The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite live show/concert that you have ever seen/heard Plugin Bundles
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Your favorite live show/concert that you have ever seen/heard

I've seen a lot of live shows, mostly metal like Inflames, Ozzy, BLS, COB, but one of them sticks out to me.

It was Tom Cochrane at the Cloverdale Amphitheatre, which is an outdoor venue. It was a free concert for Canada day, and there were about 100,000 people there as documented in the news. I was dead centre, about 40 feet away from the stage. And it had just turned night time while some opening acts were playing. When Tom Cochrane got on the stage everyone went nuts with complete respect for the amazing artist.

I think they opened with a newer song like "the big leagues". About halfway through, they started playing some really classic stuff. **** that seemed as if it was written by gods. Their hits. Man! This is when it started getting ****ing damn good! Amazingly good! Spectacular! They would break off into long instrumentals, jamming, creating, all in perfect time, and then with slide guitar solos, while the smoke machines and laser beams shot across the night sky. They were so tight, they were beyond tight. Beyond the zone. I could feel that everyone around me was right into it, and there was just this magical energy that connected everybody watching and the band playing. Something that I have felt at no other concert. I wasn't just getting goosebumps, but it felt like my soul was getting quenched with ****ing awesome energy, and everyone was getting it too. No I wasn't on acid, lol. It was that good!

The acoustics were beyond amazing, it was outdoor, the sound was perfect.

I have seen a lot of concerts, and nothing has ever come even close to that experience.

Has anyone one else experience something similar.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I saw most all the big rock bands and actually fell asleep at Fleetwood Mac, Eagels, Clapton, Aerosmith, Stones, Who (sans Moon), Van Halen, Velvet Revolver, and others. Anyway, the very best was Queen in '76, and '77. Better than them was Poco in 1970. And the very top was Peter, Paul & Mary in '65.
Old 18th December 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Sukhishvili, the Georgian National Ballet, in 2007. One of the very best shows in the world, unbelievable dancers and hypnotizing music.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

For various reasons

James Carr- I saw him right before he died. IMO the greatest r&b singer ever, and the voice that came out of that little old beat up looking dude is the greatest voice I have ever heard come out of a human in person.

Pharoah Sanders- not the best jazz show I've seen seen, not even near the top, BUT, the tone out of that tenor of his is the best sounding sax I have ever heard in person.

Sonny Sharrock- terrible show with Yanni on keyboards, but to be able to see one of my heroes and having him hang out with me and talk for a half hour was so generous.

Yngvie Malmsteen- about 1985 for his first tour. after the second song the singer left the stage and Yngvie just did the only thing he was good for -masturbating on the guitar. I was about 15 and it was jaw dropping, he was so brilliant as a guitar ******. I saw him the next year opening for ac/dc and it was HORRIBLE. God he sucks, and I'll take Uli Jon Roth anyday in a metal guitar pissing contest, but Yngvie brought it that night.

Don Caballero- the tour for What Burns. Seeing those guys pull that off live was such an eye opener, and even though Damon was a jerk and Ian Williams was about as humble as the above mentioned Yngvie, they were the heavyweight champions, and in a world that actually rewarded brilliance, they should have been playing a stadium.

Shellac- Ive seen them numerous times. They are the best band in the land. I've seen them play in some crappy sounding venues and they still sounded like the f'ing records.

Trouble - opening for Motorhead in like '84. Just had to be there. They were everything a metal band should be. It was like Spinal Tap but real.

Celtic Frost - around '86. i feel blessed that I could see this band that so few saw when they were the deity that they were. they were an hour an half late and the place nearly rioted. They played for 35 minutes and quit and left. People were pissed. Didnt matter. They were mighty!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

If I could just go with the quality of mesmerising ... A few that come to mind are ..

Grizzly Bear (2010), Sigur Ros (2007), Radiohead (2006), Jesus Lizard (1998), Strapping Young Lad (1999), Gil Scott Heron (2005), Lonnie Liston Smith (1996), Mark Murphy (1998), Ahmad Jamaal (2006), Pharoah Sanders (2008) ...

