The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLA 003/DIGI 192 Shoot Out!
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

BLA 003/DIGI 192 Shoot Out!

So i got my 003 back from BLA the other day (signature mod + an additional world clock upgrade) and i just finished doing shoot outs between my new BLA 003 and a DIGI192 (original, not the new ones by AVID).

My BLA 003 beat the DIGI 192 in EVERY test. The only thing the 192 has on the 003 now is the ability to go to 192/176.4Khz and support for TDM processing.

The 003 KILLS the 192 with it's low end response. We had two PT systems running simultaneously, with it's outputs being fed into an analog console. We had the same tracks pulled up on each PT system so we could A/B both the D/A converters and the clocks, and wow. The 003's low end was night and day, and blind tests picked the 003 every time, much more depth and clarity.

For recording we either used a U87 or 421 into an Avalon or Vintec x73 and then multed the signal to go to the 192 and 003's line-ins. For some reason the 003's signal was always 4dB louder. Either the cable run (patch bay) to the 192 induced a good bit of signal degradation or there was a trim somewhere in the chain. I compensated for this later by gaining down the 003's tracks by 4 dB in Pro Tools.

We also did a shoot out between the Avalon 737 and the 003's pre's. Since we multed the mic's signal i guess the ohms got ****ed up 'cause i needed to practically DIME the preamp gain on both the 003 and Avalon. Since i wanted the comparison to be fair, we recored the vocal twice. Both times the 003's preamp gain was just about all the way up, and with the Avalon, the first pass we had the preamp gain dimed, the "high gain" button engaged, and the output gain adjusted appropriately. The second pass we took off the "high gain" button and had the preamp and output gain dimed.

After everything was recorded we imported all the tracks to the HD system and i set up it so we could properly A/B them with blind tests. Out of all the tracks i thought sounded better, 6/8 of them were the BLA 003's track :D

So yea, i am VERY happy with my mod, and really happy i got the additional word clock upgrade (only $100 extra and it's supposed to be equivalent to/the same clock as the one in their FM192).

If anyone wants to check out the files i set up a PT session that you can open up and do a blind test. Just don't look at the the edit window until you finish deciding which track sounds better in each A/B test.

Download BLA 003 vs DIGI 192 blind test.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (88.2khz)

Download BLA 003 vs DIGI 192 - 44.1.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (44.1khz)

Download DIGI 192 shoot out- audio files.zip from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way (JUST the audio files)

i did shoot outs with:

- a male Singer
- a male Rapper
- mic'd up Guitar cab (not the best cab)
- DI'd Guitar
- DI's Bass
- Floor Tom
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

*bump* because i feel like SOME one has to be interested in this, haha
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

This was done so may time....... search the forum........
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

This has been done before, but your test was the most helpful and informative for me.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
Old 21st December 2010
Gear Maniac

No problem, i wanted to do it for myself for fun, haha.

And i know it has, but i've never found any thread that had actual files to listen to or more in depth analysis of the shoot out. I tried searching for something like this a while ago and never really found too many direct shoot outs with an HD system
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search