The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EQing 101 : resonance peaks Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

EQing 101 : resonance peaks

hi

since i saw that video of mr Massenburg working i keep doing all the time what he's doing here :

search for the peaks, and soften them with a good plugin EQ (ddmf IIEQ). then, "unflatten" things in a pleasant way.

this method is great to make a mix less agressive / confusing. but it seems to me that too much cleaning makes the mix sound too clean, and not fat enough for rock / electronica.

the basic way to get more dirtiness / harmonics is to use overdrive or distortion. but distortion plugins also add mud and confusion... etc

pro mixers : how do you deal with these resonance peaks ?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
hi

since i saw that video of mr Massenburg working i keep doing all the time what he's doing here :

search for the peaks, and soften them with a good plugin EQ (ddmf IIEQ). then, "unflatten" things in a pleasant way.

this method is great to make a mix less agressive / confusing. but it seems to me that too much cleaning makes the mix sound too clean, and not fat enough for rock / electronica.

the basic way to get more dirtiness / harmonics is to use overdrive or distortion. but distortion plugins also add mud and confusion... etc

Dynamic Eqs are the ticket here. Brainworx, Hofa IQ EQ or even the Powercore Dnyamic EQ's work pretty well for getting rid of resonances that only stick out sometimes. On heavier guitars it's pretty common to remove resonances almost to the point of comb-filtering but if you can get a sound without it's of course better.

DW
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict
When I pull up a track, the first question I ask myself is, "What's wrong with this sound?" The first thing I'm looking for is whether or not there is something objectionable in the frequency content. After I take care of the objectionable stuff I move on to what is "lacking" in the sound.

Take a saturated guitar track...Chances are that there is some sort of mid/upper-mid "gak" that needs to be dealt with to make the guitars smooth. I'll setup a sharp Q, 10-15db boost at say 2k and start sweeping just like GM. You'll know when you hit the nastiness because it will jump out at you (might even hurt a bit). Pull that down to say -6db, mute the track for a few seconds, and then unmute. Listen. Then bypass/engage that EQ cut you just dialed in. Compare it. Make notes. Maybe it's too much of a cut, maybe it's not enough. Adjust it in 3db increments and then maybe 1.5db increments until you get it "right." Don't obsess though.

On that piano piece in the GM video...I agree with his frequency choices...They really locked in on the nasties in the piano. I felt the 2k'ish cut was a little extreme though. No doubt about it though...It definitely made that vocal sit better and that is arguably the most important thing to do.

I don't have much experience with dynamic EQ's but I can definitely see where they'd be useful on particularly problematic tracks.

The key is...Don't destroy the "character" of the tracks, yet make room for the most important elements.
Old 18th December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Also, it can be helpful to avoid eq'ing like this in "solo" mode. Try to keep another prominent part playing as well (such as vox) in order to keep perspective.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

EQing 101 : resonance peaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall
On that piano piece in the GM video...I agree with his frequency choices...They really locked in on the nasties in the piano. I felt the 2k'ish cut was a little extreme though. No doubt about it though...It definitely made that vocal sit better and that is arguably the most important thing to do.
Funny, i felt the same about the piano eq in solo. But it's a master at work anticipating the next step.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
If they bother me in the mix, I'll notch them and sometimes the octave above or below. Smaller cuts, more harmonics... Keeps the tone robust.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search