The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How guitars sound in the mix??? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 19th December 2010
  #31
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post

...
A mix is largely an illusion --there's just not enough room in a typical mix (esp modern pop/rock/etc) for all the instruments ....

Guitars can be especially dramatic.... and sometimes even quite unpleasant when solo'd...- it really doesn't matter how individual elements sound when solo'd ...
NeedsMoreFuzz ....needs to make more mixes it seems...

there is a point in the mixing learning curve where this idea makes you feel better about your work...however..the truly great mixes don't have the same shortcomings....

if you are feeling this, keep working
---How's the weather up there mate? Glad you could spare a min to chat with us mortals......

Patronising people, without actually adding anything useful to the discussion doesn't really serve much purpose man.

Oh, and I don't need to "feel better" about my work -- I'm perfectly happy with it, as are my clients, thanks.


(If you can spare a moment --- perhaps you could point me towards some of these "truly great" mixes, so I can see what I've been missing? --- Do bear in mind, of course, that I fairly specifically mentioned modern rock/pop in my initial statement which you took exception too....)
Old 19th December 2010
  #32
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
One thing I did was really start listening to my favorite guitarists on record and I realized that, basically, I had developed knob fever. I turned everything up to 11. After a while I started realizing that I my problem was too much of everything and I started recrafting my guitar sounds at the amp to get more of what I liked in other folks' guitar recordings.

(For me, one of the big things was way, way, way less distortion. For others, it will be different, of course, since my idea of a great guitar sound for rock might be something like Jimi Hendrix's guitar, which almost borders on clean tone by today's standards.)

Yeah -- the too much distortion thing is pretty epidemic, but I'm sure you've had as much fun as I have trying to explain to a guitarist how/why backing off on the gain knob will make their guitar sound bigger.......
Old 19th December 2010
  #33
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
---How's the weather up there mate? Glad you could spare a min to chat with us mortals......

Patronising people, without actually adding anything useful to the discussion doesn't really serve much purpose man.

Oh, and I don't need to "feel better" about my work -- I'm perfectly happy with it, as are my clients, thanks.


(If you can spare a moment --- perhaps you could point me towards some of these "truly great" mixes, so I can see what I've been missing? --- Do bear in mind, of course, that I fairly specifically mentioned modern rock/pop in my initial statement which you took exception too....)
Oh not at all Fuzz...I have plenty of time to help identify misguided (even if it is well intentioned) info...You are at that part of your learning curve...which means you are learning...keep going...lots to learn before passing yourself off as an expert...I'm not dispensing "advice" because I am only at a certain point on my learning curve...some are well ahead of mine and some are behind...that's why it's called learning.

I think it's prudent to point out when someone is passing off questionable mixing advice as expert advice.

For great mix advice, do a search of guys like Greg Wells, MBrauer, Bob Ohllson, RCM, Chris Carter, PhillySoulMan, Mixerman,Bob Clearmountain and Round Badge...oh yeah and UBK seems to understand some of the finer points of mixing...you , however, don't. So don't pass yourself off as such please.

I think young aspiring mix engineers deserve a little balance when looking for info and your info IS relevant, in so much as this is an important phase that every good mix engineer has to go through. Good Luck
Old 19th December 2010
  #34
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
Oh not at all Fuzz...I have plenty of time to help identify misguided (even if it is well intentioned) info...You are at that part of your learning curve...which means you are learning...keep going...lots to learn before passing yourself off as an expert...I'm not dispensing "advice" because I am only at a certain point on my learning curve...some are well ahead of mine and some are behind...that's why it's called learning.

I think it's prudent to point out when someone is passing off questionable mixing advice as expert advice.

For great mix advice, do a search of guys like Greg Wells, MBrauer, Bob Ohllson, RCM, Chris Carter, PhillySoulMan, Mixerman,Bob Clearmountain and Round Badge...oh yeah and UBK seems to understand some of the finer points of mixing...you , however, don't. So don't pass yourself off as such please.

