The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hiwatt Custom 50 is amazing. I have a 1982, For both guitar and bass, you will have huge low end and huge top end as well. They are sooo loud, the overdrive is great, I`ve used it on clean guitars as well and man they are nice and thick.

I got one while I played in a band, we recorded and just for fun ran bass thru it and it sounded so amazing, the bass player sold everything he had to get a custom 100. Honestly to me the 50 sounded better.

I will never part with this amp, its got everything I want and more. You will love it.

Heavy as crap its a little tank, I think the only difference between the the 50 and 100 is power. The 50 has 2 EL34s and and the 100 has 4
Old 20th December 2010
I own a Floyd. Wich is a dutch copy of a Soundcity. Soundcity was the place where Dave Reeves learnd the trade. Them Hiwatts weren't a completely different design. With 4 ECC83 tubes the preamp had much more headroom then the preamp from Marshall or the Fender Bassman and was a clean amplifier. It was build in a time where such an amplifier was an instrument amplifier. And not a Guitar amplifier...

The Who and Pink Floyd were two bands who owned Hiwatt's and made them famous. But Hiwatt was a build to order firm and both Hiwatts (From Gilmour and from The Who boys) had different electronics in them. So you can buy a vintage Hiwatt. And every Hiwatt has basicly the same sound. But the sounds of The Who and Gilmour may or may not be accurate due to customisations in their amps.

You are fond of Ceriatone. I'd get their Hey-what amp. Get the 100 watt. And if you need alil less loud noise pull two tubes. And there you have the 50 watt version...

In Germany they build the Mywatt. They have the 50, 100 200 and 400 watt version (200 and 400 usually for bass).

When I hear you play on various amps I allways hear Mr Lugo. So those fingers are more important then the Partridge trafo's. But if you want to get slutty I'd get a truely vintage one...

In the end. There are new ones... So grab one.
Allso grab a new Hiwatt cabinet. And buy some old cabs if you can and take out the speakers (FANE Crescendo) and put them in the new cab. (Old cab's STINK MAN).

Allso you may want to grab a Fender PS400 or PS300 and one of their 1x18 cabs. And you do not have an Kustom 3x15 cab with solidstate head (for bass) or a Acoustic Controll amp. (Jaco Pastorius) This would give you all the HIGH END vintage sounds for bass besides that Hiwatt head. (Wich was used for bass and guitar).

& Do you have an Octave up fuzz (Jimi Hendrix) (Danelectro French Toast comes close (30 dollars or so) & a Uni-vibe clone. I use a Coolcat Vibe. But maybe you could grab a Fulltone pedal (Deja-vibe).

Hope this helps
Old 20th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Both pre-amp volumes ARE DIMED in my clips.

We had to keep the master at 10:00 to prevent blowing my vintage CTS AlNiCos in the 8X10 cab. The true safe rating with these original 32 Ohm
CTS AlNiCo drivers was closer to 150 watts.
This is why the early SVT literature recommended running TWO 8X10
cabs with the SVT head.

This cab does compress and compared to todays high efficiency cabs
it delivers the tones with about a 30% volume reduction compared
to your typical 100 dB SPL drivers.

Here I'm just running into the bright channel , no jumper pre volume
at about 1:00
Note Mid control is OFF Master at 10:00

I was blown away by the depth, warmth and detail of these cleans
with humbuckers and using a full hollow body.

