The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bae dmp/great river/golden age/daking Single-Channel Preamps
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Bae dmp/great river/golden age/daking

this is for acoustic instruments and vocal's. i had a rupert neve 5012. i got it real cheap and turned it for a $500 profit. i liked it alot but i didn't use it in stereo much, and i just had to let it go. cause of the money i could make off it. now im wanting a single pre (no eq) in the neve ballpark. so it's
golden age,bae dmp,or great river. and im just throwing in the daking cause its a single unit. in the same price range and ive heard great thing's about it.
(ive also thought about a used neve 5015) also i just don't want the temptation of a 500 rack. it's overkill for me.

my other pre's are a hamptone stereo tube pre (which if im recording mono or stereo guitar and vox it's my go to) and the apogee mini me pres which are cleaner and that i use a bit and really like for the total unit.
(overall under a grand it's the best piece of gear in the world) in my opinion. thanks to all.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Maybe you want to try the daking 500 mic pre:
there's one on sale from eBay
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

The DMP is really nice. crank it, it sounds lovely.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Love the Daking! I had a 5012 too, and a Great River. I prefer the Daking to both. Its not as thick, but its more lovely and works always. I sold all of my pres (API, 5012, TAB) and got 3 Daking 4s.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

yeah ive heard daking clips and they sound great on acoustics
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

Do a search here.. There are a few shootouts between gr me 1nv and the bae dmp.. In my opinion, I preferred the DMP.. It sounds "bigger" than the gr.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Maniac

To me, the gr is not quite as big or upfront as the bae, but if you have a bit of a nasally voice, the gr will tame that. It seems to soften or smooth out the high mids. This is why I chose it over the bae and vintech.
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear
I have a API and Great River...Love the API on all things rock and the color, but the Great River is very practical for vocals which make most of the money next to guitars in my studio. If I had to keep one it would be the Great River by logical sense, but the API for the tonal slut in me. Great River is just lush and works great with sm7b,sm57,re-20 and most mics. It can take a ok mic like a sm57 and just make it sound something of beauty. It is number one on vocals, acoustic, room mics...easly used and works on big low end bass n synths. Not my first for electric guitars but will do the job...That's where the API sound comes in for mid range snappy color with snare drums,synths,bass for me.

I would look at the Great River and the new Neve 1073lb in a lunchbox...Later get a API 512c used they even go cheap and that would really round you off and cover so much. I have 3 slots left and I'm not going bankrupt to fill it up haha it can wait! It's just nice to not pay the extra $400 on power supply if you decide to buy anything else eq,comp,pre later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search