I think young aspiring mix engineers deserve a little balance when looking for info and your info IS relevant, in so much as this is an important phase that every good mix engineer has to go through. Good Luck

Wow --- seriously, wow.


For one --- take a look back mate --- I did not (nor have I ever) passed, or tried to pass myself off as an "expert". How are you measuring this expertise exactly?

I don't believe you actually have any way of knowing the age of either myself, the OP or anyone else here -- so I don't think there's any need for the "aspiring young mix engineers" comment -- again, needless condescending comments that contribute nothing to the thread.

Now, there's two possibilities here ----- either you're simply itching for an argument, and are trolling --- in which case, nice one, I bit
Or secondly --- perhaps you really are just that arrogant. I'm tending towards the latter.


So yeah, I guess my (non-expert) advice to you mate would be to actually try reading posts properly before firing this kinda thing off:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
I think it's prudent to point out when someone is passing off questionable mixing advice as expert advice.
What were you pointing out exactly? The fact that you have a differing opinion to mine, and rather than going through the whole bother of having a reasonable conversation about it, you'd much rather come across as a bit of a pompous, narcissistic twit, who has offered nothing to this thread so far, besides a first-hand demonstration of a rather fine superiority complex?

I'm more than fine with the fact that you have a very different opinion to mine, and I enjoy nothing more than a good lively, adult debate on the many intricacies of recording --- in fact, without differing opinions, there would be little need for GS in the first place! I will state my views and opinions as clearly and succinctly as possible (again, never claiming to be any kind of authority -- just so we're clear ) just as I did with my original post here. But really mate, if all you want to do is try your best to talk down to someone for your own amusement, might I suggest you try taking it elsewhere, because it really serves no useful purpose here.

Also, I'm afraid that many others here would prob take exception with your comments too, as the general consensus of opinion would suggest that many share my views re modern mixing.......


Now, can we please let this go, as pointless bickering helps no-one, and I certainly have no desire to continue it.
Old 19th December 2010
  #35
Gear Nut
 

I also think it is important to note that the ability to honestly asses your own work, accept where you are and move forward from that is HUGE to becoming a better mixer.

To the OP...I think it's great that you are depressed...means you care about it...if you were just cocky and thought you knew it all, then that would be a problem. I'm certain you will figure out how to get past this hump in your process. Good Luck

Edit: Oh and I forgot that I meant to directly address the OP's concern by agreeing with those posts that suggest that a good mix can and does contain good sounding individual tracks when soloed...just in case I hadn't made that point clear!
Old 19th December 2010
  #36
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
A mix is largely an illusion --there's just not enough room in a typical mix (esp modern pop/rock/etc) for all the instruments to be running full-bandwidth all the time ---- so when you think you're hearing a huge distorted guitar for example -- as you've just found out, when you hear the guitar in isolation it's often very, very different to how your brain perceives it in the context of the full mix.
I'm blunt about it.

Q: "How do they get that big bass/big kick?"

A: "They don't." (Because it's an illusion)

Or, well, the end result is they do, but rarely is that the case in isolation. Soloed they don't. Has anyone heard most kicks soloed? Holy ****, that's an eye opener.
Old 20th December 2010
  #37
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
I'm blunt about it.

Q: "How do they get that big bass/big kick?"

A: "They don't." (Because it's an illusion)

Or, well, the end result is they do, but rarely is that the case in isolation. Soloed they don't. Has anyone heard most kicks soloed? Holy ****, that's an eye opener.
very true ------ it's really big-sounding kick/bass -- the solo'd reality could well be very different! As you say, some solo'd kick sounds are pretty "surprising", to say the least...


***



Oh yeah and I forgot to say earlier --mattsearles --- your reply was a very good read---- it's interesting hearing someone's take on things who comes from a more visual background
Old 20th December 2010
  #38
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
I'm blunt about it.

