The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

I want to hear that hollow body with the P-90's
through the 100 !

I'm sure a 12 string Rick would be an eye opener too.

As well as using it to track bass.
Old 28th December 2010

Here's a quick 5 minute clip, Heil PR20 on a V30.

Normal Channel
Gain - 8
Bass - 6
Treble - 6
Middle - 6.5
Presence - 2
Master - 8.5

5 guitars in order
Les Paul drop tuned
Tele
Les Paul standard tuning
Strat
335 w/P90s

SoundClick artist: James Lugo - page with MP3 music downloads
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Guru

Give Darin a call to see if maybe he can
let you try the C-100, your Super 78 and the incoming Custom Jimmy
through some Fanes!

Darin Ellingson Tonic Amps
203 W. Oakwood Blvd.
Redwood City, CA 94061
650-995-6946
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

Even though James has tried to keep test results consistent
running through his test cab with the V-30, I'm recommending
a more appropriate speaker to test these Hiwatt circuits.

I didn't understand what Fanes were about until I tried the two
I own.

No they are not vintage Crescendos, but there's a character that
remains constant. The low end holds together better than any speaker
I've tried.

The mids crisp and detailed and the top end mixes smooth with jangle.

My ideal test cab would be running a pair of EVM12L's or Fane Studio 12L's
with either AXA12's or Medusa Cast Frame C150's.

JBL D120s would be a good alternate.
Old 29th December 2010
yep those Hiwatt Cabs with Fanes were wonderful. Much bigger and fatter than
Celestions
Old 29th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I have 3 dr103s still, and use them all the time.
They're killer..
What a Marshall secretly WANTS to be when it grows up is a Hiwatt

The Hiwatt has a 12at7 (or au) in the preamp section and so is fairly clean on purpose. Some people replace it with 12ax7 for more grunge.
Not that I would!

yes!

I have a 1973 DR504 with 12ax7 in all preamp slots - great high quality Mid 70's Rush and AC/DC tones with master vol on full.

Very bright with the wrong speakers... Cel V30s are a no-no

(using a hotplate/powerbreak or other attenuator) - Turn the master volume all the way up and inputs around 12 to 1 oclock amazing full-bodied "british" crunch -

NB you have to keep the bass control at 10 o'clock or lower if you use the normal channel otherwise it gets mushy and flubby, especially if you crank the input gain all the way up.

Loads of mids with tons of sparkly detail - not to everyone's liking...

The mid range control is very wide - and the more you crank it the more gain you get

For more gain - I think the best way to push the input level is with a graphic EQ and knock some of the low freqs down and maybe the upper mids - push your fave frequencies and push the pedal's master level

kerrrangggg
Old 29th December 2010
Gear Guru

I'm waiting for him to try the Custom 100 through his 8X10 heh
Old 2nd January 2011
Here for the gear

Who knows about Hiwatt amps?

Come on man. If you are gana play a highwatt then you gata do it right. Do like Pete townshend and play a 100 watt massive vintage beast. That's the only way to go. But good luck finding one.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Here's a quick 5 minute clip, Heil PR20 on a V30.

Normal Channel
Gain - 8
Bass - 6
Treble - 6
Middle - 6.5
Presence - 2
Master - 8.5

5 guitars in order
Les Paul drop tuned
Tele
Les Paul standard tuning
Strat
335 w/P90s

SoundClick artist: James Lugo - page with MP3 music downloads
Don't know how it will sound in a mix (and we know that's a complete other kind of bizness…), but the Tele is way far over others… just can't believe how GOOD it sounds !!!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Guru

Are you running single channel or are you running a jumper?

I think the Amp and the Guitars all sound excellent,
I'm just not happy with how the V-30 is representing
that very fine amp and those studio guitars.

As Celestion is to Marshall and Vox

Fane is to Hiwatt
Old 2nd January 2011

I ended up passing on the Reeves Custom 100, just wasn't quite the right gain structure for my needs but a buddy of mine sent me a Reeves Custom 50 'Jimmy', the one modeled after the Hiwatt Dave Reeves modded for Page, used in Zeppelin from 69-71, now that amp is way more my trip. Drives a little more but still has the Hiwatt spank.

