The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does MDW Massenburg Plugin company still exist? Equalizer Plugins
Old 17th December 2010

Does MDW Massenburg Plugin company still exist?

Posting this is the last thing I ever wanted to do but I have been having trouble with my Massenburg EQ plugin crashing my system and constantly not working. I have tried to contact the company numerous times over the past year and they have never responded once, the last time the email kicked back as a dead email address. Does anyone know what's up? I've been very patient.
Old 17th December 2010
I think you have to contact Digidesign, I think they are the support for that plug-in.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I believe avid is the offical MDW EQ distributor.

Running V 2 on PT 9 without any problems here.

Which version do you have ?
Old 17th December 2010

Well if that's the case they should change the site.
Old 18th December 2010
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Posting this is the last thing I ever wanted to do but I have been having trouble with my Massenburg EQ plugin crashing my system and constantly not working. I have tried to contact the company numerous times over the past year and they have never responded once, the last time the email kicked back as a dead email address. Does anyone know what's up? I've been very patient.
hi James,
clearly, the MDWEQ3 shouldn't be doing this, and i'm very happy to help. seems like every time i think we've caught up with a problem, another weird case pops up.

can you please give me an idea of what your system looks like? Mac or PC? how much RAM? PT8? PT9? all native (RTAS MDWEQ3)? or TDM? how many Accel cards? Presto cards? what kind of session (it might matter) 48k 96k 192k (shudder)? how many EQ instantiations? it would help to know what other plugs are running (you could take a screen snap of your PlugIn folder)

looking forward to helping,
George
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gml View Post
hi James,
clearly, the MDWEQ3 shouldn't be doing this, and i'm very happy to help. seems like every time i think we've caught up with a problem, another weird case pops up.

can you please give me an idea of what your system looks like? Mac or PC? how much RAM? PT8? PT9? all native (RTAS MDWEQ3)? or TDM? how many Accel cards? Presto cards? what kind of session (it might matter) 48k 96k 192k (shudder)? how many EQ instantiations? it would help to know what other plugs are running (you could take a screen snap of your PlugIn folder)

George
Gotta love the internet!

Hi George.

Steve
Old 18th December 2010

Quote:
hi James,

George
Whoa I didn't expect this. Now I feel weirder then I already did about posting this.

Well here it goes, the plug in crashes my system so we stopped using it. It's the best eq we own so it's been a bummer.

Mac G5 dual 2 gig with 4 gigs of ram, old school
pt7.4
tiger
iLok: jameslugo

Any help would be appreciated George, I'm also a lifelong fan of your work, maybe some of your success will rub off with the new plugin.heh

[email protected]
Old 19th December 2010
gml
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
Whoa I didn't expect this. Now I feel weirder then I already did about posting this.

Well here it goes, the plug in crashes my system so we stopped using it. It's the best eq we own so it's been a bummer.

Mac G5 dual 2 gig with 4 gigs of ram, old school
pt7.4
tiger
iLok: jameslugo

Any help would be appreciated George, I'm also a lifelong fan of your work, maybe some of your success will rub off with the new plugin.heh

[email protected]
not weird at all. i'm very happy to know first-hand when something doesn't work for someone. i don't need to tell you that it used to work on a G5 under 7.4 on Tiger. it's been a while, though. we'll have to dig one out and re-test it. meanwhile, can you give me an idea if you got a Mac Crash Report when PT went down? did you by any chance save it? that would make finding the problem go much, much faster.

thanks again
George
Old 19th December 2010

George,

It has been doing for a few years, at first I just worked around it but then we started to avoid it. 2 thing happen:

1. Sessions that it's on will sometimes crash when opening or will open and the plugin is grey'd out.

2. When you go to put the plug in on a track it freezes the session.

I got it many years ago as a part of a Digi Massive Pack. If memory serves me I think we re-installed the plugin once or twice and it didn't fix the problem. The drag has been is that it's the best eq we we have IMO, especially for vocals so it has been missed.

This is what it says in my iLok account:

Product: MDW Hi-Res Parametric EQ
Company: Digidesign Type: License
Expiration: Never
Date downloaded: 04/05/2007

Now I think I originally purchased it when I did my big upgrade to HD, which was 6 years ago so either '04 or '05 so the '07 download is probably an attempt at fixing the issue.

I really appreciate you trying to help.

James
[email protected]
818 259 0190

p.s. Now looking at the iLok license it says Digi, weird. If you could help out that would rock, I can't imagine trying to go through Avid... Whoa, have you tried to get them on the phone lately? It's like you need an act of Congress...lol Major ordeal.
Old 6th February 2011

Quote:
not weird at all. i'm very happy to know first-hand when something doesn't work for someone. i don't need to tell you that it used to work on a G5 under 7.4 on Tiger. it's been a while, though. we'll have to dig one out and re-test it. meanwhile, can you give me an idea if you got a Mac Crash Report when PT went down? did you by any chance save it? that would make finding the problem go much, much faster.

thanks again
George
Plug is still dead George. If you get a chance to email.