The Birthday Party (1984) playing to 8 coal miners .. ACDC (1974 .. I was 10),

Iggy & The Stooges at Big Day Out (1994 after a hiatus) .. Sonic Youth were visibly distressed at having to follow them ..

In all cases .. I guess you had to be there ...
Old 18th December 2010
RiF
Lives for gear

Destruction (1986)
Rammstein (1995. Their first headline tour, nobody knew who they were and that they'll brrrring flamethrrrrowserrrrs... JAAA!)
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Best show - U2 Zoo TV first leg, Target Center Minneapolis, March '92

Best sound - Einsturzende Neubauten, Irving Plaza NYC, '06 or '07
Old 18th December 2010
Spiritualized in 2003. I was 16. They blew my mind. They toured with this amazing light show, and I was right in front of the stage. Jason Pierce sat in a chair on the side of stage, playing guitar and singing, and his presence was so powerful. Great songs, great band, pulling off intricate recordings with ease.

In terms of just pure fun, any time I've ever seen Guided by Voices. It's a party.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

in jazz it was

the quaker city jazz fest..acts in 1 day were

weather report

jazz messengers with george benson, sonny stitt,art blakey and dizzy

followed by miles davis

and the show closed with maynard ferguson

in rock

it was pink floyd doing meddle and ummagumma and then dark side which wasn't released yet [in a venue where they couldn't fill 10,000 seats]

which was also the first and last time i saw pink floyd because they went "pop" after that

for outdoor rock concert there were too many great ones

but moby, hole and sonic youth at lolipolloza was up there with live aid philadelphia
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Orange Show Stadium in So, Cal.

Brownsville Station
Peter Frampton - virtually unknown at this time btw. But not for long.
Lynard Skynard - That smell was everywhere at the time.
Black Sabbath
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post

Orange Show Stadium in So, Cal.

Brownsville Station
Peter Frampton - virtually unknown at this time btw. But not for long.
Lynard Skynard - That smell was everywhere at the time.
Black Sabbath
was it still "framton's camel" then?

i saw that band with black sabbath and alice cooper like a year or 2 before that
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

it's hard to decide, but some memorable sets were

-Toots & The Maytals in a 3 hour set on a french festival arround 2000 (to long ago to remember all details) where they played with a full horn section and band (not the keyboard stuff to today)
-Nirvana in a 100 man capacity club called the N9 in Eeklo, Belgium in 1991 (just before Nevermind came out)
-Lee Perry feat The Congo's & Max Romeo at 'The Vooruit (1200ppl concert hall) for a 3h birthday set on his 75th birthday. The band was probally half of the Upsetters (wich is rare), enforced with many other reggae legends.
-'Orchestre Poly-Ritmo de Cotonou' in Zuiderpershuis (500ppl) in Antwerp in september 2009. The band is a 70's polyritmo afrobeat and Highlife band from Cotonou (Benin, Africa). Now they are a bit forgotten, but they were almost as popular in the 70's in west africa as Fela Kuti and his Africa 70 band. Recently some of their old recordings are re-released on the 'Analog Africa' label

and a few weeks ago, i also saw a almost perfect concert of Linval Thompson at the same 'Vooruit' venue (but a different hall in the building) were i saw Lee Perry, He were backed by a french band (no jamaicans) but he did control the band and let them play like he wanted.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Jimi Hendrix Live at the Washington Hilton International Ballroom

YES debut tour for The YES Album Opening for Jethro Tull debut
Aqualung tour Alexandria Roller Rink

The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart opening for Janis Joplin
Alexandria roller Rink

Alice Cooper Annandale Campus Northern Va Community College
Cafeteria :-)

George Harrison and Friends concert for Bangladesh
Madison Square Garden both shows!

Stones at RFK with Stevie Wonder
Aerosmith at RFK

A very drunk Faces at Shady Grove
The band followed my '67 Datsun Roadster
to Dulles Airport after the show :-)
Boy those guys could party!

