The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop Filter Recommendations? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 16th December 2010
Deleted User
Pop Filter Recommendations?

Looking for best one under $100

Steel or Cloth??

Thanks
Old 17th December 2010
Deleted User
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Stedman

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Some people say steel add’s a “shine” to the sound recording into the microphone.

I prefer steel, but not the cheap Blue Microphone pop filters. Plastic works just fine though; I have actually recorded without a pop filter. You just need distance, the right mic (high end,) pre-amp (high end,) and a nice room to record without one.

Just make sure the pop filter has the long arm instead of the really tiny mount like Blue uses. It adds flexibility and makes sure the mesh isn’t touching the microphone grill.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Stedman: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ter?sku=421104

Rubber coating on goose neck helps it stay in place better than some cheaper ones.
Singing thru a cloth filter is like pulling your shirt up over your face........can dampen clarity somewhat and not as easy to clean.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I am curious too. What are most people using: fabric or metal?
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
+1
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I'm using the neumann mesh filter from SW... It's alright. Kinda want that stedman.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

i have a stedman and dont use it. its awful.
blow into it and it makes the craziest sshhshshs sound.
totally audible in recordings.
dont get how other people are ok with it.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymac View Post
i have a stedman and dont use it. its awful.
totally audible in recordings.
dont get how other people are ok with it.
good to know... I was starting to regret not buying one.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't blow into it.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames View Post
Don't blow into it.
heh

"When I press here it hurts."

"Well, then don't press there."

I have a couple of Blue pop filters, a couple of Stedmans and a couple of some little plastic thingies. They all sound ok to me. Although I love their mics I'm not too crazy about Blue's accessory designs i.e. the fastening devices of their shock mounts and pops.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrichner View Post
You just need distance, the right mic (high end,) pre-amp (high end,) and a nice room to record without one.
I don't see how the price of a preamp or mic is going to change the effect of plosives....

I have a stedman and I kinda agree with above. Occasionally you can hear the air-through-metal "shwshhh" sound and it's unpleasant. Also it works by redirecting the air rather than stopping it so much, which is fine and all but if you need to be close to the mic it doesn't really redirect it away from the mic... ie you need a few inches of clearance for it to really work. I also have some cheapo shure one (fabric / nylon / whatever it is) that, to me, works just fine too. Sometimes on more extreme sources I'll use them both, works fine. I wouldn't sweat pop filter choice overly, ymmv...
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

i got the 20 dollar one at guitar center works great.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Stedman steel.
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

I actually did a head to head with a Stedman and a cloth pop filter and the difference (on my voice at least) was breathtaking. (Nyuk-nyuk.)

HUGE difference in clarity. Probably the single biggest gear differential I've ever heard, beating every mic, converter, and plugin head to head I've ever heard.

Those with noise issues may want to consider singing a little farther back...might make all the difference.
Old 19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssprod19 View Post
I am curious too. What are most people using: fabric or metal?
whenever possible, without one....
then I use fabric-
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Stedman: Buy Stedman Proscreen XL Pop Filter | Pop Filters | Musician's Friend

Rubber coating on goose neck helps it stay in place better than some cheaper ones.
Singing thru a cloth filter is like pulling your shirt up over your face........can dampen clarity somewhat and not as easy to clean.

I like how the design drills the chrome / paint right off the stand. Totally cool.
Old 19th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween View Post
I like how the design drills the chrome / paint right off the stand. Totally cool.
Thats what I was thinkin too, not cool
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Addict

Hakan P110
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Wow you guys really are hardcore gearslutz.
Right down to pop filters
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyfingers View Post
I actually did a head to head with a Stedman and a cloth pop filter and the difference (on my voice at least) was breathtaking. (Nyuk-nyuk.)

HUGE difference in clarity. Probably the single biggest gear differential I've ever heard, beating every mic, converter, and plugin head to head I've ever heard.

Those with noise issues may want to consider singing a little farther back...might make all the difference.
I assume the winner was Stedman?
Old 19th December 2010
Old 19th December 2010
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post

Yeah, 300 smackers for a pop filter on my Pearlman though?? Man thats rich. Cant argue with PAN60's design though, Tonys vox tracks speak for themselves I guessheh

Remember though, Im looking for $100 or less, the best one in that range
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearluster View Post
I assume the winner was Stedman?
You assume correctly. Sorry if I wasn't clear
Old 19th December 2010
Deleted User
Thanks guys, I ordered the Stedman and will give it a shot

Thanks for this link as well as I may get that too
Popless Voice Screens - Microphone Pop Filters, http://www.popfilter.com/vac6.htm
Old 24th December 2010
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
Yeah, 300 smackers for a pop filter on my Pearlman though?? Man thats rich. Cant argue with PAN60's design though, Tonys vox tracks speak for themselves I guessheh

Remember though, Im looking for $100 or less, the best one in that range
i think in the 100 or less range i would go with the Stedman.
start saving those pennies, you'll want a Blast Pad when you try one: )~
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Maniac

metal pop shields are worse than useless. i bought one in a rush of excitement that i'd never have to jerry-rig a coat-hanger/tights combo again, and was totally bewildered to hear the 'pfff' of air every time the vocalist hit a plosive.
i've tried it with many different singers, some of extremely high calibre, and it's always there. maybe you lose of bit of top end with fabric, but you don't get a massive great blast of air whiffling through metal.

recently i just try to position the mic above the singer's mouth to minimize blast without the need for a filter at all. takes a bit of fiddling but almost always sounds better.
Old 24th December 2010
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
metal pop shields are worse than useless. i bought one in a rush of excitement that i'd never have to jerry-rig a coat-hanger/tights combo again, and was totally bewildered to hear the 'pfff' of air every time the vocalist hit a plosive.
i've tried it with many different singers, some of extremely high calibre, and it's always there. maybe you lose of bit of top end with fabric, but you don't get a massive great blast of air whiffling through metal.

recently i just try to position the mic above the singer's mouth to minimize blast without the need for a filter at all. takes a bit of fiddling but almost always sounds better.
guess it depends on the what you get, some are designed to eliminate that puff of air whiffling around.
Dylan "3-D" Dresdow told me the Blast pad was all over Black Eyed Peas album The E.N.D." (energy never dies).
just one of a multitude of mixers, engineers, and producers that swear by the Blast pas SPL filter.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search