The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akg c98 Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Akg c98

Anyone ever used these in a recording situation? It looks like they were intended for dictation and room analysis. They are omnis but they have a stereo 1/8" jack. I have plugged into my preamp, through the DI, as well as with an XLR adapter (with and without phantom) but I'm getting nothing.

Thx

Hmmm....I just plugged into my Yamaha Pocketrak and it worked great. Not what I want to use it for though :(

Last edited by musical5; 18th December 2010 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

These sound great! Now if I can only make it play nice in the studio.

Old 18th December 2010
Are you putting the XLR adapter directly on the 1/8" jack or have you got any more cabling/DIs/anything in between?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I was going from the 1/8" stereo, to a 1/4" stereo adapter. Than I was going direct to DI or to an female XLR adapter.
Old 18th December 2010
My assumption then would be that it's a problem with one of your adapters. Am I right in thinking that the Yamaha Pocketrack has a 1/8" mic input?

Don't do it through the DI, try and get a suitable 1/8" to XLR adapter or get an XLR male connector and chop off the minijack on the mic, replace it making sure you follow AKG's wiring specification and you should be dandy heh
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I tested all my adapters, and they are working right. I may just need a mono 1/4" female adapter. We'll see.
Old 18th December 2010
Is the plug on the mic mono or stereo? A stereo plug will mean a balanced connection. I don't know why connecting an unbalanced connection to a balanced one in an XLR would cause problems unless the positive and negative poles were touching causing perfect phase cancellation...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

The plug on the mic is stereo. I have tried a mono and stereo 1/4" adapter....but that than has to plug into a female XLR adapter. Will Phantom power not transfer through the adapters? Is my stupid Yamaha CX providing some sort of pseudo phantom power?

The annoying thing is there is no spec sheet for the mics. They came bundled with a Lexicon surround processor/ room correction unit. The 4 mics could be bought seperately for $800.

Last edited by musical5; 19th December 2010 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 19th December 2010
It should transfer. There will be problems on unbalanced jacks but there shouldn't be on balanced, what I was thinking is that if the adapter is bad (maybe it works with other things but not this) or if something was unbalanced then everything the mic produces will be cancelled out by the alternate phase.

If I were in your shoes I'd solder an XLR Male jack onto the mic's cable (be VERY quick and if you can, detach the mic capsule before you solder as applying heat for too long can damage it). If you have a variable temperature soldering iron, use it.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
It should transfer. There will be problems on unbalanced jacks but there shouldn't be on balanced, what I was thinking is that if the adapter is bad (maybe it works with other things but not this) or if something was unbalanced then everything the mic produces will be cancelled out by the alternate phase.
I have many of the needed adapters (just picked up the mono one) None of them are giving me a signal through my Phoenix Audio Pre.
Old 19th December 2010
In that case I'd definitely solder on an XLR directly.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

But I dont know how the mic is wired.....Thoughts?
Old 19th December 2010
It should have some obvious colour coding inside like a red wire for hot, black for cold and a bare cable for ground.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry about my ignorance but, there will be 2 sets of wires since its a stereo jack....right?
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
Sorry about my ignorance but, there will be 2 sets of wires since its a stereo jack....right?
The jack is TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve). There will be three wires inside the insulation. Tip is hot, ring is cold, sleeve is ground. The grounding wire might be a sleeve around the other two wires or it could be just a normal pice of wire but it probably won't have any insulation on it.
Old 15th February 2017
Here for the gear

Found this information while trying to list two of these:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?id=1150&fl=4

Technical Specs
AKG Conference Microphones
Type: Pre-polarised stereo-condenser microphones
Polar pattern: Omnidirectional
Frequency range: 20 - 15.000 Hz
Sensitivity: 34 mV/Pa (-29 dBV re 1V/Pa)
Impedance: < 600 ohms
Power requirement: 1,5 - 10 V DC
Connector: 3,5 mm stereo phono jack
Cable length: 2 x 2,5 m
Size: Dia. 65 mm x 13 mm Ø
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search