you certainly have a nice sound, but my point was old Hiwatts wouldn't break up like that unless the MASTER was also dimed. The old Hiwatts as Will Wittman pointed out were notoriously clean, when I played in rock bars I'd throw a packing blanket over the cab, so it could get in the PA, and later the Scholz Power soak worked ok when attenuated 3db, more than that it sounded like ass. Out of all of the amps I've owned and sold, the two I regret selling were my DR103 with 2 100 watt cabs with Fanes and a 1962 Fender Super Amp. And I regret the Hiwatt more. I'd love to check out a Reeves one of these days, or find an old clean DR103
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Also, check out the newer Hiwatt Studio/Stage model. It's a phenominal amp. I tried out several Hiwatts and walked out the store with this one. It gets that Hiwatt sound at a lower level. I'd skip the 20 watt model though. Severely lacking in the ass end. There are some Blues Saraceno clips on youtube where he demo's the Studio/Stage in a 4 part video......extremely thorough demo.
Old 20th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltamisin View Post
Also, check out the newer Hiwatt Studio/Stage model. It's a phenominal amp. I tried out several Hiwatts and walked out the store with this one. It gets that Hiwatt sound at a lower level. I'd skip the 20 watt model though. Severely lacking in the ass end. There are some Blues Saraceno clips on youtube where he demo's the Studio/Stage in a 4 part video......extremely thorough demo.
Yeah I watched the vids last night, great. Man I love his playing too.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Even though I'm clearly just a hack on guitar, the more I play and the better I get, the more I appreciate an amp that doesn't lie to me.

These amps can be unforgiving because of their excellent note definition.

I loved my Vintage SVT, but playing through the Reeves 225 made me feel
like I was really hearing my '64 Jazz Bass and my Hofner in their own natural voice, for the first time.

You can hear the wood and the strings and your fingers messing up on the
strings and all things good and bad about the performance and the
instrument.

Check out the Isle of Wight videos on youtube for some Hiwatt goodness.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Those 200 watt Hiwatt bass rigs are the best bass sound period. Nothing can compete. I'll never forget the first time I plugged into a 200 watt Hiwatt head pushing a Hiwatt 8x10 cab. Bottom for days and just thick and meaty.
On guitar Hiwatt's make me play different. Less cheese and more nasty if that makes sense. For me, Hiwatt's are the end all solution in the world of guitar and bass amplification.
Hiwatt fans should check out the movie "It Might Get Loud".....Page is still rockin his famous Hiwatt.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Caution:

Use of this equipment may result
in a sudden, uncontrollable urge
to swing arms wildly in a circular motion,
while attempting human flight
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

I use Hiwatt DR 504 made in England in 2006 on stage and in the studio.Top quality , very noble sound with NOS tubes.No difference between old Hiwatt from 70`s - i know .This amp sounds fantastic with bass too.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

A buddy of mine has a Reeves Custom 50 and a Reeves 2x12 CAB with the Reeves Purple speakers. He can pretty much nail those Gilmore type sounds with it. Has clean headroom for days, very quiet, well built rig.
DaveT
Old 20th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Hey guys I recently played a vintage DR 103 and really dug it. I've been reading some about the amps and asked a buddy of mine some questions but I just wanted to get you guy's take on it. I only see them on ebay so I can't go and play them.

1. It seems like they have a 100 watt guitar amp which is the DR 103 and a 50 watter called the DR 504, are they basically the same amp just different power?

2. I don't care how loud it is I want the right one. Some people like the 50's and some like the 100's what's your take on sound differences?

3. Does the 50 break up earlier?

4. What model is THE quintessential sound?

Personally I'm not really looking for the one that breaks up earlier or easily, I want something a little cleaner then some of the amps in my collection.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the subject. Also vintage versus new versus Reeves? Any other model or amp I could be looking at? I really want that spanky sheery slicing tone ala The Who and JET.

Any help would be cool.
had both and used HiWatts for about 8 years (playing from clean to very mild crunch) and there was no 'real' diff the 100 watter had a very little more low end omph at louder volumes (which it did not need) just due to the extra pinch of headroom.. I could use either and it made no diff to the feel or sound. (both were set up well by Jeff Bakos in Atlanta) .. a 100 will stay cleaner longer just due to the power..