Wings at Cap Center
Who at Cap Center
Elton John Cap Center
Pink Floyd Cap Center

McCartney Live Fed Ex Field
Old 18th December 2010
lol Sigma.
Pink Floyd went "pop" after Meddle?
I think its more true that Pink Floyd became popular after Meddle.

anyways.

I don't know if I can see another concert after seeing Roger Waters perform The Wall Live this year.

Most visually stunning and arresting thing I've ever seen and heard.
The surround sound doesn't hurt either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGFqtqp92_Q

Last edited by willylumplumps; 18th December 2010 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: is apparently inept at posting videos.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Destruction (1986)
Rammstein (1995. Their first headline tour, nobody knew who they were and that they'll brrrring flamethrrrrowserrrrs... JAAA!)
LOL! That would have been great to see. They love their fire. i read what they used for the fire and it is fairly safe. Looks dangerous as hell.

I saw Kraftwerk live about 5 years ago before Florian left. Staggering and amazing. They even had a sound system like quad/surround where speakers were in the back. It was incredible.

One of the worst was Depche Mode about 10+ years ago. They were great but the screaming girls ruined it. The girls were deafening
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ozzy's first Blzzard of Ozz tour with the original lineup of Motorhead as the opening act was great. It was in a small arena in Calgary, and i have never seen a performer before or since have more power over an audience. It was stunning. Ozzy was great. And I feel very lucky to have seen Randy Rhoads. Motorhead was amazing as well and I would say both bands only played about 45 minutes. Sent us away wanting more.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

out of the 100's of shows ive seen, 2 come to mind...

1. after seeing a recording of 'mountain stage'(blah), i stopped by a little diy punk show in the english building at our local college. = english classroom, desks pushed to the corner, this band named 'the spectacle' from sweden playing to a room of 20 ppl,was ****ing amazing.. blew my mind, heavy, tight fantastic!

2. 'Tragedy' at the beachland ballroom in cleveland... 100 hardcore fans bouncing off the walls, and screaming the words along.. super high energy & also ****ing amazing.

i cant believe people list any stadium shows as their best... you need to get out more
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Just last spring I saw Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussian and Edgar Meyer in a small hall on Long Island. One of the most exhilarating and uplifting musical experiences ever. A fantastic way to be reminded once again that all recording pales in the face of a great live performance.

Unarguably three of the finest musicians on the planet, but there was no "Supergroup" attitude, just wonderful music. It was a carefully crafted show that left you feeling like you were in their living room. It was intellectually challenging music that never lacked Heart, even for a moment.

The only show that might have equaled that happened many moons ago when I saw the original Tony Williams Lifetime with John McLaughlin, Larry Young and Jack Bruce at a small club in Manhattan. That was during a snowstorm and there were so few people there that the entire audience fit in the front row.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Not sure it was the best concert I've ever seen (Peter Gabriel comes to mind) but my favorite concert memory was seeing the Allman Brothers on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City in 1971. They were virtually unknown up north, but I was from Florida and I dragged a bunch of my northern friends to see them. There were maybe 50 people in the audience, and the band only played two 45-minute sets, but it was magic. Probably not so much from their point of view though...
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

St.vincent...smallclub...2009...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I have seen many great shows . . but what comes to mind at this moment are . .

James Brown (60s)
The Who (around Who's Next) . . . one the best shows of all
Hendrix
Miles Davis (mid 70s)
McCoy Tyner / Elvin Jones (75ish) was intense!! (I was 6 feet away from Tyner and was absolutely speechless)

added . .
Pink Floyd

and yes Mike . .
Weather Report was great! I also saw Return to Forever!

I tour managed a lot of great acts over the years as well . . . and was floored nightly. Derringer in particular may not have been the best show, as far as the band . . . but each night I would be absolutely stunned anyone could be so damn good on their instrument as he was. He could do things that were so tasteful and seemingly effortless. He never got / gets the respect he deserves.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ennio Morricone at the Royalo Albert Hall, London on his 80th birthday about 7 or 8 years ago. Yes, he played all the spaghetti western stuff, all the other film stuff, his own stuff and weird avant garde stuff as well. Full orchestra. The Albert Hall. A living legend.

