The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Where to place studio foam on the walls? Dynamics Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Where to place studio foam on the walls?

This is the foam kit I ordered: 24x24x3" Thick Studio Acoustic Soundproofing Wedge Foam - eBay (item 260707735951 end time Jan-12-11 08:11:20 PST)

Where do you guys reccomend I glue these blocks up? Mid level up the wall? Behind the drums? Should I put the corner pieces near the drum area?

My room is roughly 30' by 15'.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Nowhere, you gain almost nothing with those but the clue on your walls to take off when you move someday

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...ion-acoustics/

Matti
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

check out GIK and Real Traps.

Even if you don't order anything from them, you will find some very good info on their sites.

I agree though, you're not going to get a whole lot of uses out of that foam...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

I would place them at the first and second reflections of your studio monitors.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I would throw them in the trash.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Good material for packaging when sending gear or xmas presents via post or similar

Matti
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

basically junk. MF gave me a huge box of those for free when i first bought PT8. Once I saw the glue gun it came with, i placed them up on a high closet shelf, never to be seen again.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

These are not completely useless - they help for high frequency reflections and flutter echo, so you can place them at first reflection points for the specular reflections, but unless you also use bass traps or something for low frequency modal absorption as well, you aren't necessarily improving the frequency response of your room..
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I have my booth (vocals 99%) set up with some of this at the first reflection point, and then GIK traps at the second/bass traps.

diffusion can be used effectively as part of a solution, but it is not, in itself, THE solution.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronslaton View Post
This is the foam kit I ordered: 24x24x3" Thick Studio Acoustic Soundproofing Wedge Foam - eBay (item 260707735951 end time Jan-12-11 08:11:20 PST)

Where do you guys reccomend I glue these blocks up? Mid level up the wall? Behind the drums? Should I put the corner pieces near the drum area?

My room is roughly 30' by 15'.
Put them where you thought they would be useful when you decided to buy them. It will be an improvement no matter what.
Old 17th August 2012
Gear Maniac

It's bothersome to me that no one was kind enough to include their reason for why they think the studio foam he purchased is useless. It is easy enough to say something is terrible, but takes a bit more to make such a statement understandable.
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear

Dump the foam. High frequency attenuation only. Your monitoring will be inaccurate and everything you record and mix. Trap your room instead. Check GIK (no affiliation) for more info.
Old 17th August 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jditmer0 View Post
It's bothersome to me that no one was kind enough to include their reason for why they think the studio foam he purchased is useless. It is easy enough to say something is terrible, but takes a bit more to make such a statement understandable.
AnthonyRochester explained it quite well. Foam absorbs high frequencies, so that means you have bass issues, and that's what bass traps are for.

Many project studios are already full of carpets and soft furniture to absorb higher frequencies, but the issue with smaller rooms is bass reflections.
Old 17th August 2012
Here for the gear

Go to Sweetwater.com and print off their room analysis sheet and fill it out as detailed as possible. Showing room dimensions LxWxH), furniture & gear placement, doors, windows, everything. According to your sound issues specific to your room, they have a guy from Auralex that will analyze and "design" your acoustical dressings, for free. I did it with my room and ordered the suggested kit and it really worked wonders. Takes all of the guess work out if you're clueless like me! Figure up what your acoustic products would cost if you were to buy them from Auralex and use that as your budget, because the design is based off of that number. Hope this helps! By the way, I am in no way affiliated with Sweetwater or Auralex. I know this stuff isn't the best but it worked for what I needed which was flutter and echo problems in my big room, and also helped with hi and low freq's.
Old 18th August 2012
Lives for gear

Generally speaking, people over use foam in a room, make it too dead, and the stuff is an incredible pain in the rear to take off the walls once glued down. It does not seem to matter what adhesive was used. It's a huge and very messy dry wall sanding job to get all the residue off when you take it down and eventually it will dry up and you will need to replacre it.

I think foam has a place in a fairly live room when put around a real drum kit, both behind the drums and some on the ceiling to tame the cymbals. I would use the smallest amount you can get away with. You can temporarily tack or nail it to get an idea on how much to use. Put some up, record the drums, and then listen to see if the cymbals are too bright. Keep adding more foam until you get something that sounds balanced to you. I personally do not like vocal booths, but if you make one, then the foam has a use in that. You might also want to make part of the room dead for certain guitar amps. Also, if your room is really terrible sounding, then adding more foam to basically remove the room might make sense.

But generally speaking, if the room is decent, most people would be better off thinking about diffusion and not absportion. Diffusion scatters the sound in random directions which can make the space seem larger and can help improve the sound. If you have a little carpentry skill, you can make your own diffusers.
Old 18th August 2012
Gear Maniac

I use both Auralex foam and DIY traps. I'm in my fourth location in twelve years. I've never glued the foam to the walls. That would be stupid. I glued mine to 1/8" pegboard (some 2'x4' and some 2'x8') and simply screw the pegboard to the wall. It doesn't take much to hold the panels flat against the walls (only six screws w/anchors for the 2'x8' pieces).

When I've moved, I simply take out the screws, patch the small holes and I'm off to the races.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search