The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
London: Recommend Gear and Music Store
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

London: Recommend Gear and Music Store

I'll be in freezing London Christmas week. Can anyone recommend a good gear store and music store. Central London preferably.

Thanks.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Best gear shop in London is KMR Audio

But their in North London - about 25 mins on a tube out of central London

So many central London music stores have closed in the last decade :-(

ts
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

For a music store, you need to go to Denmark Street which is a short walk from Tottenham Court Road in central London. Many Many shops there to keep you happy.

For recording gear - as mentioned KMR are great, but also have a look at Funky Junk Home : PROAUDIOEUROPE - Europe's leading suppliers of new and used Proaudio equipment They have a lot of lustfull stuff!
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Make sure you wave money at them in Denmark street - rudest and most excluding customer service I've ever had. They'll only give you the time of day if you're definitely in there to buy something.
Old 17th December 2010
Here for the gear

Denmark St

..it's not the greatest street to buy anymore. All top price and hard to grab a bargain but nice to window shop. I left empty handed last Tuesday prepared to spend and left disgusted by the prices. Wanju's is the friendliest. The Bass centre are rude and Regent Sound - well just don't go there unless you're an expert or very rich but its worth walking right into the back of the shop and standing where everyone from the Stones/Hendrix/Pistols recorded to feel some vibe. for a bargain try Angel Music (Andy). It's upstairs so ring the bell and view some fine guitars on offer. Apart from Wanjus and Angel Music for guitars I'd buy online for any parts.tutt
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not much choice tbh for Central London.
After the closing of Turnkey and Sound Control a few yrs ago,the only one left is Rose Morris on Denmark Str.

Home - Rose Morris and Company Ltd

If you're after guitar stuff,then Denmark Str. is your ticket.

Also,I believe,there is a brand spanking new place around Tottenham Ct.Rd. from the West End DJ guys.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Depends what you want to try, but West End Production has opened at 11 Great Russell St and despite being small has a lot of nice production/synth toys lying around (ask to see the demo room downstairs!).
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

The two places I would go are KMR and HHB - but both outside the central zone.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

I'll be staying in Kensington, if that helps. KMR sounds good.
Old 18th December 2010
Engagement Manager

KMR is where you want go
they are not open at weekends though
but seeing as how next weekend is christmas day i doubt you'll be wanting to go then!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcedist View Post
Depends what you want to try, but West End Production has opened at 11 Great Russell St and despite being small has a lot of nice production/synth toys lying around (ask to see the demo room downstairs!).
Ah,that's the one I'm talkin about!

Cheers
P.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Like others have said -- Denmark Street's ok to browse guitars etc, but you'd be mad to actually buy anything -- vastly overpriced. And yeah, the customer service can be pretty appalling....... Turnkey used to be great, but it's been gone a while now, along with Soundcontrol.... bad times......

KMR Audio is very good -- it'll take you just under an hour on the tube from Kensington.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search