The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Empirical Destressor vs Klark dn 500 plz note NOT dn 500 plus Digital Converters
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Empirical Destressor vs Klark dn 500 plz note NOT dn 500 plus

Hi
Anyone please help!

I'm all new to audio compressors.

I have pro tools 9, a Vintech X73i, Rosetta 200, a Nuemann M147, and due to a little short on funds I was recommnded to buy a Klark DN 500, Not he DN 500 plus series... I did n I think it sounds great but I have nothing else to AB it with...

I know youre only strong as your weakest lik in the chain. dfegad

I'm not one to get sucked into hype. But Ive read and heard a lot of great things about the Empirical Lab EL8X Distressor. Can anyone tell me if the Distressor is that much better of a compressor than the older Klark DN 500?

My friend who advised me to get the Klark, literally has about 70 pieces of different hardware like Avalon, and the UA 1176, ect...
said he uses his Klark more often then his more expensive units. Says Klark is more spunchy and in your face. But the Distressor is great and is just more versitile, Klark only offers one sound the Klark sound. So why spend all that extra money for the Distressor?

I need to use compression on vocals guitars and bass. My muisc is in the classic rock meets old school r n b and blues n pop... I'm recording my first professional album...

Please advise?

Cheers
Shaman
Old 18th December 2010
Well if you want the klark sound then I think you should get the clark.

However for your type of music and your needs IMO you really cannot beat an 1176. I use a Purple MC77 it is killer on vox, bass, you name it.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Hi
Thank you for your thoughts. I wish on the 1176 but youre talking about $2800.00 or more.

The EL8X I can get for around $1450.00

And I already have the Klark like I said I think the Klark rocks after recording vocals, guitars and bass for it, it only cost me $300.00.

Cheers
Shaman
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post

And I already have the Klark like I said I think the Klark rocks after recording vocals, guitars and bass for it, it only cost me $300.00.

Cheers
Shaman
If it sounds good, it is good. If you like what you're hearing, then keep using the Klark!

Frank

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search