The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me set up mics for my drum set? Dynamic Microphones
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Help me set up mics for my drum set?

Hello everybody. I hope I’m posting this on the right forum.

So, I’m doing a session soon with a friend of mine. I have the following microphones available:

Shure 58
2x Shure 57
Sennheiser MD421 & e906
Akg D112, 4000B, 214
Beyer Dynamic MC-930 stereo pair + Beyer’s Ribbon m160

I have 8 tracks available.

The kit is a tight one: Zildjans a-custom 16”, 18” crash and 20” as the ride + Zildjan a-custom 14” as the Hi-hat. Plus I have a bass drum, Snare(Gretsch) and one floor tom, no front tom included with the kit in this session.

How would you set up these microphones with the drums? The Akg D112 is for the bass drum. Already did a soundcheck with it and sounds fine. The room is pretty small: maybe about 3,5 m x 7 m and 2,5 from the floor to the roof(ceiling?)

Thanks.

Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

I would put the 57s snare top and bottom. Make sure you flip the phase on one of them.

I would use your stereo pair as the overheads.

I would also put the 421 on the floor tom.

I would also try the ribbon on the hihat, but make sure its a good distance away, or a high SPL can damage it.

But that said, Ive never used 4000b, 214, mc930, or m160. But have used m500s and all the others.

If you have extra mics, try them out as hihat and tom, maybe even snare for the purpose of gaining engineering knowledge.

But it is given that you should use your matched pair as the stereo.

Ah, and if you have an extra channel, use it as a room mic or maybe a crush.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. Just how sensitive is this ribbon mic? I've read about its sensitivity but have not yet used it on anything and am a bit cautios about where should put it. I was thinking I will try it on the snare-top side.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

"I'd be careful - blew my M160 using it on snare drum, mic the shell, not the batter head or the vent hole."

Tape Op Message Board :: View topic - ribbon mics on snare?

If your going to mic the snare, test with your hand first to see if there is a blast of air where you are going to put it. Most people suggest at the shell.

Also, ive also read somewhere else of somebody putting the m160 about snare height, and a foot away from the whole kit. Just to add to another mic that is right on the snare.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

If you're worried about hurting your ribbon, then use a pop filter -- nothing wrong with that, just because it's not being sung into. It'll still break up the air and protect the mic without harming the sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search