The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use an A&H Zed R16 in a commercial facility? Control Surfaces
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Anyone use an A&H Zed R16 in a commercial facility?

Thinking about picking one up, and would like to see if anyone is making a living with one of these things.

How do you use it? Tracking, mixing, monitoring, headphones, etc.?

How do your clients like the sound? Workflow?
Old 17th December 2010
I'd never use one in a commercial studio purely because of the channel count. Home studios and demo rooms maybe but not a commercial facility. Drums would take up half your console at times, very little space to do anything else with then.

Have a look at the Allen&Heath GSR-24, GS3000 and maybe an Allen&Heath live console (like a big GL) - we're installing a 32 channel GL3300 in our new build soom heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

I rarely use more than 16 inputs during basic tracking, and if I need to , i have a few more channels of pres/conversion I can patch in.

Most overdubs and overheads, kick, snare, bass, will be tracked through the few channels of "big money" pres i have.

So I'm mainly interested in the R16s summing, pres as utility pieces, and overall impression on clients.

Anyone else?
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
'm mainly interested in the R16s summing, pres as utility pieces, and overall impression on clients.
I couldn't comment on the summing abilities but I've always had good experiences with Allen&Heath preamps. As for impression on clients, that depends on what else you have in your studio. It'll be more impressive than a tiny mixer, not as impressive as a big console and probably equal to a Mackie Control (since the Mackie has motorized faders, people are impressed).
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search