Q: "How do they get that big bass/big kick?"

A: "They don't." (Because it's an illusion)

Or, well, the end result is they do, but rarely is that the case in isolation. Soloed they don't. Has anyone heard most kicks soloed? Holy ****, that's an eye opener.
How exactly would you know? ..are you privy to the individual tracks of great mixes somehow?...no you are not because you would have to be present while it was being mixed...so the reality is that you most likely are talking about YOUR soloed kik drum...which I'm assuming from your post...sounds horrendous...which is fine...but is not indicative of what happens in great mixes.

As has been previously stated a big part of elements sitting right is arrangement and performance...which comes from producing something properly.

Also making something smaller in a mix without making it thin and ugly is a huge part of the craft...and can be achieved in many different ways...

Making room for everything with an eq is a stage that you get to, and that's great...making room for everything without carving the life outta everything is step above that.

Keep working
Old 20th December 2010
  #39
Lives for gear
 
brockorama's Avatar
 

I have been working from a project template lately that seems to possess several things I have been working towards as far as "my" tastes are concerned in pop/rock or hard rock.

First and foremost is Softube focusing EQ on the guitar bus. I do adjust it but its a great place to start and the guitar always seems to fit with the kik and the bass so nicely.

Its a very elegant plug and fits my workflow to a T. Thanks Softube
Old 20th December 2010
  #40
Mixing engineer that mixes most of my stuff is EQ-ing in solo all the time,
makes every single sound to sound great on its own and yet gets a great sounding mixes.
That's just wrong fuuck
Old 20th December 2010
  #41
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

For whatever it's worth, I don't generally experience the process of fitting things into mixes (dense or otherwise) as one of making things 'smaller'. Generally it involves making them more focused, so that their energy sits more consistently in a fairly well defined space, that space being determined by context and what's available. Smaller is one way to go, but taller and/or more mid-forward and/or brighter are more common in my experience.

The better the arrangement, the simpler that slotting process is as the notes & silences dovetail better, and instruments are (hopefully) voiced so that they don't step on each other's frequency range. If the tracking is solid, better still, as the mic choice and placement mean the tones are already inclined to play well with one another. If your performances are solid things get even easier as the pockets line up, which is crucial to getting things to pop and sing.

But even on albums with the most incredibly slick arrangements, killer tracking, and masterful performances, modern mixing is still a fairly active contact sport. Knobs gotta be turned, sounds gotta be bent and squozen into submission, because the vast majority of listeners aren't interested in reality, they want something bigger, deeper, more compelling.


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2010
  #42
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
For whatever it's worth, I don't generally experience the process of fitting things into mixes (dense or otherwise) as one of making things 'smaller'. Generally it involves making them more focused, so that their energy sits more consistently in a fairly well defined space, that space being determined by context and what's available. Smaller is one way to go, but taller and/or more mid-forward and/or brighter are more common in my experience.
I think that's what a lot of people mean when they say "smaller" Gregory -- that's essentially also the definition I would give to "smaller" in this context..
Old 20th December 2010
  #43
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Mixing engineer that mixes most of my stuff is EQ-ing in solo all the time,
makes every single sound to sound great on its own and yet gets a great sounding mixes.
That's just wrong fuuck


there you go...yes that's another topic I guess...or maybe we can go there here, but eqing things when soloed is ALSO something that is essential in my opinion...at the same time equing when not soloed is equally important...both ways yeild different results for different reasons...both essential..
Old 20th December 2010
  #44
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
. but it's like: I would never EQ a guitar like that.

How can you consider that a crappy sound is going to sound good in the mix?
you don't need to consider it. just ACCEPT it.

you may not realize it just yet..but you figured out the secret already....here is a hint...(in your own words)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
.The fact is that in the overall mix they sound good
it is as simple...and as difficult as it sounds. but knowing this fact will open up many doors for you if you keep it in mind always....stuff in a mix often only sounds right when it is IN the mix.

it is an illusion. pure and simple.

everything is relative. to everything else.

good luck.


best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 20th December 2010
  #45
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
I think that's what a lot of people mean when they say "smaller" Gregory -- that's essentially also the definition I would give to "smaller" in this context..