Here's the rig:
Marshall '71 Super Tremolo 100w (Dave Friedman Kitchen Sink mod)
Diezel VH4 100 Watt Head
Orange Rockerverb 50 Guitar Head
Reeves Super '78 (50w, Hiwatt)
Reeves Custom 'Jimmy' (50w, modded Hiwatt for Page)
Ceriatone Plexi Super Lead Plexi 100
Vox AC15 HTVH Hand Wired Head
Victoria 35210 Combo Amp (Tweed Fender Deluxe)

Old 2nd January 2011
You don't like a Bandmaster? As that would work nicely together with a Hiwatt. But then you'd have to use it like Pink Floyd's David Gilmour and I suppose that aint your cup of tea... So to speak..

I love to blend my Fender The Twin & my Floyd. I allso use some Fender M80 solidstates with either the The Twin or the Floyd. I sometimes allso use a Trace Elliot GRP3 stereohead as left and right. That way I can play W-D-W with one 4x12 cab modded to take two speakers for center and one speaker each for left and right... If you use it that way you usually do not have to do anything anymore to the sound during mixing. As what goes in comes out.

A split on L & R could be done after the pedalboard. So both wet channels can be fed directly into the mixingboard and allso taken from a pair of mics.

I use some dynamic omni's for left and right. This gives some air to the recording...
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Hiwatt help needed....

I just got a hi gain 50 combo (couldnt refuse the deal) thought i would use it for jamming.. I took it to practice and to be honest.. i love it.
Ive been looking for PDFs of manuals or schematics but cannot find any.. so does anyone here know any sites etc where i can get them?

Anyone know what the standard tubes are in it? mines just got hiwatt el34 or ecc83 on the pre.. ive seen a few sites where there is a ecc81 in v4 but the uk models ive seen have just got 83's in the pre amp...
Ive binned the standard tubes for winged C's..
Does anyone know what the sequence is for the pre amp (looking from the back Left to right)
I have seen a few schematics for other models and the order is V3, V4, V2, V1

thanks in advance

kev
Old 5th January 2011

Kev - do a search for Mark Huss - and check out his website. He would be able to tell you about the pre valves.

(EDIT - mhuss.com)

Mind you... if it is a moderm British Hi gain Hiwatt - just get in touch with Music Ground

-

In any case stick with all ECC83s - rockin tone

Make sure you get the amp biased for the winged Cs.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

MHuss. Haven't looked at his site for awhile but that guy knows his Hiwatts.
Old 5th January 2011
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Back in the day I owned a 50 and a Dr103. The DR103 is the one with the Mojo,
no question, finding a cab with Fanes is also a big part of the sound, it's a way different cab than a Marshall with Celestions. FFFT your Reeves sounds nice but old HiWatts wouldn't get that nasty until they were dimed. The old 4 jack DR103's you'd plug into the bottom normal run a short jack into the bottom brilliant, and dime all of the volumes.

I've owned both too and I prefered the DR103, even though it was what some consider the less desireable Biacrown era made amp. The DR504 I had was a 1976 Hylite made amp. The 50 watter was nice but the 100 watter was the better sounding amp. Both had NOS Mullards so the tone was creamy and beautiful. The 50 watter was a bit more harsh to my ears. You can tone down the break up of the 50 watter by using a 5751 in one of the pre amp tube slots. I forget which one.

Both were played through the same 4' x 12" Hiwatt, Hylite made cabinet loaded with maroon back, 75w Fanes.

A close match to the 75w maroon back Fanes is a Weber Thames and believe it or not, a 16ohm Peavy Sheffeild almost matched perfectly. I blew a fane and the Peavy speaker was the only thing that even came close.

Hiwatts are built like a tank, sound amazing and have headroom for days. My Hiwatt put any Marshall to shame that we A/B'd bewteen them.

I love Hiwatts. My Ric 360 through that 100 watter set to stun was a beautiful thing to behold. loud, tight and percussive with that hifi Hiwatt sound.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Kev - do a search for Mark Huss - and check out his website. He would be able to tell you about the pre valves.

(EDIT - mhuss.com)

Mind you... if it is a moderm British Hi gain Hiwatt - just get in touch with Music Ground

-

In any case stick with all ECC83s - rockin tone

Make sure you get the amp biased for the winged Cs.
Thanks for the reply.. ill check mark out...
The amps non bias so its alright to swap the tubes ( i made sure that they were matching)
Old 5th January 2011
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blidlad View Post
Thanks for the reply.. ill check mark out...
The amps non bias so its alright to swap the tubes ( i made sure that they were matching)
If you can, try and find East German production Seimens EL34. Much better than winged "C". They run a bit hotter but they sound amazing. Same sound as a Telefunken EL34, dimple and all but without the crazy price tag. They may be hard to find now but a few years ago some cat on ebay had a huge stash of them and I bought 3 matched quads for my Hiwatts. I sold off the extra tubes when I sold my Hiwatts since I had no other amps that took EL34's.
Old 5th January 2011
Here for the gear

I bought my DR103 in second hand music junk shop in the 80's for 200 quid!!

