The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AT4033 vs 4033A Condenser Microphones
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
AT4033 vs 4033A

Been thinking about picking one up to add to my AT collection. Just wondering if there's any real noticeable difference between the two. All I could find on the internet was an old SOS article. Apparently AT advertised that they had upgraded the electronics, lowered the noise,etc. Any of you guys have experience with both versions and noticed any difference? If so, which one do you prefer and why? Thanks.

Larry
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I just happen to have an original at4033 that i bought in 1998 or 1999 and i also have an at 4033a that i bought in 2008 and if there is a difference, i can't hear it.
I guess that's not proof that there isn't a slight difference because of the age difference that could be neutralized with a sliver of e.q. but personally, i couldn't care less wich one i grab.They both have that medium diaphram crystal clear sound that i like them for.
As for noise, they're the same.IMO They're both quiet.

By the way, i paid over $1000 for the first one with tax.lol
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Thanks for the reply cavern. I sort of figured that was the case since they seem to sell for the same price (I've done a lot of research-completed Ebay listings and GS classifieds). I suspect it was just marketing hype on AT's part when they "improved" the 4033 by bringing out the A version. I feel for ya about the original price versus the current value. I'll bet most of us here have a lot of stuff that applies to. I know I do. Thanks again for your input.

Larry
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

I would say the difference is a T.

No, seriously, what cavern said.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Read this review of the updated one.
Audio Technica AT4033a
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Audio Technica AT4033a
Hee hee, that's a fun read.He covers all his bases saying stuff like 4033 owners,don't worry,it's still the same good mic,no need to trade up,blah blah.
There might be a new "less noise" suspension mechanisim in the 4033a but the original one was quiet to begin with.They had to do something to it to bring it back when they discontinued it to make it more exiting than the first one or admit their mistake when they tried to replace it with the 4040.
Those guys crack me up....
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Audio Technica AT4033a
Thanks Tube World. That's the same SOS article I had already read.

Cavern, it's funny you mention the 4040. There's one at my local pawn shop that I could pick up for $100 or less. I keep thinking about buying it to add to the "family", then I ask myself why. The 4047 and 4050 (which I already own) are great mics and the 4033 has a reputation for being just as great.I'm really anxious to try one on acoustic guitar. But the consensus seems to be that the 4040 is maybe not so great compared to the other 3, so maybe I'll just pass on it. It's not likely that it would fill any kind of void in my mic locker anyway.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys. I will begin my quest and buy whichever of the 2 versions I can find the best deal on.

Larry
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adathead 53 View Post
Thanks Tube World. That's the same SOS article I had already read.

Cavern, it's funny you mention the 4040. There's one at my local pawn shop that I could pick up for $100 or less. I keep thinking about buying it to add to the "family", then I ask myself why. The 4047 and 4050 (which I already own) are great mics and the 4033 has a reputation for being just as great.I'm really anxious to try one on acoustic guitar. But the consensus seems to be that the 4040 is maybe not so great compared to the other 3, so maybe I'll just pass on it. It's not likely that it would fill any kind of void in my mic locker anyway.

Anyway, thanks for all the input guys. I will begin my quest and buy whichever of the 2 versions I can find the best deal on.

Larry
Yeah, i bought a 4040 and it's a good mic but i returned it cause like you speculate, its nothing that a 4050 can't do better in 3 different ways.
Under $100 though, its a great deal.

The 4033 though is a flavor all its own, no other mic sounds like it, i use it on my deluxe reverb amp,3 feet back with an sm7 in the grill. I love the combination, but to each his/her own.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search