Ahh, then we're in agreement! thumbsup


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2010
  #46
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
you don't need to consider it. just ACCEPT it.

Hmm... sounds like a pretty good way to live a life if you ask me.


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2010
  #47
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post

everything is relative. to everything else.

good luck.


best,

jchristopherhughes
Well you got that part right...let's just say that making a mix work and making a great mix are two completetly different animals...lots of people make mixes work ..that's a far cry from a very good or great mix...like farther than here to the moon.
Old 20th December 2010
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
How exactly would you know? ..are you privy to the individual tracks of great mixes somehow?...no you are not because you would have to be present while it was being mixed...so the reality is that you most likely are talking about YOUR soloed kik drum...which I'm assuming from your post...sounds horrendous...which is fine...but is not indicative of what happens in great mixes.

As has been previously stated a big part of elements sitting right is arrangement and performance...which comes from producing something properly.

Also making something smaller in a mix without making it thin and ugly is a huge part of the craft...and can be achieved in many different ways...

Making room for everything with an eq is a stage that you get to, and that's great...making room for everything without carving the life outta everything is step above that.

Keep working
Yeah, whatever. Keep spouting your bull****, but while you're at it, can you tell us why any of this matters? Isn't it pretty much self-evident?

If you've never mixed a trashy kick before, your ass has not done enough mixing.
Old 20th December 2010
  #49
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Yeah, whatever. Keep spouting your bull****, but while you're at it, can you tell us why any of this matters? Isn't it pretty much self-evident?

If it were self evident then there wouldn't be those suggesting that elements that sound like crap soloed are serving the best interests of the mix.

I would suggest forgetting about making excuses as to why this and that and just learn to do it better...just a suggestion
Old 20th December 2010
  #50
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
If it were self evident then there wouldn't be those suggesting that elements that sound like crap soloed are serving the best interests of the mix.

I would suggest forgetting about making excuses as to why this and that and just learn to do it better...just a suggestion
Your advice is self-evident. The rest is not.

Otherwise there wouldn't be musicians wondering why their guitars sound different in the mix, post recording. It doesn't matter if it sounds different. The end result matters, and that is all. Whether you think individual sounds all need to be gold doesn't matter either. You're going to be overruled by results.

And for the record, Mixerman states (word-for-word) that mixing is an illusion in his newest book. It deals mostly with spatial dimensions, aural memory, and perception regarding how you create an illusion for others and yourself, but nevertheless his words do not align with yours regardless of your respect.

I don't know why you correlate this with poor results. Ironically that sounds more naive than any assertions made here.
Old 20th December 2010
  #51
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Hmm... sounds like a pretty good way to live a life if you ask me.


Gregory Scott - ubk
as the number of years i am on this planet increase....i find acceptance paramount in my life.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 20th December 2010
  #52
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixman499 View Post
As the number of years i am on this planet increase ... I find acceptance paramount in my life.
Sigh .. True ..
Old 20th December 2010
  #53
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

It occurs to me that a lot of this disagreement may come down to how you hear, specifically how much you have the ability to hear into masking and/or hear frequencies as separate entities as opposed to a melded whole.

In my experiences of hearing tracks outside of their mix, I can't recall ever being surprised by how an element sounded in solo, it always sounded as it did in the mix. My ears understand where guitars end and bass begins, how hammered the vocal tends to be, how much click is in the kick to get it to cut.

What *does* usually catch me off guard, even in my own mixes, is just how heavy the fx are when the rest of the sounds drop away. The crazy amount of reverb on a snare or vocal, the piles of delay cascading just below the surface, and the way they become subliminal in context. I can feel when they're there, but hearing them stripped of the bulk of the music still tends to make my eyebrows shoot up an inch or so.

