The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing, Monitoring, playback via stereo system?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Mixing, Monitoring, playback via stereo system?

So I have a stereo reciever/ power amp and 4 speakers (pioneer) that can be powered (I think 200watts, 12'' speakers w/ tweeters)...How good is this set-up for monitoring/ playback? Or atleast how does it compare to the traditional monitor route?

Many thanks!
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear
bump
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear
double bump....

any one try this or have advice/ opnion?j

Thanks.
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
So I have a stereo reciever/ power amp and 4 speakers (pioneer) that can be powered (I think 200watts, 12'' speakers w/ tweeters)...How good is this set-up for monitoring/ playback? Or atleast how does it compare to the traditional monitor route?
I don't know about your Pioneer but the problem with home stereo speakers is that usually they are made not to be accurate but to sound "good" (read enhanced bass and highs). So they will not be good for mixing. Also there are additional electronics in the receiver that the signal passes through which further colors the sound especially if you apply the loudness button (Fletcher-Munson EQ).

I have used a receiver (NAD), but it had an output that tapped the inputs directly without the signal going through any processing. This output was sent to a Hafler power amp that drove my studio monitors. The receiver had its own home speakers connected to it which I used whenever I wanted to see how the final mix translates to home speakers (I just turned off the Hafler and turned on the home speakers switch on the receiver). Not ideal, I know, because the input signal from the DAW was being split into two (one that went to the direct output and one that went through the receiver's internal electronics). But it was a cheap way of being able to A/B between studio monitors and home speakers.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear
^^

Yea, ok so they're too colored to be true...

You know though, since everyone actually hears music through 'colored' systems, wouldn't it actually be best to mix through a colored system as the main goal is to get it to sound good to the end user anyway....hmm
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

consumer gear has many different flavors of color. mixing in one particular color may make a different color sound completely whack.

we are dealing with raw audio here. a colored system may miss many details (some good, most bad) that a neutral system can unveil.

playback environment is just as important as playback system. as the room has just as much if not more so coloring effect to your listening than the speakers. a large open warehouse, for example, would probably make a terrible listening environment.
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
^^

You know though, since everyone actually hears music through 'colored' systems, wouldn't it actually be best to mix through a colored system as the main goal is to get it to sound good to the end user anyway....hmm
No, if you record solely through your home stereo then you've just made a good sounding recording for everybody that has that exact stereo system.
Now when you listen to it in your car, or on your buddy's stereo, it is going to sound completely different. There will be parts of the song that your stereo doesn't show you, but the next guy's system might make that one part stick out. I used stereo system recording for a long time before i had the money to buy monitors. It does the job for a beginner.
Old 24th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarenvy View Post
you've just made a good sounding recording for everybody that has that exact stereo system
in the exact same room
Old 24th December 2010
Quote:
^^

Not really.

Because, in order to readily get the most 'portable' mix, you need to mix from the 'middle' of the potential range of colors. Since those colors spread out in all conceivable directions, the 'center' is an accurate sound.

So the best monitoring is the most neutral, most accurate.

That said, one can, indeed, 'learn' a given monitoring environment and figure out how to tinker the mix in order to help assure some kind of portability. But it's not straightforward and may require not just working assiduously with 'reference' mixes but also a learning process where you do, indeed, walk your mixes to different environments so you can get some kind of idea of how things will work out on the very wide variety of playback systems.
Old 25th December 2010
Lives for gear
^Thanks for all the responses, makes much more sense now...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search