple times

The productions are nothing to brag about, but you get a very accurate depiction of a hiwatt as used in rock and roll. If I can dig one up, I am later going to put some music on there that uses the 30 watt hiwatt (1983ish) for leads..those things would scream.
Old 2nd December 2015
In all these posts nobody mentioned the difference between the dr103 and the 504. Unless things have changed in the last 20 or 30 years,..they are both nearly the same,...same transformers and everything,..the only difference was the 50 watt only had 2 power tubes...and the 100 had four. A tech told me that about 35 years ago as he had TWO apart in his shop.

I always had to really think before I could state which one was 50 and the other..100. The volume difference was just barely noticeable. Not sure what you mean by "break up"... That means too many things to too many different people. I'll take either one (Oh...I have each one..but I'll take ANOTHER of each).
I've put some heavy rock and roll from the 80s and early 90s on youtube that entails guitars using exclusively HIWATTs,. My Hiwatt crazy friends have been bugging me to do this so I finally did. You can have a listen and see that there is basically infinite sustain,,,,,etc., If some pretty stiff rock music is not your genre,..then you'll probably have to pass on it. I am just learning to post links...so here goes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzsLN-J6CMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfcNvAxd6ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx_Jzph0G8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAy0Kz4m390
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by puke View Post
,..the only difference was the 50 watt only had 2 power tubes...and the 100 had four.

... The volume difference was just barely noticeable. ...
that's true.
but the 100 ends up sounding quite different... and better,to my ears.

I don't love the 200 either

the DR103 is THE Hiwatt sound to me
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

The 200w Hiwatt isn't really a guitar amp, way too clean/sterile for guitar. Especially the KT88 version. Great for bass, if you're looking for a HUGE, clean, aggressive and kinda stiff/hifi sound. Stick a longplate Mullard in V1 and I can't think of any bass amps with more extended lows, waaay deep and impressively tight.
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
The 200w Hiwatt isn't really a guitar amp, way too clean/sterile for guitar. Especially the KT88 version. Great for bass, if you're looking for a HUGE, clean, aggressive and kinda stiff/hifi sound. Stick a longplate Mullard in V1 and I can't think of any bass amps with more extended lows, waaay deep and impressively tight.
I still much prefer the DR103s for bass guitar as well!
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear

DR-103
It's a sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search