The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
16 outs summing... Help picking converters Monitor Controllers
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

16 outs summing... Help picking converters

ATM I'm only really tracking a few things at a time, a lot of the stuff I mix is vst based or recorded elsewhere but the problem is in summing.

I have two Motu 828mk2s running 16 outputs into a TLA a4 summing box then back into the Motu for the mixdown.

How can I improve this setup? Converters can get really expensive which is why I've put it off for so long. I don't have the money to be going out and getting into the UA 2192 territory so I need a "bang for buck" type of situation here.
Old 17th December 2010
improve monitoring/ acoustics.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoconnor
improve monitoring/ acoustics.
+1

I would also look at adding a stereo mojo unit between the outs of the summing mixer and before going back ITB. In my experience, this added WAY more than just summing into the Dangerous Music 2bus lt.

You don't have the best converters.....but, you can make great music with them just fine. 5% increase with better converters. 25% increase with better outboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I've got lots of outboard comps and eq's from ssl stuff to clariphonic eq that I use alongside the summing unit.

The rooms treated and is being tweaked now as we speak. Floor to ceiling 8inch basstraps behind the speakers and in all corners, all the initial reflection points are covered and diffusers are being built this week for the back.

Monitoring is done via Event Opals and ns10s.

The weakest link is the conversion.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

And the mackie bigknob.... How could I forget
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh no no no !! Right now your weakest link is the mackie! get rid of that big knob!! It is well known for smudging all the mids and lows. Get a proper passive attenuator (a simple TC Pilot would be MUCH better) and that alone will improve your sound tremendously!
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Oh well you didn't say all that!
1. Loose the BK.
2. Dangerous Music Monitor ST or Cranesong A.
3. Best bang for buck is the 24ch SSL converters. You can get one and go I/O ADAT into the Motu 1+2 and still be expandable via MADI.

Biggest upgrade will come from ditching the MK and actually here how acceptable the Motu really are.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac
just get Black Lion Audio to mod your MOTU's. Conversion solved. You'll actually want to use those mic preamps afterwards as well...

and replace the Mackie Big Knob (TC Level Pilot or SM Nanopatch will do, cheaply).

If your acoustic treatment/environment is good, you'll become a happy camper!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

The cranesongs definately out my budget for now.

I need it to have a remote of some sort, I dim things when recording a lot so going over to the rack every time will be a bit of a pain.

Need 2 stereo inputs, and 3 sets of speakers, and talkback. Seems this is more important than my converters now
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

https://www.kmraudio.com/coleman-m3ph-mkii.html

if that had a dim, talkback and a controller... id be in
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Too easy! Wait for the UBK monitor controller to hit the market. It's everything you need. I did a shoot out on the central station and it does not cloud the signal but it is built like crap.

You will not find a better 16 ch. converter than the "B" word ADA8000 for under $1,700 so u might as well get the dangerous ST and call it a day until you have +2k for 16 ch of conversion.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Lynx Aurora16 here. By far the best bang-for-the-buck converter I've ever encountered. And I've gone through A LOT of them

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search