The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help wit protools
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Help wit protools

im a musician and a producer i never really went on the technical side of protool yet so i decided to start workin from home i recently just got pro tools 9. my fell comrade is a genius in this **** not to mention hes been doin this for a while. just askin whats the easiest approach to gettin familiar with this program. im sitting here now watching this tutorial vid and its killing me *scratches eyes out*lol any help or opinions are greatly appreciated thanks guys
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

create tracks= ctrl+shift+n check out the different types, stereo/mono, audio/aux etc...

Record enable a track by pressing the little red button at the track header.

and record something crtl+numpad3

Once you've recorded something, press ctrl+numpad1 and bring up the mix window. Mix it, then bounce it.

Just start using it for a goal in mind. Once a question comes up, look it up in youtube for a video that relates to what you are trying to do. ie. Lets say you don't know how to crossfade once you have made an edit, look up.. "crossfade pro tools".

Just start using it, and it will all come to you. DAWs are pretty vast, and there is a huge amount that one person can't just tell you right away. Just think about what you want to do with it right in the moment, and start there.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
just compose a simple song on it. edit, arrange, bounce. repeat.
Old 18th December 2010
Here for the gear

Help wit protools

Cool thanx man
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

I highly recommend you buy this book:

Amazon.com: Producing in the Home Studio With Pro Tools BK/DVD-Rom 3rd Edition (Berklee Press) (9780876390801): FRANZ DAVID: Books

It's very down to earth and also contains good advice on recording in general, and setting up your studio. It also comes with a dvd-rom that has video tutorials and some sessions to practice with.

This was written for Protools 7.3, but even if you're on 8 or 9, 95% of this will still apply and get you up and running.

You might also find it at your local music store, but just make sure the cover looks like in that picture (3rd edition).
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Cody's tips are good. You should give them a shot. The best thing can be just diving in and setting some tracks up to record and fudging your way through. But you'll be diving back into the manual a lot. Quick Guides are good too for this way of working.

Definitely try and get a book on Pro Tools or a printed manual. There is so much to absorb that some days you need to start in one place and just be methodical. Be patient. Don't get frustrated. Have fun.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search