This is especially true of 70's music which presents itself as fairly dry; those guys were absolute masters at tucking huge dense plates into mixes, making them extensions of the sound itself. The verb on Henley in Hotel California is enormous but still unobtrusive. It's humbling, really.


Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 20th December 2010
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Beyersound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
It occurs to me that a lot of this disagreement may come down to how you hear, specifically how much you have the ability to hear into masking and/or hear frequencies as separate entities as opposed to a melded whole.

In my experiences of hearing tracks outside of their mix, I can't recall ever being surprised by how an element sounded in solo, it always sounded as it did in the mix. My ears understand where guitars end and bass begins, how hammered the vocal tends to be, how much click is in the kick to get it to cut.

What *does* usually catch me off guard, even in my own mixes, is just how heavy the fx are when the rest of the sounds drop away. The crazy amount of reverb on a snare or vocal, the piles of delay cascading just below the surface, and the way they become subliminal in context. I can feel when they're there, but hearing them stripped of the bulk of the music still tends to make my eyebrows shoot up an inch or so.

This is especially true of 70's music which presents itself as fairly dry; those guys were absolute masters at tucking huge dense plates into mixes, making them extensions of the sound itself. The verb on Henley in Hotel California is enormous but still unobtrusive. It's humbling, really.


Gregory Scott - ubk
+1 here Greg, very nice post!
Old 20th December 2010
  #55
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym Music View Post
Otherwise there wouldn't be musicians wondering why their guitars sound different in the mix, post recording. It doesn't matter if it sounds different. The end result matters, and that is all. Whether you think individual sounds all need to be gold doesn't matter either. You're going to be overruled by results.

.
Perhaps you should stay on point. Nobody is suggesting the end result doesn't matter...of course it's all that matters...obvious...what you and others are suggesting is that typically elements soloed somehow sound drastically different than when sitting in the mix. My point is that if this is occurring then you need to work harder because there is some serious problems in your mix.

I give you an example..I just heard "Life's Been Good" Joe Walsh...on the way home tonight...what a great sounding mix..here's the thing ...there is a drum intro...kik alone...snare alone...and they sound pretty damn great and don't change when the guitars kick in...which also sound killer and don't step on the drums...at all...nor the vocal when it kicks in...and guess what...the bass sits in it's perfect spot as well..and the mix survives crazy radio multibanding quite well

So here we have four elements in this song which get basically soloed...the kick...the snare...the guitar riff...and tom hits....all sound absolutely fantastic on there own AND in the mix...so please stop with this notion of compromising the sound on an individual track for the greater good...perhaps you should be looking at it from the angle that if you are compromising a part to fit, perhaps that part needs to go away.
Old 20th December 2010
  #56
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedsMoreFuzz View Post
very true ------ it's really big-sounding kick/bass -- the solo'd reality could well be very different! As you say, some solo'd kick sounds are pretty "surprising", to say the least...


***



Oh yeah and I forgot to say earlier --mattsearles --- your reply was a very good read---- it's interesting hearing someone's take on things who comes from a more visual background



That's the principle that Waves Audio used on MAXXBASS, isn't it? To create an illusion of having more bass...
Old 20th December 2010
  #57
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ark View Post
Next time you play through an amp, set the eqs how you like, then point the speaker directly at your ears. That is what your fav tone actually sounds like
I knew that :P.

I read that Butch Vig did this with the noise of the amp, placing the ear and then comparing the sound in the mixing room.
Old 20th December 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 
NeedsMoreFuzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post
That's the principle that Waves Audio used on MAXXBASS, isn't it? To create an illusion of having more bass...
Kinda, yeah --- the Maxxbass, and RBass adds specific harmonics above the fundamental, which will trick your brain into thinking it's hearing more bass than it actually is -- (works on the principle that if your brain hears a group of related harmonics, it will "reconstruct" the fundamental, even if it's entirely absent). It can be useful, but just remember that while you may be shifting some energy out of the very low end, you will be adding it further up the spectrum, especially in the low mids, where things can get muddy very quickly. I've found you can also get some unpleasant artifacts from the processing sometimes, so you have to be quite light-handed with it's use.