Priceless. A great memory..........
Old 19th December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Morrissey - Dallas early 90s

Radiohead - Belgium 2003

Beastie Boys - Belgium 1998

Johnny Marr - Amsterdam 2003

Breakestra - Amsterdam 2009

Louis CK - Ft Worth 2010

Air - London 2002

Roots - Belgium 2003

Coathangers - Dallas 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

All this brings good memorys! I have to refresh my weeded memory but goes something like this...

- Ozzy and Blizzard of Oz tour with Randy, Sarzo and Tommy. Somewhere in Florida. Can´t remember the opening act. Tommy did a drum solo with his hands and Randy playing his black poka dot flying V, it was all awsome! Circa 80´s.

- Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush. If I remeber correctly, he was opening for Aerosmith. I think it was the "Rocks" tour. Went with my older sister, I was 16 I think. Marino was great. Some arena in Miami Florida, circa 80´s.

- AC/DC with the Powerage tour opening for Saxon. Gusmen Hall, Miami FL. Circa 80´s I think.

- The Ramones with The Runaways as opening act. Gusmen Hall, Miami FL. Same era as above. This was my first concert ever, again with my sister. I think I was around 15. I also remember there was only about 50 people there, sound was blasting and there was this old lady sat in the front rows! Can´t forget your first concert!

Recent concerts... Well, I think I get crazyer with age!

- Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine. Last year in a small club in Barcelona, Spain. Had a blast, drained in sweat dancing my ass off! Lot of fun, the guy is something else, very authentic IMHO. Three Strikes buddy, Three Strikes!

- Toy Dolls, last year. La Mirona, Girona Spain. Yeap, here we go again jumping! Had to deep wash my shoes after that one! Great show, everybody was jumping! The only bad part was getting to the bathroom´s after so much beer, packed as hell!

- Living Color, two years ago. La Mirona, Girona Spain. I really wanted to see Living Color! Had fun, Veron is awsome!

- Primus, Brown Album tour (I think). Some years ago. Sala Bikini, Barcelona Spain. Well, what can I say about Primus, go see them!

- Janes Addiction, some years ago. Sala Bikini, Barcelona Spain. Awsome show too! I stayed put on that one! Magical show!

I used to go to shows to see how good they played and things like that. Which is cool and still do sometimes, but now days I go to shows to have fun! If I wanna see good players, not that the others arnt, I go see folks like Chick Corea. Still, all these concerts bring great memorys!

Best,

Mike
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Daft Punk, London Astoria 1997

i went not expecting anything. they absolutely tore the roof off, i had no idea that electronic music could work like that. simple, brutal, primal, weird, noisy, throbbing, ecstatic.
Old 19th December 2010
Early Eurythmics gig - either that or the Tom Robinson Band circa 1980.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear
Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young (with the Beach Boys opening) at Mile High Stadium in 1974 is probably my best memory, although it would be a much more pleasant memory if it didn't include my ex-wife accompanying me.

Queen in the mid-70's was amazing, especially "Bohemian Rhapsody". Unbelievable what Brian May could do live with no pre-recorded tracks, no looper pedal, or any of the other trickery that's become so common since then.

James Taylor in '71. This man's music, more than anything else, is why I converted from an electric guitar playin' rock and roll kid to an acoustic based singer songwriter. A legend in his prime, what more can I say?

Jackson Browne in '78. My all-time favorite singer/songwriter. Opening act was Karla Bonoff. The memory is even sweeter because I was accompanied by my current wife. It was our first concert together.

In more recent years, last January we went down to Butler University for the "3 Girls and Their Buddy" tour stop. Buddy Miller (my hero),Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin (the finest songwriter in the world in my opinion), and Shawn Colvin. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself when I think about witnessing that much talent united on one stage.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyD View Post
I've seen a lot of live shows, mostly metal like Inflames, Ozzy, BLS, COB, but one of them sticks out to me.

