The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Deposits & no-show practice.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Deposits & no-show practice.

As a rule of thumb, I ask for a deposit equal to half of the estimated studio time needed. What I'm wondering is, when a client doesn't show, how long do you typically wait before you go home? I usually wait an hour and then call it, but wonder if I should stick around for the time paid for.

What do you guys do?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
In my opinion if there is a non refundable deposit the client has paid for that time. Therefore you should allocate that time to the client, even if not there.

If they show up before that time is expended they should be able to work the booked time, as long as they understand they have to pay for the whole time booked.

Of course if its a very good client and it is not a recurring problem, you might want to be a bit lenient. But to be honest....a truely good client would understand the value of your time.

That said....there are a lot less truly good clients these days.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

i usually stick around all day and work away on some editing or mixes i need to catch up on. its work so i'd be there either way.

i will usually give the client 2/3 hours before ringing them. we all know musicians work on a differant time scale to the rest of the world heh
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
In my opinion if there is a non refundable deposit the client has paid for that time. Therefore you should allocate that time to the client, even if not there.

If they show up before that time is expended they should be able to work the booked time, as long as they understand they have to pay for the whole time booked.

Of course if its a very good client and it is not a recurring problem, you might want to be a bit lenient. But to be honest....a truely good client would understand the value of your time.

That said....there are a lot less truly good clients these days.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The engineer should be there for the full time paid for, but it just seems disrespectful without a call or anything. Granted, there are circumstances where it's warented. Emergencies, for example, do happen and that's fine. It's the ones where you know they just kept sleeping after a long night of drinking or just plain forgot that bother me.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
we all know musicians work on a differant time scale to the rest of the world heh
Dont I know it! It's 3 am here and I'm just about to start writing.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hang around and do some catch up work, if not clean up or pick up a guitar and write or just jam. Either way, you need to hang around for at least the time they payed for.

I would also ring them up after 30 minutes and see what the deal is. Just call them and make sure everything is OK so even if another band member arrives, at least you`re on the ball.

I love rehearsing so I would think if a band is not showing up close to on time, they are most likely not showing.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Stay for as much time as the deposit covers. They paid for it. You can do catchup work, or watch TV.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Write a hit song, give them 10%.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I stick around and fix/optimize things.

Restring guitars, repair headphones/cables, put new gear in patchbay, organize adapters, etc generally try to make my life easier for the next gig.

There is always something to do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search