I also had the same 50 watt amp in a Bulldog combo... they are great amps and really responded well to pedals and effects as they had huge amounts of headroom. and the more I cranked them the better they sounded.

not at all like the major diff between a Marshall 50 and 100 watt.. look more at the condition either will do the HiWatt thing
Old 26th December 2010
Gear Head

Don't want to hijack the thread, but as I said before, I just scored a pretty clean looking hylight Dr103 from a second hand shop relatively cheaply. They did not have a clue on what they were selling. I got an new hiwatt 2x12 with fanes, did i do justice to the Dr103? Didnt have the money or space for the 4x12. Also am really wondering about tubes as they look completely original, mullards in the pre and miniwatt dario el34 which i believe came out of the mullard factory. Has original Partridge transformers as well. It sounds great but i wonder if a change the el34 would sound even better? Talked to the previous owner and it seems that he bought it like 30 odd years ago and did not play much! Also wonder if i should do a recap job. Thanks to the hiwatt experts!!!
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even though I'm clearly just a hack on guitar, the more I play and the better I get, the more I appreciate an amp that doesn't lie to me.

These amps can be unforgiving because of their excellent note definition.
So true! They will teach you how to control those strings (and drive you mad while they do it). No reverb, no massive overdrive, just exactly what you played put right back in your face - it can be kind of intimidating and will definitely make you clean up your act (or send you running back to your Mesa)!
Old 26th December 2010
GS moderator Blast9 is a hiwatt nut

50w + some tricks up his sleeve about a pedal before it?
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi,

Here´s a pic of the Hiwatt JP103 reissue (Jimmy Page replica). It seem´s that Hiwatt only made 50 of these reissues. The one on the pic is nº20 of 50. The price is 2.995€

Anyway, wish I could try one of these out! When I grow up, I want a JP103 LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?-agua-1-.jpg  
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

I would have to bet Pete Cornish is the guy to ask over on the other side
of the pond there.

Wow what a guest he would be here at GS.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict
I think this is one of the very early ones from around 1969. Notice the metal badge and the words "custom built" around the master volume. I also have the 4-12 with Fanes. It's loud! Kinda like getting hit by a linebacker when it's turned up. It really sounds great. You feel like you can hear each individual string ringing. Very touch responsive.

Also, this guy Clayton Callaway is REALLY into Hiwatts. He's also on TheGearPage.

http://www.vintagehiwattconvention.com/forum/

Old 27th December 2010

It looks like the Reeves Custom 100 is set to arrive at my place tomorrow and out of nowhere a buddy of mine is sending me his Reeves Custom Jimmy 50. It shipped out today should be here the end of the week. If I like it it's mine too. Crazy turn of events. We'll see. I went up to the studio this weekend and cranked up my Reeves Super 78 50 watter, what an incredible amp. Makes me want to write songs and put a band around its sound. I gotta work on my Townsend windmills....lol
Attached Images
Who knows about Hiwatt amps?-petetownsend_windmill-150x150.jpg 
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

I had a Hiwatt 50 that I bough new in about 1980 that had 2 inputs, and they were cascaded. And I loved that amp. I didn't use pedals back then, I really thought all of the big boys got their distortion from the amp only. I did use a Power Soak though, with the master cranked, and the volumes at about 6. A friend of mine picked up an older one with non-linked volume controls and I did not like the way it broke up at all. Now, of course, I would slap a tasty pedal in front of it to get that gain and distortion. I sure wish I had my Hiwatt back. Or any Hiwatt. they just "bitch" like no other amp. I traded mine for a Laney AOR100 and cab, which I sold so I could buy a Lee Jackson Metaltronix. The Metaltronix does have some cool sounds in it, but I would still really really love to have a Hiwatt again. I know I'm rambling, but I just can't help it. Good luck on your Hiwatt search.
Old 27th December 2010

The Reeves Custom 100 just arrived at the Fedex depot in LA...
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hey James whichever one you get I'll be a great addition to your collection, also if you want it tweaked to perfection there's a guy here in south Florida that will do wonders to that amp, he use to work for high watt way back when they were more "boutique". If you want his info just pm me
Old 27th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKRICK View Post
Hey James whichever one you get I'll be a great addition to your collection, also if you want it tweaked to perfection there's a guy here in south Florida that will do wonders to that amp, he use to work for high watt way back when they were more "boutique". If you want his info just pm me
Thanks I'll let you know.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

When Bill shipped my 225, the Fed Ex guy was running late, so I called dispatch and they set it up for me to meet him at the local Fedex/Kinkos
5 minutes from my office.