It was Tom Cochrane at the Cloverdale Amphitheatre, which is an outdoor venue. It was a free concert for Canada day, and there were about 100,000 people there as documented in the news. I was dead centre, about 40 feet away from the stage. And it had just turned night time while some opening acts were playing. When Tom Cochrane got on the stage everyone went nuts with complete respect for the amazing artist.

I think they opened with a newer song like "the big leagues". About halfway through, they started playing some really classic stuff. **** that seemed as if it was written by gods. Their hits. Man! This is when it started getting ****ing damn good! Amazingly good! Spectacular! They would break off into long instrumentals, jamming, creating, all in perfect time, and then with slide guitar solos, while the smoke machines and laser beams shot across the night sky. They were so tight, they were beyond tight. Beyond the zone. I could feel that everyone around me was right into it, and there was just this magical energy that connected everybody watching and the band playing. Something that I have felt at no other concert. I wasn't just getting goosebumps, but it felt like my soul was getting quenched with ****ing awesome energy, and everyone was getting it too. No I wasn't on acid, lol. It was that good!

The acoustics were beyond amazing, it was outdoor, the sound was perfect.

I have seen a lot of concerts, and nothing has ever come even close to that experience.

Has anyone one else experience something similar.
Have always loved Tom, since the Red Rider days. Wish I had seen that show. It is ironic that my 4 year old son heard and liked the Rascal Flatts version of "Life Is A Highway" in the Cars movie, so one day I played him the real Tom version and the rest of "Mad Mad World", and it is now his favorite CD! He sings along wonderfully to most of the songs, especially "Life", Mad Mad World, No Regrets, and Sinking Like A Sunset. Who says all the kids these days like crappy music?
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
I tour managed a lot of great acts over the years as well . . . and was floored nightly. Derringer in particular may not have been the best show, as far as the band . . . but each night I would be absolutely stunned anyone could be so damn good on their instrument as he was. He could do things that were so tasteful and seemingly effortless. He never got / gets the respect he deserves.
+100000000000! He got that respect from me, ever since about 1971 or 72. One of the best ever, saw him in the "Derringer" incarnation in about 77', one of the best shows ever. Saw him again in the nineties, he was still amazing. There was a reason he played on all those Steely Dan records ya know!

I've got to add one. 1987 Texxas Jam at the Cotton Bowl. I was there mixing Tesla, and saw an amazing couple of acts return from the dead there. It was one of Aerosmith's first major shows since their release and rebirth on "Permanent Vacation". They were on fire from the intro of "Heart's Done Time", it was all a beautiful blur after that. Earlier that day I met and spoke with Brad Delp up on the ramp (their bass player grew up with one of my band members), he was a truly humble and nice person. I had always heard that Boston was not good live, but they were incredible that day, and they sounded great. Brad was effortless with those notes, full of energy, and his pitch was awesome. Gary Pihl gave Tom Scholz that kick in ass that he needed live. Wasn't interested in Whitesnake or Poison.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young (with the Beach Boys opening) at Mile High Stadium in 1974 is probably my best memory, although it would be a much more pleasant memory if it didn't include my ex-wife accompanying me.

Queen in the mid-70's was amazing, especially "Bohemian Rhapsody". Unbelievable what Brian May could do live with no pre-recorded tracks, no looper pedal, or any of the other trickery that's become so common since then.

James Taylor in '71. This man's music, more than anything else, is why I converted from an electric guitar playin' rock and roll kid to an acoustic based singer songwriter. A legend in his prime, what more can I say?

Jackson Browne in '78. My all-time favorite singer/songwriter. Opening act was Karla Bonoff. The memory is even sweeter because I was accompanied by my current wife. It was our first concert together.

In more recent years, last January we went down to Butler University for the "3 Girls and Their Buddy" tour stop. Buddy Miller (my hero),Emmylou Harris, Patty Griffin (the finest songwriter in the world in my opinion), and Shawn Colvin. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself when I think about witnessing that much talent united on one stage.
Man this is a good thread! Love Shawn, and Patty is quite possibly the most all-around talented singer in the world as well. Nice to hear these things you guys!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search