I dragged it home on the bus,, I must have been 14..

It never worked properly,, i brought to a few people here in Ireland who said they knew what they we're doing but didn't have a clue..

Finally got it fixed up about 5 years ago and bought Music Ground 2x12 Fane cab..

Awesome amp!!! Only problem is it's so bloody LOUD i rarely get a chance to turn it on without killing the neighbours ..
Attached Thumbnails
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?-my-dr103.jpg  
Old 6th January 2011

Wow it has that special rare upside-down sound
Old 6th January 2011
500 series nutjob

LOL
Old 6th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/G View Post
If you can, try and find East German production Seimens EL34. Much better than winged "C". They run a bit hotter but they sound amazing. Same sound as a Telefunken EL34, dimple and all but without the crazy price tag. They may be hard to find now but a few years ago some cat on ebay had a huge stash of them and I bought 3 matched quads for my Hiwatts. I sold off the extra tubes when I sold my Hiwatts since I had no other amps that took EL34's.

the seimans? aren't they RFT's? good tubes i reckon... what they like with pedals? Mind you the more im using the hiwatts distorted channel, the more im lovin it.. ive stopped using my keeley ds1 now (which i really liked). The reissue winged C's are pants.. i quite like the originals C's.. they sound better than the stock tubes..though not as bassy, does anyone know what the stock are btw?
Not seen any telefunkens 34's thou.. ive got some nos telefunken ecc83s in my pre amp.. i like them nearly as much as my mullard in v1..

Last edited by blidlad; 6th January 2011 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: adding to
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Had one here a while ago. Top + Cab. Very cool sounding amp. Nowhere near clean though. Barking Diesel sound. Loved it.
Old 6th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just to jump on the bandwagon... I love my SA212. Different from any other amp. It just sings...

Just don't go picking it up.
Old 7th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myles View Post
Just to jump on the bandwagon... I love my SA212. Different from any other amp. It just sings...

Just don't go picking it up.
Gotta chime in here as well. Love my SA212. The headroom on that thing is unreal and its balls out loud, I don't know how you could need the 100 watter! Absolutely loves pedals.

I know Music Ground UK has a bad rap for stuff that went down in their retail stores, but the build quality on the hand wired Hiwatts is top notch from wat I've seen. Too bad mine is hanging out in its road case more often than its getting played these days. I guess thats what marriage will do to ya.
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Guru

Music Ground Hiwatt takes a lot of heat for inferior component quality and build execution in addition to their insane prices for reproduction amps that STILL are not as good as a Reeves.
Old 7th January 2011

There was a problem with earlier runs - the OT transformers would blow... Quickly rectified apparently
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Music Ground Hiwatt takes a lot of heat for inferior component quality and build execution in addition to their insane prices for reproduction amps that STILL are not as good as a Reeves.
I got one and it is every bit as good as my early 70's models.
I have put it through some pretty serious "battle conditions" without a hiccup.
The output tubes were a little crappy from the factory.
Old 7th January 2011
Here for the gear

This thread got me thinking I could probably part with my SA212 due to lack of use these days. If you guys are looking for a combo version of the 50...
Hiwatt Custom 50 2x12 Combo SA212 (DR-504) - eBay (item 200562664703 end time Jan-17-11 00:26:29 PST)
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Addict

So we have interesting impressions with Hiwatt here.James wanted to know Hiwatts , real classy amp with all his mojo and finally he`s choosed another amp - some kind of Hiwatt`s version because Page`s hiwatt is another construction.Many of us have our own opinions about Hiwatts cabinet but the truth is that even Pete T prefered other speaker than Fanes - he`s choosed JBL`s.Original Fanes cabinets were used in 60`s and 70`s as main live guitar amplification because they have big low end .During recording thay are mainly to bassy and to wide sounding.I`ve made hundreds recordings with Hiwatt DR504 and different cabinets and speaker including 4X12 with Fanes , 4X12 with eminence Super V12 (Lynch cabinet) , 4X12 Mesa OS , 2X12 Scumbacks H75 , 2X12 Hellatones , 2X12 Fane Alnicos, 2X12 WeberBlue Dogs alnico, 2X12 Weber SilverBell, 2X12 Celestions C90) and i must say that ceramic Fanes in 4X12 (i even tried this cab with open back) are the hardest to record and the worst sounding from the rest.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search