The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Superior Drummer - Are the sounds raw or processed? Gearlist from Toontrack Condenser Microphones
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Superior Drummer - Are the sounds raw or processed? Gearlist from Toontrack

Hi,

Just out of curiousity I mailed toontrack for a complete gearlist when recording the Avatar Kit

I often heard that the Superior sounds are raw and not processed - but is that really the case? By processed I mean if they are EQ:ed - boost or cut in frequencies - I would personally like them to be raw but I really don't know

Of course there are some obvious elements in the program so I'm not trying to say that toontrack is hiding anything. The room mics are named eg - "ambnearcomp" which clearly states that the mics are compressed.

And the snare fx is obviously a parallell compressed snare.

But I'm wondering about the closed miced kick, snare and toms - In the gearlist they are ran through different EQ:s - But do they mean that the signals have just passed through, eg, the pultecs just to get the sound from the large transformers or have they pre eq:ed the sounds?

Does anyone know?

Here is the list the gave me from the avatar samples

CONSOLE
Neve 8068
CHANNELS/MICS/ROUTINGS
KickIn AudioTechnica AE 2500 A -> Pulteq MEQ-5 -> GML EQ 8200
KickIn AudioTechnica AE 2500 B -> Pulteq -MEQ5 -> LA2A
KickOut U47 FET -> Neve EQ ->
KickSub Yamaha NS10 -> Neve EQ
SnareTop Shure SM56 -> Pulteq EQP
SnareBottom AKG 451 -> Neve EQ
Tom1 Top Sennheiser 421 / Bottom Sennheiser 421 -> Bottom to Drawmer Gate -> Both bussed to NeveEQ

Tom2 Top Sennheiser 421 / Bottom Sennheiser 421 -> Bottom to Drawmer Gate -> Both bussed to NeveEQ

Tom3 Top Sennheiser 421 / Bottom Sennheiser 421 -> Bottom to Drawmer Gate -> Both bussed to NeveEQ

Tom4 Top Sennheiser 421 / Bottom Sennheiser 421 -> Bottom to Drawmer Gate -> Both bussed to NeveEQ

Tom5 Top Sennheiser 421 / Bottom Sennheiser 421 -> Bottom to Drawmer Gate -> Both bussed to NeveEQ

Hihat AKG 451 -> Neve EQ
OH AKG 460 -> Neve EQ
AMB Close Neumann KM54 -> Neve 33609 Compressor
AMB Mid Coles -> SSL Compressor
AMB Far Neumann U87 -> LA-3A
AMB Mono Brauner VMA -> Trowbridge preamp -> Trowbridge Comp
AMB Bullet Bulletmic -> Johnson Compressor
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Superior Drummer - Are the sounds raw or processed? Gearlist from Toontrack

I remember reading that the original s2.0 library did have a little bit of processing on the way in. I have the metal foundry kit as well, which was supposed to be captured raw, and when I compare the 2, the original library does sound "processed".
Old 22nd December 2010
Most of the Superior libraries are minimally processed yes.
The approach is that of a normal tracking session.
Most great engineers look at drum tuning, mic choice and mic placement first.
Once that's sorted, they might adjust with a little eq here and there.
Never so much that it predetermines the sound as the project goes along, or hinders any drastic processing at mixdown.
So, many channels in Superior have light eq.
Nothing is ever compressed (or gated) unless it's specifically revealed by Toontrack or in the product.
Nothing in Custom & Vintage was compressed, except for one ambient mic which was listed in the product as compressed ambience.
I think Toontrack have been clear that all the ambience channels in Avatar (the default library) have a certain level of compression.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search