The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Converters and Interfaces Audio Interfaces
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Converters and Interfaces

I am planning on picking up a AD/DA converter. I am looking at Mytek, Apogee, Lucid and Lynx. Can anybody tell me what converters can be used as interfaces? I know lynx can but I see the terms Adat and AES but I have no idea what those are.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRO View Post
I am planning on picking up a AD/DA converter. I am looking at Mytek, Apogee, Lucid and Lynx. Can anybody tell me what converters can be used as interfaces? I know lynx can but I see the terms Adat and AES but I have no idea what those are.
Well, your post kind of begs the question - how do we interpret the semantics before us. I think they can all be used as interfaces, but with their specific interfacing protocols.

I guess the most rudimentary things have been established to exist within an "interface" connected to a computer, but perhaps this evolves from the prehistoric marketing premise of "all in one"....

Analog Input and Output Devices for Computer hardware, can pretty much all be recognized as "interfaces" as they connect the digital signal to the analog world and reversely, connect analog components to a digital world.

Therein lies the rest of the equation.

What else should it have? Headphone amplifiers, Level Control, etc......

Should it just be a pathway for ADA, should it give you a monitor mixer, microphone preamplifier's?

A tough doorway to step though, I know.

Anyway - AES/EBU and ADAT optical are simply standard protocols for digital audio, so these options [or standards] for the units can be used to "interface" the device with other AES/EBU to ADAT devices.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Mytek! We sold apogee ad/da16x and buy Mytek!
They sound better then apogee's IMHO!

take a look on this blind test:
A/D Converter Shootout (with samples)
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Converters and Interfaces

I had a Focusrite Saffire 56 interface and I upgraded to the Apogee ensemble. Has 4 clean pres on there and can be used as an interface that I use with Logic. I also love the integration that logic has with Apogee. The difference in sound between my interfaces was night and day. I couldn't stop just listening to music cause I had heard things that I never did before. ADAT and AES are just more I/O to expand out for more channels and options. I would highly recommend Apogee from my experience
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansonwing View Post
ADAT and AES are just more I/O to expand out for more channels and options. I would highly recommend Apogee from my experience
Yes, but no!

In some contexts, yes they are.

But ADAT and AES protocols are digital audio formats. IE ways to connect the interfaces.

For the OP:

If a converter has something like a firewire card option, then it can be used as a standalone interface.

If it has ADAT/AES/SPDIF, it isn't an "interface" as such, strictly speaking it's a digital converter. It doesn't need Coreaudio/ASIO drivers, but it also won't talk to the computer directly either. It will require an additional interface with digital inputs (such as those made by lynx as you mention), and it's this interface that is seen by the computer.

Alternately, to bring us back to the quote above, you can use them as expanders to interfaces with digital i/o such as the ensemble, Digi 002/003, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search