The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running a 6505+ head at post 8 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Running a 6505+ head at post 8

Hey there, I was jamming (with earplugs), but I found that I needed to run my head at a post of 8 to hear it in the mix with everything else. Can you get any issues running the head at 8 for long periods of time?

Yes we play loud and heavy melodic metal.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
The louder you run it, the faster you wear out tubes. That's it. Oh yes, and the more you risk blowing up speakers if you have them underpowered (you need at least 200w capacity for a 6505 running hot).
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Ah, yes. So then, will a 4x12 with 75 watt celestians have a cumulative load of 300 watts? And if the head is labeled a 120 watt head, where is this extra wattage coming from 120-200?

So I guess its like running a light bulb really hot. Its going to burn out a lot faster. Appx. how many hours could you run the tubes at post 10 compared to post 5 or any other increment?

Also another question. I was playing a Soldanis head just before playing my 6505+. One thing I noticed on the Soldanis was that when I would play lead licks, the high notes would just cut right through, and sound pretty amazing. When I went back to the 6505+ The low end, and chords were definitely loud enough, but when I went on playing the high solo lead parts, they were harder to define than the Soldanis. Even experimenting with different channels, and resonance and presence on full. I just had new electo harmonix pre amp tubes put in it too. Its not like it wasn't outputting any volume, a bend on the 12th fret and high E were shaking guitar picks and lighters right off the cab. It just didn't seem to cut through as much over top of my 2nd guitarists chords.

Is it just that the Soldanis is a better head? What is the mechanics behind this?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search