[email protected]

Thanks
Old 6th February 2011
Here for the gear

What version is in your plug-ins folder?
This is in the MDW EQ 2.0 Read Me:
Quote:
If MDW EQ Version 2.0 Is Installed, Version 1.x Should Be Removed
If the MDW v1.x and 2.0 are both installed in the Plug-ins folder, Pro Tools may crash during a plug-in shuffle. Since there is no reason to have both 1.x and 2.0 installed, the MDW 2.0 installer program will place the 1.x plug-in into the Plug-ins (Unused) folder.
If you got this with a MassivePack, it was probably MassivePack 5
Check to make sure you have the right version (2.0.2 or higher) for your system:
MDW EQ v2.x Downloads
Old 6th February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Trombone View Post
What version is in your plug-ins folder?
This is in the MDW EQ 2.0 Read Me:

If you got this with a MassivePack, it was probably MassivePack 5
Check to make sure you have the right version (2.0.2 or higher) for your system:
MDW EQ v2.x Downloads
I will check Monday when I get in. Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar issue with MDW V3 on my PT 8 HD rig.

What happens is on several occasions when I load an instance of MDW the track will not play then PT and I get a message that PT cannot voice tracks or an audio interface has timed out. This happens more often when I copy the plugin to another track.

Sometimes when I load an instance of MDW and adjust the EQ it will show that it has clipped then the track will no longer play.

Tried downloading MDW 3.0.1 but then it said I did not have a licence for it. I do have a Ilok licence for MDW 3.0

I never had this issue with MDW V2.

I am runing PT HD 3 non Accel
Mac G5 OSX 10.5
PPC with PT 8.0.1 cs2
Old 23rd January 2012

I finally just gave up and threw the plug in out. Wish I had my money back.
Old 23rd January 2012
Lives for gear

That is shocking. Such a lack of customer support, and from a company / person so well respected as George Massenburg, is just shocking.

I was going to buy this plugin at some point, but now I won't.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

Well it is a really good EQ.

But have wasted a lot of time rebooting after this thing keeps killing sessions. Not a good look in front of an artist to see this happen.

Had a bit of a look through threads here and on DUC and seems I am not alone. Worst thing is the issues never seem to get resolved. Definitely not in a timely manner anyway.

Anyway hoping I can get a license for 3.0.1 to work seeing as I already have 3.0 maybe that can help out but for now this will have to go alongside my Slate plugins in the unreliable folder.
Old 24th January 2012
Lives for gear

The thing that I find really strange and annoying with this plug is that, even though PT says that it creates 0 samples of latency, it messes with the phase if you put it on one channel of say, for example, two phase aligned guitar mics and not the other (even bypassed).

The work round is to put an instance of it on all phase aligned tracks and bypass the ones you don't use. Why? Digi EQ, for example, does not do this.
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Just wondering if anyone who has used this plugin has had this issue resolved. For me V2 was fine but since going to V3 and PT8 it is too unreliable to use.

It's a great plugin so hping to get a working version.

Also If I have MDW TDM V3 should that cover me for the 3.0.1 update licence. When I load the 3.0.1 version I am asked to register it but I have V3 license for TDM.
Old 27th January 2012
Is there another plugin on the market that lets you solo listen to what you are EQing? That's a pretty amazing feature when trying to find resonance or bass notes that pop out too much (especially on upright bass)
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Is there another plugin on the market that lets you solo listen to what you are EQing? That's a pretty amazing feature when trying to find resonance or bass notes that pop out too much (especially on upright bass)

it is indeed a useful thing -

4 others I know of that have similar functionality:

Brainworx
PSP neon
DMG equality
the new avid channel strip in PT 10

there's probably others...
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

Fabfilter Pro-Q.
Old 16th July 2012
Gear Addict

Anyone know if the MDW 3 rtas plugin works on pt10?

If not, does anyone know of a similar plugin?
Old 16th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Brew View Post
Anyone know if the MDW 3 rtas plugin works on pt10?
using it just about everyday here with PT10 and PT10HD Native

Never had a problem with this plug in,
Old 17th July 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
using it just about everyday here with PT10 and PT10HD Native

Never had a problem with this plug in,
Thanks, I saw on the avid website that the update was labeled only up to pt9, so I just wanted to make sure it would work on pt10
Old 26th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
Digidesign EQ that comes as standard in Pro Tools.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search