I have both FedEx and UPS major hubs within 45 minutes and I've
intercepted packages there several times rather than wait another
day for the package to bounce around in the truck.

You sure are gonna have a fun week!
Old 27th December 2010

Quote:
When Bill shipped my 225, the Fed Ex guy was running late, so I called dispatch and they set it up for me to meet him at the local Fedex/Kinkos
5 minutes from my office.

I have both FedEx and UPS major hubs within 45 minutes and I've
intercepted packages there several times rather than wait another
day for the package to bounce around in the truck.

You sure are gonna have a fun week!
Yeah the package just updated for Tuesday delivery but it looks like it's gonna be here at the depot in the morning, I may give them a buzz and pick it up.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Basically, I'm really bad at waiting, so yeah INTERCEPT!
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Another note about old Hiwatts - mine is from 1970 and I made sure my tech was getting it back to top shape, the electrolytics in the PSU, bias, the lot. There can be big differences between early Hiwatts if some of the parts in there are getting too old.
This amp is fantastic for that Plexitone the Plexi can't give you and for Bass as well - with 2x15" it's loud enough to keep up with a loud drummer.
If you play it in a band, get a THD hotplate and shave off max. 8dB into a 2x12" or even 1x12" speaker. It will still be loud as a jetplane fighter attack, but then everybody else just plays as loud and you're good.

The germany Mywatts are good amps, too, but not exactly the same. For that kind of money they are hard to beat.
Old 27th December 2010

Quote:
Basically, I'm really bad at waiting, so yeah INTERCEPT!
It's on the truck out for delivery.
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hi,
I collected Hiwatts back when they were cheap.
At one point I ended up with over 30...
Combos, heads, modded versions, slaves, PA heads.
My favorites were always early 70's 103's and 105's.
When they started going away in the early 80's, I ended up getting pretty much every other kind of boutique amp over the next 15 years.
I played an Audio Brothers re-issue in 1997 and it was like....Oh yeah...
I was never able to get the Hiwatt thing happening again until then.
So, I got back into them.
It's interesting how whenever you play a gig with another guitarist, their stage rig is lacking in comparison.
I still have a few original amps. It makes me sick that they are getting really valuable.
In 2006, I picked up a new English Hiwatt custom 50.
I had to change el34's as the stock tubes were pretty harsh, but it sounds fantastic. Slightly different than my 1971 version, but in a good way. A little more present.
I had a bias adjustment installed too.
I have yet to actually mess with a Reeves but would love to hear from someone who has some time on one.

James.....Let us know how yours is.

B
Old 27th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
It's on the truck out for delivery.
Nothing like a good old California delivery truck shakedown
to pre-season an amp
for a life of Rock and Roll. heh
Old 28th December 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post
Hi,
I collected Hiwatts back when they were cheap.
At one point I ended up with over 30...
Combos, heads, modded versions, slaves, PA heads.
My favorites were always early 70's 103's and 105's.
When they started going away in the early 80's, I ended up getting pretty much every other kind of boutique amp over the next 15 years.
I played an Audio Brothers re-issue in 1997 and it was like....Oh yeah...
I was never able to get the Hiwatt thing happening again until then.
So, I got back into them.
It's interesting how whenever you play a gig with another guitarist, their stage rig is lacking in comparison.
I still have a few original amps. It makes me sick that they are getting really valuable.
In 2006, I picked up a new English Hiwatt custom 50.
I had to change el34's as the stock tubes were pretty harsh, but it sounds fantastic. Slightly different than my 1971 version, but in a good way. A little more present.
I had a bias adjustment installed too.
I have yet to actually mess with a Reeves but would love to hear from someone who has some time on one.

James.....Let us know how yours is.

B
Thanks for the great post.

We have a session in today but I took the Reeves Custom 100 into the live room for a few minutes and cranked it up. From what I can tell it sounds fabulous. Not just loud but it creates so much pressure in your ear. The tone is so full and alive. Classic with my Paul and so spanky yet smooth at the same time with the Tele. Just killer. I played a RI Hiwatt this past week, seems similar at low volumes but I wasn't able to crank the Hiwatt.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search