The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Metric Halo ULN2 2d upgrade OR SM7b mic? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Metric Halo ULN2 2d upgrade OR SM7b mic?

OK, tossing up what is going to be a better investment right now...

I have a Rode NTK mic currently that I track vocals thru using the MH ULN2 pre's...sounds good.

I am after a new vocal sound now and was considering the Shure SM7b from what I read here it's the bomb for it's price.

There is a 2d Card upgrade special at the moment for MH users at around $400...similar to what I'll pay for the new mic.

Which is better in my situation and why?

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you need more plugin/DSP power and ADAT optical, or a different sounding mic? They're two totally different capabilities. Only you can decide what's best for your needs.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The 2d upgrade is a fantastic improvement to the Metric Halo, and highly recommended. Having said that, there would be a more noticeable difference in sound between the two mics.
Ultimately however, ALL of your signals go through the MH, so that would be a good place to upgrade. You can always pick up good mics at a discount used, but MH rarely offers the discount. I'd get the 2d (have 3 and love them) and look around later for a good used SM7b (have one and like it, but don't use it everyday like the MH). My 2c, YMMV.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

While I have an SM7 I can go to for vocals, I'd never call it a mic I go to for a 'particular' vocal sound. However, if your not 2D capable already, it will expand your mixing and tracking horizons immensely, opening up a whole new work flow.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Head

Thank you for your input guys!

Just wondering, in terms of improving my plugin/dsp power, does this only count for MH plugins or will the added dsp power be able to fuel Waves plugs etc?

Sorry if thats a stupid question :/
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnomer09 View Post

Just wondering, in terms of improving my plugin/dsp power, does this only count for MH plugins or will the added dsp power be able to fuel Waves plugs etc?

It's only for MH plugins. And a license for those plugins is NOT included with the 2d card.

I haven't upgraded my ULN-2 for that reason, though eventually I will have to because MH won't support the legacy box past the current mio software release (not too thrilled about that). The other reason I haven't upgraded is that the converters and pres on the ULN-8 are better than the ULN-2. I'm hoping MH updates the ULN-2 soon. I'd rather just buy a new one (with better specs) than upgrade my current one.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my ULN-2. But it's a hard time to know whether to upgrade it.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnomer09 View Post

Just MH plugs.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's worth noting that the 2d card give you access to the 2d mixer. That in itself is worth the upgrade. That said, there are plenty of reasons to get the SM7b. It's a very useful mic and a nice alternative to the Rode. I guess it is worth thinking about price and timing. The price on the SM7b isn't going anywhere, the 2d card...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave999z View Post
It's only for MH plugins. And a license for those plugins is NOT included with the 2d card.

I haven't upgraded my ULN-2 for that reason, though eventually I will have to because MH won't support the legacy box past the current mio software release (not too thrilled about that). The other reason I haven't upgraded is that the converters and pres on the ULN-8 are better than the ULN-2. I'm hoping MH updates the ULN-2 soon. I'd rather just buy a new one (with better specs) than upgrade my current one.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE my ULN-2. But it's a hard time to know whether to upgrade it.
There are a bunch of "character" plugs included, along with a great reverb, and the usual channelstrip. And although the newer converters are better, the 2d card improves the clocking and lowers jitter significantly on the legacy units. The specs are pretty darn close to the newer boxes after the upgrade. Well worth the discount price, IMHO, especially compared to the price of i.e. ULN-8.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search