Still, they can def be useful tools.
Old 20th December 2010
  #59
Deleted User
Guest
How guitars sound in the mix???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound
There was a lot of processing to that Rockman sound through the SSL and outboard on that record, the result was very unlike a stock one. I rather liked the way the finished product sounded. You know, there were at least three songs on that record done through amps. See if you can guess which ones. Don't worry, they used real amps on that tour!
Was it Animal, Gods of War and Don't Shoot Shotgun?
Old 20th December 2010
  #60
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnow View Post
Perhaps you should stay on point. Nobody is suggesting the end result doesn't matter...of course it's all that matters...obvious...what you and others are suggesting is that typically elements soloed somehow sound drastically different than when sitting in the mix. My point is that if this is occurring then you need to work harder because there is some serious problems in your mix.

I give you an example..I just heard "Life's Been Good" Joe Walsh...on the way home tonight...what a great sounding mix..here's the thing ...there is a drum intro...kik alone...snare alone...and they sound pretty damn great and don't change when the guitars kick in...which also sound killer and don't step on the drums...at all...nor the vocal when it kicks in...and guess what...the bass sits in it's perfect spot as well..and the mix survives crazy radio multibanding quite well

So here we have four elements in this song which get basically soloed...the kick...the snare...the guitar riff...and tom hits....all sound absolutely fantastic on there own AND in the mix...so please stop with this notion of compromising the sound on an individual track for the greater good...perhaps you should be looking at it from the angle that if you are compromising a part to fit, perhaps that part needs to go away.
But as I'm sure you know, there's plenty of tracks where this happens, but because of mults etc, as soon as the track kicks in, the sound can change.

Good example is the Andy Wallace/Chris Sheldon style of mixing. Having worked with Chris on many occasions, he (when mixing on an SSL) will have mults of the various parts - particularly drums - so that if there's more poke needed in the chorus, the "attack snare" will come up...if there's less weight needed, the "fat kick" will come down. The solo'd drum won't necessarily sound the same as the kick in the mix. Whilst I'm not saying the Joe Walsh track is like that (it possibly pre-dates automated consoles, I don't know), the criteria you give won't necessarily work for all tracks you listen to.

Likewise - you're totally ignoring styles of music. Joe Walsh - hardly Biffy Clyro is he? hardly has the layers of modern pop. If every synth on a modern pop record was as full as the initial preset most come from, it certainly wouldn't make a good mix.

In a way, I think both you and NMFuzz are right - you're just talking about different genres. I'd agree that if you can't mix a seventies sounding track where the parts sound good individually, there's something wrong - but invariably that will show up in the final mix because there's less going on. Likewise if you think you can mix a wall of guitars epic whilst still having everything rich, full bandwidth and full, I think there's something wrong there too. From his previous posts, UBK is more of a retro sort of guy I think so there's no contradiction there. If you can point me to a modern rock mix where the stems sound as huge as the final mix, I'll be impressed (and solo sections don't count here, because they've almost certainly been mult'd and processed separately).

At the end of the day though, there's no competition or prizes to be won if you make your stems sound as good as your final mix. I've worked with some of the UK's best mixers in multiple genres - NONE of them have the same methods exactly, and all of them produced great mixes. Who cares about anything other than the end result? to say someone's only at a certain stage of their journey because they approach things differently to you. I've heard guys earning thousands per mix who's stems don't sound amazing, but the final mixes do.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
evilrocker / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
2
ohmicide / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
22
Noise Commander / High end
31
FeatheredSerpent / So much gear, so little time
26
Long_Shaded_Eye / So much gear, so little time
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump