The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite live show/concert that you have ever seen/heard Plugin Bundles
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
was it still "framton's camel" then?

i saw that band with black sabbath and alice cooper like a year or 2 before that
Comes Alive was recorded on that tour.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Jimi Hendrix Live at the Washington Hilton International Ballroom

YES debut tour for The YES Album Opening for Jethro Tull debut
Aqualung tour Alexandria Roller Rink

The Jeff Beck Group with Rod Stewart opening for Janis Joplin
Alexandria roller Rink

Alice Cooper Annandale Campus Northern Va Community College
Cafeteria :-)

George Harrison and Friends concert for Bangladesh
Madison Square Garden both shows!

Stones at RFK with Stevie Wonder
Aerosmith at RFK

A very drunk Faces at Shady Grove
The band followed my '67 Datsun Roadster
to Dulles Airport after the show :-)
Boy those guys could party!

Wings at Cap Center
Who at Cap Center
Elton John Cap Center
Pink Floyd Cap Center

McCartney Live Fed Ex Field
Yes' debut was with Tull..?

i saw them open for Emerson Lake and Palmer during the Tarkus album and they were doing the Yes album
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Never was a big fan of the music, but Dead shows were always quite a scene. I liked the way they got the lights going synced to the drums for the drums in space part... I've always assumed they had midi triggers for the lights there... lots of good stuff.

I've seen Santana a few times... His show at the first woodstock reunion (94) was quite a thing to behold. I could swear days of rain went away, the clouds opened up, and the sky turned orange and red just to highlight what an awesome performance he put on.

Overall, though, I prefer whatever small outdoor festival has some unknowns playing their hearts out on a nice sunny day. Frisbee's, picnics, cold beer... that's the life.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Rory Gallagher March 1991 - Marquee New York - last show on American soil and last show with his longtime band.

Rory Gallagher - 1978 Park West Chicago.

Rory Gallagher - 1979 L.A. Ca. At the top of his game then.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynyrd View Post
Ozzy's first Blzzard of Ozz tour with the original lineup of Motorhead as the opening act was great. It was in a small arena in Calgary, and i have never seen a performer before or since have more power over an audience. It was stunning. Ozzy was great. And I feel very lucky to have seen Randy Rhoads. Motorhead was amazing as well and I would say both bands only played about 45 minutes. Sent us away wanting more.
Back then (1981) I wasn't particularly a fan of Ozzy (I was a Punk/New Wave guy at the time) but a friend dragged me to see him in Louisville. I had never heard of Randy Rhoads; in fact it didn't register to me that I had had the good fortune to see him live until several years after he died. Unfortunately, I don't recall much of the show, now 30 years later, but I DO recall like you mentioned that it seemed a bit short. Also, I dimly recall Motorhead, and my thought at the times was that they were dreadful! But I wish I'd been more in tune to the Randy aspect; maybe I'd remember it better
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh, so many shows to recall... but as per the OP I'll cite the ONE that really stands out after all these years:

Ted Nugent in the Baltimore area, at the arena the Bullets used to play in, around 1976-77 or so. Ted was never my cup of tea, but man, what a concert. People were passing joints around freely -- my first usage -- and I'm sure that had something to do with the way i remember the show.

There were 3 or 4 bands that afternoon; Blackfoot for sure, an I want to say EARLY Scorpions, and another band I don't recall.

The highpoint of the concert was when Ted went into a big extended solo, I believe on the "Song of the White Buffalo" ... as he got more and more frenzied in this solo, the band one by one dropped out and left the stage, leaving just Ted jamming. He eventually got his guitar feeding back insanely, and then put it on a guitar stand and left the stage, leaving just his guitar with a single spotlight on it, droning and feeding back in an insane, monstrous way (must have been using some sort of sample and hold effect or something). For about 10 minutes, it was just his guitar in a spotlight, droning and ringing and roaring. The crowd loved it, cheering wildly the whole time.

The WORST concert I ever saw was by far the original lineup of Boston, University of Illinois Assembly Hall in about 1979 (after the second album came out). Apparently Boston was STRICTLY a studio band, because live they were HORRIBLE -- sloppy, band sound... even the wonderful Bradley Delp couldn't save it

Great thread
Old 19th December 2010
Vum
Lives for gear

Quote:
Morrissey - Dallas early 90s

Radiohead - Belgium 2003

Beastie Boys - Belgium 1998

Johnny Marr - Amsterdam 2003

Breakestra - Amsterdam 2009

Louis CK - Ft Worth 2010

Air - London 2002

Roots - Belgium 2003

Coathangers - Dallas 2010

Pavement - Austin 2010

My generation's Beatles at our Shea Stadium. Perfect.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Daft Punk's Alive 2007 tour was pretty spectacular IMO
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Boston - 1977 The Spectrum Phila, PA
My first concert, right at the front of the stage, wiping the spit from Brad Delps high notes from my face, that gold mic. The wailing guitars. The studio album played live.

U2 - 1981 The Rainbow in Denver, Colo.
It was the KBCO "tuesday night special" concert for $6.
There was an ice storm that night and the roads were bad.
About 200 people were there and Bono called everyone to gather at the front of the stage. It was his birthday and he passed out champagne. I'd never heard of them accept a little airplay of "I Will Follow" from Boy. I knew then they'd be huge one day.

Roy Buchannan - 1982 The Olympic Club, Boulder Colo.
You would have had to hear him play live to understand how great he was. His recordings never did him justice. He brought God and the Devil through your soul at the same time.

Robin Trower - 1993 The Catlyst in Santa Cruz, CA.
I couldn't believe the passion and feeling eminating from every note. I've seen him several times since and it seemd like he's phoning it in by comparison. Something about that gig that he just had the magic working.

Rolling Stones - 2005 The Pepsi Center in Denver, Colo.
Mick Jagger is an incredible performer. Ron Wood was excellent on guitar and slide. That mini-stage rolling up towards me as they played "Honk Tonk Women". Keith was a bit off, but then that's Keef. It was like seeing them in a small club.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

ELP at the Lyric Theater in Baltimore was the first time I saw them around the same time, but down here in VA, YES opened for Jethro Tull.

Ted Nugent and The Bob Seger System also played the Annandale campus
of NVCC .

The school shut down doing concerts after Ted climbed up on top
of his Marshall stack and jumped down wearing nothing but his loin cloth
in plain view of the Dean of students. heh

Alice Cooper slashed a pillow full of down feathers in front of a fan
causing an indoor snowstorm of feather down.

I saw Coop both times at the Alexandria roller rink
with Black Sabbath and with Edgar Winter's White Trash
as openers.

It's kinda hard to forget the visuals of standing back stage
carrying on a comical chat with Edgar Winter and The Coop

The Coop is so normal and down to earth off stage
and highly intelligent and business savvy.

They had been touring and recording for 7 years before
they broke their first hit.
Old 19th December 2010
pat metheny group 'the way up' tour
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Early Dire Straits live. Every clip of them live from the 80s basically
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
ELP at the Lyric Theater in Baltimore was the first time I saw them around the same time, but down here in VA, YES opened for Jethro Tull.

Ted Nugent and The Bob Seger System also played the Annandale campus
of NVCC .

The school shut down doing concerts after Ted climbed up on top
of his Marshall stack and jumped down wearing nothing but his loin cloth
in plain view of the Dean of students. heh

Alice Cooper slashed a pillow full of down feathers in front of a fan
causing an indoor snowstorm of feather down.

I saw Coop both times at the Alexandria roller rink
with Black Sabbath and with Edgar Winter's White Trash
as openers.

It's kinda hard to forget the visuals of standing back stage
carrying on a comical chat with Edgar Winter and The Coop

The Coop is so normal and down to earth off stage
and highly intelligent and business savvy.

They had been touring and recording for 7 years before
they broke their first hit.
thumbsup
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've seen a lot of bands: Stones, Doobies, Journey, Ohio Players, Chicago,(1970), Thad Jones/Mel Lewis, Cannonball Aderley, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Sly Stone, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, AWB, AC/DC, The Who, (1981), ZZ Top,Ray Charles, Aerosmyth, STP, Earth, Wind & Fire, Cheryl Crow, Willy, Waylon, Dixie Chicks, etc, etc...
The three best shows: Parlaiment/Funkadelic/Bootsie's Rubber Band/ Fred & the JB's.(1975)
Bob Dylan (2004)
Robert Plant/Allyson Crause

Love this thread.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've seen LOTS of great shows, but probably my favorite, and eye opening, was Genesis in April '72. This was their first US tour, as an opening act for It's A Beautiful Day. They blew away the 500 or so attendees in the small gym the show was held at, not to mention blowing away IABD.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Nut

Best one so far was this past Oct. 21, Mega, Slayer, and Anthrax. My first time seeing all three bands, and it was an amazing show.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Frank Zappa at RPI around 1978... Ruth was amazing!

Peter Gabriel, Security tour 1980... got my Stick that year.

The Who at SPAC in 1976

Marshall Tucker Band and BB King. 1978.. odd combo for a tour but man they both killed.

Many of the tours I warmed up for were a lot of fun as well, Marshal Tucker, Winter Brothers Band, Henry Paul Band, Great Southern, Joan Jet & The Blackhearts, Commander Cody, Orleans, Molly Hatchet, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Larry Coryell, John Hall, Freddie Fender, etc... man touring was fun back then... every tour was an adventure... in survival.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search